Samory I = new album

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Samory I = new album

Postby guillaumebougard » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:56 am

supplanter wrote:Guillaume, I'm sorry...I was clearly mistaken. In any case, I'm always well satisfied by your releases and will continue to support as often as possible.

It's all good, the previous post was a bit of a banter
I don't really want to snipe at Soul Jazz, who have done a wonderful job with S1 material over the years
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby adrians wall » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:31 am

The 300 copies of Rasta Nah Gangsta have sold, took 2 weeks from announcement until they all went. I know that myself, my misses, and at least 4 other DJ's I know personally did not buy a copy as it was too expensive. I fully understand the need to recover some of the cost of the production of the tunes and my maths might not be what it used to be but I would have thought that selling out in 2 weeks at 20 pounds a copy shows high demand for the tune. Had they pressed 1000 units and sold them at 10 pounds a copy they would have made 4000 pounds gross more and I am certain they would have all sold, maybe over 2 months rather than 2 weeks, and the tune would be getting played more.

Just for the record I looked about and you can download the FLAC of Rasta nah Gangsta + an alternate vocal (War in Africa) & a full 9 minute dub mix or Disco Mix for $1.69 each, meaning $5 for the 3 cuts. Cutting them to a 10" dub costs me $32 Australian so I can get those 3 cuts on a dubplate from high res audio for less than buying the 7" and having it shipped here. Unless the dub mix on the 7" is absolutely mind blowing (I couldnt find any audio sample of it) I see no reason to get the 7" other than to have something limited edition for those collectors who are into that sort of stuff.
adrians wall

Postby lankou » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:50 am

[quote="adrians wall"]The 300 copies of Rasta Nah Gangsta have sold, took 2 weeks from announcement until they all went. I know that myself, my misses, and at least 4 other DJ's I know personally did not buy a copy as it was too expensive. I fully understand the need to recover some of the cost of the production of the tunes and my maths might not be what it used to be but I would have thought that selling out in 2 weeks at 20 pounds a copy shows high demand for the tune. Had they pressed 1000 units and sold them at 10 pounds a copy they would have made 4000 pounds gross more and I am certain they would have all sold, maybe over 2 months rather than 2 weeks, and the tune would be getting played more.

Simple maths at work, thumbs up ! We all know that the tables have turned when it comes to music sales and distribution BUT some people are just going the wrong way when they choose to release certain tunes on vinyl format. Hype = short-term profit, but maybe not maximum gains in the long run. Sadly, this may become the norm in the eyes of a new generation of record buyers, so they will buy at such inflated prices. As much as i enjoy the tune, i didn"t buy it either, though i'd have liked to support Samory & Rory's efforts in putting good reggae back on the JA scene.
As a matter of fact, it seems that the B-side is a pretty uneventful straight version, not much of a dub treatment.
lankou

Postby 99thfloor » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:45 pm

adrians wall wrote:Just for the record I looked about and you can download the FLAC of Rasta nah Gangsta + an alternate vocal (War in Africa) & a full 9 minute dub mix or Disco Mix for $1.69 each, meaning $5 for the 3 cuts.

Yes, I mentioned this upthread, there is an EP, Rasta Nuh Gangsta (Deluxe), that has five cuts on it, including a "Dub Mix" and "Dropout Mix 2" (I guess "Mix 1" is the track on the album), both of which are full lenght. (For the record, the vocal on "War in Africa" is by Odelyah.)

Cutting them to a 10" dub...

For someone who is a bit of an "outsider", can you explain what the point of this is? Just to add surface noise to the FLAC? :oops:
99thfloor

Postby kalcidis » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:50 pm

To play on a sound system I would guess, 99thfloor.
kalcidis

Postby 99thfloor » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:25 pm

kalcidis wrote:To play on a sound system I would guess, 99thfloor.

Yes, I guessed that was the purpose, but I would think you could just as well simply play the FLAC. (I'm probably going to get lynched now... :) )
99thfloor

Postby adrians wall » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:30 pm

Why get the 7" if you can just play the flac? I was only saying that its cheaper for me to cut a one off plate than buy the released plastic, trying the highlight the sillyness in charging so much for a tune. I'm not going to cut a plate of it as I have no desire to waste dub money on that when I could be cutting 1 away music.

There are lots of people like me who only play vinyl on the sound. I have nothing against digital formats I just find I get lost trying to select from a digital library in the dance and when I get my dubs cut I can get them mastered how I like them to play nice on my sound and the just come through nicer than running the same tune from a cd.
adrians wall

Postby 99thfloor » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:25 am

adrians wall wrote:Why get the 7" if you can just play the flac?

No, I meant why cut a dub of the file instead of just playing the file itself (which I understand isn't what you did, just an example). I thought it was just "vinyl fetischism", but you explained why one would do it, thanks.
99thfloor

Postby j j » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:18 am

I had a listen to the samples provided on the midnight ravers site & only heard a little auto chune , which makes a nice change.
j j

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:03 am

Not really doing anything for me. Might be a creeper so I'll keep an open mind.
Ranking Glasses

Postby capullo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:45 pm

7inch "Rasta Nuh Gangsta" in my mail today. HEAVY! and i mean heavy! superb sound. pure pressure. great mastering, great dub mix! just commenting on the music here, not on the price policy etc.
capullo

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:09 pm

Bass heavy? :)
Ranking Glasses

Postby capullo » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:13 pm

baaaaasssssss!!!!! :D but not in a penetrating way. smooth and sophisticated still! great mixing skills by the man rory stonelove!
capullo

Postby adrians wall » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:29 pm

Is the dub any different from the 9min dub mix that is available digitally?
adrians wall

Postby capullo » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:19 am

you mean the mix on the album/CD? yes, different mix. i like both though.
capullo

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion