Has the repress market become too big?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Has the repress market become too big?

Postby guillaumebougard » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:07 pm

John Eden wrote:But personally I already have way more records than I actually need, so I am very choosy about what I buy.

Me too, I have one so-called nu-Dub release and that's almost too many

John Eden wrote:Dub innovation these days has moved elsewhere - small labels like Bokeh Versions who do experimental stuff on cassette...

The snobbery of releasing stuff on cassette... Unf&ckingbelievable.
At least they have a Bandcamp store

But...
this
Pre-order Digital Album £999.99 GBP or more
WTF???

I hate to be critical of others' work, but what I'm hearing sounds like miles of tapes I have from Sly & Robbie from around 1993 that I put out ages ago in all digital stores. Hardly different, maybe the S&R stuff was less produced but was surely as creative. And that was recorded 25 (TWENTY FIVE) years ago, in a jiffy, spur of the moment kind of stuff
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby lankou » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:59 pm

It depends, the repress market has certainly become too big if in your musical tastes, you're open-minded! Just can't keep track of all that's been released in the last few years, i have to focus on the genres i enjoy the most, that is 60's and early 70's sounds - most of which don't come cheap these days, and i can't even say that many artists / producers benefit from this, though a few repress labels do seem to be really serious about it.

I'd love to be able to buy other stuff from more periods (great things on JahFingers, for example!) and i also hear fine current sounds from JA that aren't even released on vinyl (i say vinyl because i spin records for fun at parties, pub sessions and revive nights, nothing fancy!). Unfortunately, most of those aren't available on that format. I buy around 10 current JA releases every year now, no other choice if pockets aren't too deep.

On the "old oldies " repress market, some labels do really tend to exagerate - but, at the end of the day, why wouldn't they if silly people are ready to fork out outrageous sums for a bit of plastic? On the surface of the Earth, it shouldn't be too hard to find 250 of them, should it?
As a side note, I'll praise Reggae Fever for their very decent prices - besides the fact that they seem to do things properly with the original artists/producers. No Need to put down some others, as i don't know their behind-the-scene obligations (or lack of, for some). Boycott seems like a viable option, but it's just not part of every country or generation's tradition.
Yet, despite all the good releases they have, i just can't follow everything on Reggae Archives, RF, JF, Pressure Sounds, Dubstore and such. One has to be reasonable if one doesn't play for (some) money on a regular basis, it's as simple as that when you're not one of the well-off kind. In this regard, it's better to be picky, whether it's for originals (some nice stuff still to be found if you don't follow the international hypes which change the offer/demand ratios all the time on the web) or represses.

I believe the repress market doesn't kill the new release market, as a lot of new sounds don't appear on solid format: tables have just turned! On the other hand, just lucky i'm not into the most active scenes which release lots of vinyl nowadays, that is UK digi dub-roots scene or whatever people call them at the moment. Can imagine vinyl addicts who love them and older roots sounds alike scratching their heads every month! Such fans must think the repress market has become too big, not doubt about it.
lankou

Postby John Eden » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:07 pm

guillaumebougard wrote:
Me too, I have one so-called nu-Dub release and that's almost too many

Which one? :P

The point about releasing stuff on cassette is that it's cheap. And yeah it's a gimmick.

They only charge £999 for digital stuff while the physical is in stock - if you look at the older releases it's all digital and reasonably priced.

If Sly and Robbie were doing stuff like this 25 years ago, I'd be very interesting in checking it out;
https://bokehversions.bandcamp.com/albu ... ld-country
John Eden

Postby guillaumebougard » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:18 am

From the top of my head, look for tracks like Hot Summer Dub or Rump Shaker Dub, it much more raw but has this weirddub/dancehall/wtf atmosphere
guillaumebougard

Postby guillaumebougard » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:51 am

Dicogs is now listing this Alton Ellis (ONE SIDED, it should be reminded!!!) for 155 pounds, while Stickmanreggae has one for a revised price of 1,000 Euros (down from 10KE!!!) and another one for 198.99 Euro... I will make sure to avoid these gougers from now on.

