Has the repress market become too big?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Has the repress market become too big?

Postby Apostle » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:07 pm

I remember a few years back when Digikiller started releasing represses there were quite some heavy discussions on this forum. A lot of people hated on digikiller because he was repressing all their precious rare records and their market value went down. I used to defend good repress labels and didn't understand where all the hate came from.
At the moment, we're more spoiled than ever with good music. Labels like Top Ranking Sound and especially Jah Fingers seem to inject the record industry with new energy. There might have never been so much repress labels, the quality is high and a lot of it is legit- even though I know there will always be discussion about what is legit or not.

What bothers me for the moment is that 80% or more of the market in reggae records has become repress, and the frequency is way too high. Honestly, I still think it's silly to be angry because your precious original is losing its value- even though my collection suffered from it as well. But it seems like it's basically everything labels do now. Where are the new cutting edge productions? There are exceptions but when I'm browsing Jah Waggy's it seems like it's either repress or just easy 4x4 eurodub remixes of old classics. I used to be all for UK productions but it seems like it's completely drained. I get way more excited about f.e. the new Samory I release than the usual labels from the UK, they're just not innovating anymore. Jah Tubby's is just releasing other people's tunes now, Indica Dubs is a good label but maybe it wouldn't harm them to take down their release tempo a bit...

I'm probably just becoming an old fart but I get this overall feeling of musical INFLATION. I used to be all about reggae coming from the UK because I felt it was much more interesting than the JA reggae I heard so much. Now it's become hard to see what actually stands out...
Apostle

Re: Has the repress market become too big?

Postby John Eden » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:28 am

I think the repress market is about the same as the "revive" market was 20 years ago?

It's just that there are less and less new productions. "Retromania" as Simon Reynolds put it, in his book of the same name.

The past weighs heavy on the present. Pick one repress and one new release at random - which will be better?
John Eden

Postby aksumite » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:02 pm

The way I see it, repress market kind of killed the second-hand market of original press ; it's much harder to find rare original tunes at reasonable prices in decent condition than 10 or 20 years ago.
Quite often the repress is the only way to get hold of certain tunes on vinyl for a new generation of record collectors. Quality of these represses is often questionable.
My friend once said that "eventually, they will repress everything"...

I think the list of tunes that need repress is still quite long and on one hand it gives record buyers great expectations what would be repressed next, on the other hand it's kind of sad to see the current productions repetitive and shallow. It seems like everyone who has a computer and music software wants to be the next King Tubby...

IMHO the strength of old Jamaican music, that we all enjoy in its original or repressed format, is the musical and spiritual vibe of singers and players of instruments ; the vibe that came from trials and tribulations of ghetto sufferrah, people who lived and breathed that music in their daily life
Obviously record producers wanted to sell their product but without methods we have available these days like social media etc, reggae dances were often the only way of promotion new music.
So if certain records in 60s or 70s were pressed in small runs it was because of budget limitations and lack of promotion and nowadays it's all about hype...

I just saw some clown on discogs who's asking 10 grand for the new Alton Ellis dubplate from Soul Jazz... pure madness :/
aksumite

Postby guillaumebougard » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:19 pm

the p@ssyh0le is called stickmanreggae. I'm ashamed to be French because that d!ckhe@d is French too.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/519087264

despicable

at the same time, Soul Jazz is a bunch of ¶‡°·‚&cking @$$h0les for pressing only 250. They freaking know it's way too little and are just thumbing their nose at Reggae lovers. Hope they enjoy their little prank.
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby johnnyB » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:23 pm

at the same time, Soul Jazz is a bunch of ¶‡°·‚&cking @$$h0les for pressing only 250. They freaking know it's way too little and are just thumbing their nose at Reggae lovers. Hope they enjoy their little prank.

That's what I was trying to say in the Samory I thread Guillaume!
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby Mark T » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:24 am

These days I tend to buy mostly original press, at least those that I can afford.
I can't see that repress have in any way reduced the price of originals. One might think that the price of originals would drop but it doesn't appear to be the case. Many people still want originals rather than repress and are willing to pay for them. I have a limit on what I can pay as I am not yet independently wealthy but I do prefer an original and there are plenty of great originals to be had at reasonable prices.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Peacemakeya » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:02 am

Am inquiring why the Yabby You estate knows nothing about current Jahfingers releases? Yabby's widow living in board shack under zinc. She elderly with health issues. She and Yabby were not able to have children to help in elder care. She is needful to receive the rightful reciprocity to what legitimately belong to she.

Calling who so is Jahfingers to contact Monifa Hylton right away !!!! If some other entity has given Jahfingers the go-ahead to release these Yabby You - then calling such entity to contact Monifa Hylton right away !!!!

dem runnin and dem runnin but dem cyan run away from demself
Peacemakeya

Postby Ital Dokta » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:08 pm

Ha, I keep running into Stickmanreggae on Instagram, he keeps "following" then shortly after unfollowing me (I guess the idea is that someone will follow the first party back then not notice they've been dropped), it got so annoying I started tagging him in comments to name and shame him...I think now he's changed his name on there, can't find him anymore...
Ital Dokta

Postby Apostle » Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:46 pm

John Eden wrote:It's just that there are less and less new productions. The past weighs heavy on the present. Pick one repress and one new release at random - which will be better?

