VP's Reggae Legends series

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

VP's Reggae Legends series

Postby j j » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:25 am

https://www.discogs.com/label/638544-Reggae-Legends

I've found these to be a great & economical way of getting to know an unfamiliar artists style, music, repertoire or just a cheap way of getting four albums on CD for the price of one :D
I've picked up around 4 of them , mainly to replace my worn out original vinyl issues, many of which are out of print anyway.

They could be considered budget releases I guess, as they don't contain any notes or any tracks that were not featured on the original album releases, although they aren't advertised/marketed as being anything else other than what it says on the back of the box. Each of the four CD's comes in a card sleeve with original LP cover artwork, both back & front .(VP's Anthology series of releases are probably the ones to get if you're after some rarities. :D .)
Sound quality is surprisingly good (for VP :| ) but I think these would probably be straight transfers from the Greensleeves originals, so maybe there's less likely any chance of sound quality problems ?

I've picked up the Sugar Minott (mostly to get a clean copy of 'Buy of the Bar') , the Josey Wales (to replace my worn vinyl of Two Giants Clash & No Way Better Than Yard) & the Fred Locks set.

I hadn't realized there were quite so many artists in the series - The Shabba Ranks is looking tasty! https://www.discogs.com/label/638544-Reggae-Legends
Anyone else picked any up???

I seemed to have had a bit of bad luck with one of the Josey Wales CD's not playing ,but I've been assured by other buyers that this is not a problem with their copies.
cheers
j j
j j

Re: VP's Reggae Legends series

Postby danielmak » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:05 am

I've been meaning to pick up the Sugar Minott and Frankie Paul sets since I only have these on vinyl. The thing that irritates me is that VP sells on Amazon for a much, much lower price than buying direct. But by the time I would pay for separate shipping (since Amazon doesn't seem to have a combined shipping option for used goods), the price rises. If I could order directly from VP and do combined shipping, I would have ordered both by now. I haven't found prices on Discogs that are better than VP's Amazon used prices but I need to watch discogs closer for these two.
http://www.freewebs.com/footballdvd/
danielmak

Postby j j » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:13 am

I've never tried ordering directly from VP Daniel, but for me with the exchange rate (US$-NZ$) it usually works out heaps cheaper if I get CD's through Amazon.UK rather than the US Amazon.
I've recently heard that Amazon now has an Australian branch so who knows what the future will bring!?

cheers
j j
j j

Postby 99thfloor » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:25 am

I have volumes by Johnny Osbourne, Gregory Isaacs (Vol. 2), Dennis Brown (& Superstar Friends) and Fred Locks.

On my want list I have the ones by Frankie Paul, Sugar Minott, Mighty Diamonds, Freddie McGregor and the first volumes by Dennis Brown and Gregory Isaacs, better get them before they are out of print.

VP have several other box set like theses (four original albums on four discs) that aren't part of this series.
99thfloor

Postby 99thfloor » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:20 pm

Other similar sets from VP that I have (four albums on one CD each) are: Dennis Brown At Joe Gibbs, Culture At Joe Gibbs, Rootsman Vibration At King Jammys, Vocal Superstars At King Jammys and Deep Roots Observer Style. Then there's of course the whole Evolution Of Dub series.
99thfloor

Postby Don Julian » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:16 pm

j j wrote:Sound quality is surprisingly good (for VP :| ) but I think these would probably be straight transfers from the Greensleeves originals, so maybe there's less likely any chance of sound quality problems ?

I've picked up the Sugar Minott (mostly to get a clean copy of 'Buy of the Bar')

Greetings,

Concerning the Sugar Minott set,
altho all are mastered from vinyl, it's annoying that
it's specifically 'Buy Off The Bar' where it is noticeable,
because you can hear the title track 'skip' at the 5'59 mark....

Having said that, these sets are still a great way to get OOP albums for a really nice price!

Peace
dj
Don Julian

Return to General discussion