Alton* & Cedric* - Studio One Dubplate #1 (12", S/Sided, Etch, Ltd, 180)
Media Condition: Mint (M)
Sleeve Condition: Mint (M)
souljazzrap
100.0%, 202 ratings
Ships From:United Kingdom
£155.00
about €167.89
+ shipping Add to Cart
Make Offer / Details

Sleeve Condition: Generic
---WE CONSIDER OFFERS ONLY IN LOT---***UNPLAYED/NEW PLAIN SLEEVE
stickmanreggae
100.0%, 124 ratings
Ships From:France
€198.99
+ shipping Add to Cart
Details

petko011
100.0%, 300 ratings
Ships From:Sweden
€199.00
+ shipping Add to Cart
Details

Mint all round
Neil9662
100.0%, 6 ratings
Ships From:United Kingdom (Channel Islands)
£300.00
about €324.95
+ shipping Add to Cart
Make Offer / Details

still sick
guillaumebougard

Postby djmush1 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:52 am

There is extra fresh brand new rockers, dub, rocksteady music coming out of NYC right now....the Frghtnrs just released a companion dub LP to their debut album; the Far East have singles and working on their debut LP; my group Top Shotta Band feat. Screechy Dan has a double LP (w/ dubs/organ versions, and special guests Hopeton James and Ranking Joe); Boomshot Riddum Collective; Channel Tubes; Hoboken HiFi; and more - lots and lots of original, new music coming out of NYC, and pretty much all of it is on vinyl as well, ready to bump on your sound - seek & ye shall find !!!!

Jah love,

Mush1
Hornsman

aksumite wrote:The way I see it, repress market kind of killed the second-hand market of original press ; it's much harder to find rare original tunes at reasonable prices in decent condition than 10 or 20 years ago.
Quite often the repress is the only way to get hold of certain tunes on vinyl for a new generation of record collectors. Quality of these represses is often questionable.
My friend once said that "eventually, they will repress everything"...

I think the list of tunes that need repress is still quite long and on one hand it gives record buyers great expectations what would be repressed next, on the other hand it's kind of sad to see the current productions repetitive and shallow. It seems like everyone who has a computer and music software wants to be the next King Tubby...

IMHO the strength of old Jamaican music, that we all enjoy in its original or repressed format, is the musical and spiritual vibe of singers and players of instruments ; the vibe that came from trials and tribulations of ghetto sufferrah, people who lived and breathed that music in their daily life
Obviously record producers wanted to sell their product but without methods we have available these days like social media etc, reggae dances were often the only way of promotion new music.
So if certain records in 60s or 70s were pressed in small runs it was because of budget limitations and lack of promotion and nowadays it's all about hype...

I just saw some clown on discogs who's asking 10 grand for the new Alton Ellis dubplate from Soul Jazz... pure madness :/
djmush1

Postby SteveT » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:53 am

The Frightnrs dub album is a release that I was hoping for. I don't suppose you know if its going to be on vinyl.
SteveT

Postby djmush1 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:24 pm

Yup came our this week & def on vinyl - lots of current foundation music from NYC of all styles out now on vinyl to bump on your sounds !
Last edited by djmush1 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
djmush1

Postby j j » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:44 pm

Re Frightnrs - More To Say Versions, that's truly fantastic news. I absolutely adore NMTS . :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
j j

Postby soul rebel » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:08 am

I haven't found that the represses affect the value of original presses at all.
Maybe it's true for tunes from the digital era, which I don't really check for anymore.
But when it comes to 60s stuff, many of those singles in orignal press is more expensive than ever, regardless of represses.
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Postby SteveT » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:30 pm

djmush1 wrote:Yup came our this week & def on vinyl - lots of current foundation music from NYC of all styles out now on vinyl to bump on your sounds !

Bandcamp says the MP3 is being released on October 20th.

Don't about when the vinyl is out. But if it came out this week I can't find it anywhere.

http://groovement.co.uk/2017/09/new-mus ... -versions/
SteveT

Postby djmush1 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:53 pm

Oh I think u r right - they just made the announcement last week //
djmush1

Previous

Return to General discussion