Exactly. You would think that the explosion of soundsystem culture in Europe would encourage the creativity of producers and lots of new records would come out featuring talented new vocalists, but it seems like the opposite is true. The big producers and labels that used to be on the forefront aren't putting out so much anymore, or maybe their releases just get less attention because there's so much out there. I get the feeling that the days UK dub had to establish itself as a genre are over. Producers like Dougie Conscious, Dubkasm or Vibronics have inspired a whole generation, but what has come after them? Lots of bedroom producers that all have their own tiny labels that release tunes on max 500 copies. There is some real quality out there but everyone is struggling to get their music spread. And I believe the way the record industry has changed plays a big role in this.
A big part of the problem is that I know literally NOBODY that actually makes a living from the music. There are probably more soundsystems traveling around making a living from playing the music than (reggae)musicians actually living from their music. Everybody in the scene just has a hobby that got out of hand, and when people get older this passion will always fade a bit. Dubkasm might be a good example: they are more popular than ever but they are more busy touring than making new music. And even though the music is much better known and respected than 10-20 years ago, there might actually be less musical productions that make a difference.
If a label like Partial can release on such a high frequency, why are they barely releasing new music?
Apostle

Postby guillaumebougard » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:19 pm

johnnyB wrote:

That's what I was trying to say in the Samory I thread Guillaume!

I totally missed your point. Sorry. Remember, though, that a lot of users on this forum are not native English speakers and might miss the meaning of the more subtle posts!

Plus your post was in the Samory I thread so I was really thinking you were in the discussion about Samory I
guillaumebougard

Postby guillaumebougard » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:45 pm

Peacemakeya wrote:Am inquiring why the Yabby You estate knows nothing about current Jahfingers releases? Yabby's widow living in board shack under zinc. She elderly with health issues. She and Yabby were not able to have children to help in elder care. She is needful to receive the rightful reciprocity to what legitimately belong to she.

Calling who so is Jahfingers to contact Monifa Hylton right away !!!! If some other entity has given Jahfingers the go-ahead to release these Yabby You - then calling such entity to contact Monifa Hylton right away !!!!

dem runnin and dem runnin but dem cyan run away from demself

Peacemaker:

go to https://www.discogs.com/Yabby-You-Might ... se/9961600

the tracks are produced by Roy Francis. I seem to remember reading that original tapes were either not finished or barely audible on many tracks and that overdubs were recorded on top of the original material.

As for the question of paying YY's estate, it would probably be the responsibility of the producers listed on the link: Roy Francis, Jah Fingers, Miguel Ramon

Jah Finger's real name is Alex Caramellino. His FB page shows he lives in Kingston https://www.facebook.com/jahfinger

Take care
guillaumebougard

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:55 pm

I bought hundreds of roots and revival represses over the years for 2 main reasons. One is because it was much cheaper and easier than buying originals which could be very expensive and hard to find. The other is that with a few notable exceptions, modern roots / reggae doesn't do it for me. A lot of the modern roots coming out of the UK for example sounds the same to me. There is no comparison with the old school classics.
Ranking Glasses

Postby guillaumebougard » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:12 am

Ranking Glasses wrote:I bought hundreds of roots and revival represses over the years for 2 main reasons. One is because it was much cheaper and easier than buying originals which could be very expensive and hard to find. The other is that with a few notable exceptions, modern roots / reggae doesn't do it for me. A lot of the modern roots coming out of the UK for example sounds the same to me. There is no comparison with the old school classics.

+1
guillaumebougard

Postby John Eden » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:34 am

Apostle wrote:Exactly. You would think that the explosion of soundsystem culture in Europe would encourage the creativity of producers and lots of new records would come out featuring talented new vocalists, but it seems like the opposite is true. The big producers and labels that used to be on the forefront aren't putting out so much anymore, or maybe their releases just get less attention because there's so much out there. I get the feeling that the days UK dub had to establish itself as a genre are over.

I agree but I don't really check for UK Dub stuff these days, precisely for the reasons you mention. I think perhaps the problem is precisely that it IS established as a genre now. So people expect a particular thing?

Happy to be corrected but the only innovations in that scene in recent memory I can recall are things like taking on a bit of a dubstep bassline? Hopefully I am missing out on lots of other stuff...

I still have total respect for Russ D, Dubkasm, Dougie and people who are putting out good stuff though.

But personally I already have way more records than I actually need, so I am very choosy about what I buy. Dub innovation these days has moved elsewhere - small labels like Bokeh Versions who do experimental stuff on cassette...
John Eden

Postby SteveT » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 am

John Eden wrote:I think the repress market is about the same as the "revive" market was 20 years ago?

It's just that there are less and less new productions. "Retromania" as Simon Reynolds put it, in his book of the same name.

The past weighs heavy on the present. Pick one repress and one new release at random - which will be better?

The sheer volume of reissues is overwhelming. Its hard to choose what to buy when still trying to buy new releases. Agree that a repress is generally a better tune but I still like the freshness of a new tune.

The amount of revives (thats what they were called then - don't know why that changed) 15 -20 years ago is pobably about the same if not more but they were only 3 quid each and you could buy loads
SteveT

Next

Return to General discussion