Samory I = new album

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Samory I = new album

Postby jah_vaults » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:13 pm

Lets wait for the next double vinyl Lp release of around 400-1000 copies with double the price jump at £100. 00 GBP for a newly recorded production
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:33 am

It's not true or fair to assume that people don't buy new releases on vinyl. Even I had a lot of new vinyl when I sold my collection last year. I had loads of Mafia & Fluxy tunes on Recession Beater and Gussie P for example because they are very well made tunes. The only reason I didn't buy more new releases was because much of it isn't very appealing to me.

I hope that this new album by Samory I does well but it's never going to sell in the volumes like when reggae was in it's heyday. Sean Paul, the Marley boys and Shaggy can sell but for most other artists reggae is now a niche market.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Reggie Love » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:38 am

I've already bought the bloody thing twice! - On Itunes and cd. But I can't justify another £50 - it's good, but nothing's that good, and that price is unheard of in the modern era - at least to me. And yes, I buy plenty of new reggae music.

Anyone seen a tracklisting? how mamy tracks/mixes are on there which are not on the cd? I can't make out the tracklisting from Rory's Facebook photo.
Reggie Love

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:22 pm

Yes, I agree that £50 is ridiculous and I wouldn't pay that much for a new release on vinyl. They're basically having a giraffe.
Ranking Glasses

Postby ReggaeFire » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:52 pm

I agree it's a silly amount, but devils advocate here, many of you have no problem spending £8 for a 45, with 2 songs, so £4 per song. This is a an album with what 13 songs, so 13x£4=£52, so you're saving money here.
ReggaeFire

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:18 pm

LOL!
Ranking Glasses

Postby adrians wall » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:30 pm

I buy pretty much only brand new music, occasionally I get second hand stuff but its mainly direct from people I know or from shops rather than the discogs thing. I have been waiting for this single & album to get released on vinyl so I can play it on my sound system but with these prices I simply can not justify the purchase and as such this music, which I really like and want to support, wont get played on my sound. TBH I think I'm just going to wait until Samory I is at a dub studio I trust and get a special to play rather than forking out around $100 for a double LP.

To put it in perspective I just ordered 2 copies of the Havana meets Kingston double LP at a cost of 20 euro a copy, including delivery to Australia they set me back $41 a copy. I am pretty damn sure that Havana meets Kingston cost a fortune to produce compared to the Samory I album given the calibre of musicians and the fact they went from Jamaica to Cuba to record it yet it is being sold at normal price.

Anyone interested in Havana meets Kingston can get a copy at - https://bacoshop.fr/en/product/double-v ... -kingston/
adrians wall

Postby guillaumebougard » Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:52 am

According to today's article in the NYT, in 1979, Tom Petty (RIP) forced his record company MCA to sell his new record at $8.98. "Saturday Night Fever", a double album retailed at $12.98.

Inflation since 1979 makes these $8.98 and $12.98 worth $30.26 and $43.74 in 2017 dollars.

So a lot of labels today are cheaper than in 1979!

Hope this helps
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby Leo5 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:31 pm

99thfloor wrote:
adrians wall wrote:RE the dub mix on the 7", there is a 9 min dub straight dub mix called "Rasta Nuh Gangsta (Dub Mix)" It is not the "dropout mix" which is really a discomix with the vocal in it, this dub mix is just a straight dub of the riddim with very few vocals in it, just a few snippets at the the start.

Yes, this is what I have been trying to say a few times, maybe it is better to just list what's on the EP:
1. "Rasta Nuh Gangsta (Short Mix)" (5:04) - Samory I
2. "Rasta Nuh Gangsta (Dub Mix)" (9:17) - Samory I
3. "Rasta Nuh Gangsta (Dropout Mix 2)" (9:17) - Samory I
4. "War Inna Africa (Full Mix)" (9:17) - Odelyah
5. "War Inna Africa (Short Mix)" (4:50) - Odelyah

Leo5 wrote:...he tends to just change a few notes on an old riddim and call it new. "New name " anyone? Or should I say police in helicopter?

Both "New Name" and "Police In Helicopter" are just two chords, they're the same two chords, yes, but so are countless other Roots Reggae riddims, they are also close to the same tempo, how many completely new bass lines, that differ from everything that came before, can you create for those two chords at that tempo, and still have it sound like Roots Reggae? If I was presented with that chord structure and had to make up a bass line, what ever I decided to play it would inevitabely sound like some riddim of the past, wheather one I had heard or not. To "change a few notes" (or make something up that just happens to sound similar to something, it doesn't matter) is at least different from just basing songs on the same existing riddims all the time (which, I should point out, I don't have anything against either).

At least how it was told to me the song ran into copyright problems because of it
Leo5

Postby Leo5 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:43 pm

Due to the wagonist nature of the business, if people fall for this ridiculous pricing, other labels will surely follow suit. Do you want that?

To the point of supporting new reggae from guillaume: a lot of stuff out of jamaica is simply not exciting. It's for the producer to make interesting music. If they can't sell tunes, it's up to them to consider stopping or continuing or changing musical course. It doesn't make sense to squeeze the wallets of the 300 who do support. It's already turned supporters into former supporters.

Rory is intelligent he sees people paying stupid money for tunes that were released merely a few years ago and he wants some of the action. This is fair because production especially with musicians is hugely expensive. It's just that it's really sort of excessive pricing. There has to be a middle ground somewhere.
Leo5

Postby 99thfloor » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:55 pm

About the price, I don't understand why it is not more attractive to try to sell more copies at a slightly lower price, instead of a very limited amount to hardcore collectors. They have lost a potential customer here, I will be content with streaming and getting me a CD (when I find one).

Leo5 wrote:At least how it was told to me the song ran into copyright problems because of it

That sounds silly, but then again the way copyright works nowadays has indeed become very silly.

It used to be that the copyright applied to the melody and lyrics, now it can be the "feel" of a track. I don't understand how you can copyright something as minimalistic as this(these) song(s), at least applied to the backing (which, as I say, shouldn't be under copyright in the first place according to what used to be practice).
99thfloor

Postby Inyaki » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:04 pm

Everything can be copyrighted (registered)...what is a 'backing (track)' in legal terms anyway.
I agree, I'll be flabbergasted if the similarity of the first part of the bassline ( first 3 notes on the first chord) have been the reason of 'copyright problems'. By who? Flabba, Junjo's side, Greensleeves, John Holt's side?
Inyaki

Postby 99thfloor » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:15 pm

Inyaki wrote:Everything can be copyrighted (registered)...what is a 'backing (track)' in legal terms anyway.

There is no such thing as "backing" in legal terms, in fact there is nothing specified at all beyond "composition", what that means has to be interpreted, so there is just practice. I used the word "backing" to mean the arrangement (everything except the melody line), which in the past was not considered to be part of the composition, so not copyrighted.
99thfloor

Postby jah_vaults » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:24 pm

Looks like the price will never return to $2.00 dollars a single or £2.00 pounds for a single. Which is what they used to retail for in most record shops without much problems until all the prices went upwards.
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby guillaumebougard » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:27 pm

jah_vaults wrote:Looks like the price will never return to $2.00 dollars a single or £2.00 pounds for a single. Which is what they used to retail for in most record shops without much problems until all the prices went upwards.

when was the last time you saw a single retail at 2 Euro/Dollars/Pounds???
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion