Samory I = new album

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Samory I = new album

Postby guillaumebougard » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:31 pm

BMC wrote: work on Windows and Android and do not have iTunes (hate it on a windows machine, and also simply want the wav or mp3 to download and use on other devices too, which I don't think iTunes delivers), which got me wondering what alternative shops are there that do sell mp3's or wav's to people anywhere in the world?

If you can overcome your dislike of iTunes
and
If you can live with MP3's, read on, brother BMC!

once you have purchased an AAC 256 file from iTunes, set the import settings in the preferences to MP3 320 and then convert the purchased AAC file into an MP3 file. AAC 256 is equivalent in sound quality to MP3 320

As for Amazon, I'd be surprised if they offered different catalogs depending on the country, except in the (increasingly rare) case of territorial licenses, which are a real pain

Last an increasing number of labels have their own bandcamp store. Check mine, for instance (shameless self promotion!!!!) https://taxitabou1.bandcamp.com
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby Chaz » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Anyone have any idea where to pre-order the double LP?
Chaz

Postby BMC » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:27 am

Thanks for the info, ReggaeFire and guillaumebougard, much appreciated, will look into it!

Don't think you can yet, Chaz. Rory told me to send him an email to be put on a list a month or so ago, but I didn't do it since there's no info on costs or shipping and all. Will await more info.
Reggae mixes (old & new) and more: BMC's Reggae Blog
Latest episode: The Impressions - The Jamaican Connection
Facebook: BMC's Reggae Mixes (page)
BMC

Postby BMC » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:29 am

guillaumebougard wrote:Shameless self promotion: check this out for some seriously heavy roots reggae

the album is coming out this Fall

https://soundcloud.com/taxi-records/01-soldiers

https://soundcloud.com/taxi-records/02-the-truth

Highly looking forward to this, guillaume!
Reggae mixes (old & new) and more: BMC's Reggae Blog
Latest episode: The Impressions - The Jamaican Connection
Facebook: BMC's Reggae Mixes (page)
BMC

Postby lankou » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:26 pm

I expect it to be in the top modern roots list this year, no doubt about it, yet i have recently found another cool surprise with Royal Sounds' first album, Burning Inspirations - out next Autumn on Sugar Shack Rds. I'll let the label guys promote it soon on the "new releases" section but must say that is really a top record, mixing genuine authentic UK roots vibes (a pinch of Steel Pulse on some tunes) with a contemporary "urban" (whatever that means, but you'll get my drift) approach. At once organic and digital, with a youthful rebellious attitude to be heard in certain lyrics. I simply wish them more luck than The Ras-ites, who were also a very promising outfit over 15 years ago, yet failed to make a serious impact, unfortunately.
Surprised RS have not been mentioned on this forum, btw!
lankou

Postby supplanter » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:12 pm

finbar wrote:johnnyb, if you do the math, the gross return for all to share (artist, producer, record manufacturer, distributor + surprise costs along the way) is 5,000 pounds. That's not a lot of money to spread around in 2017.

The market has shrunk drastically, and as always, supply and demand dictates prices. What do you think soundmen paid for limited run releases, or exclusives, "back in the day"? It would be the equivalent of 20 squids in today's money, if not much more.

If it's the "music" you want, it's cheap to get digitally. But if you are a format fetishist, you'll pay for your affliction.
And if you're one of those "I only play vinyl because it sounds best" people, why would you pay for a blank plate just to put a low-resolution, compressed YouTube download on it to hurt peoples' ears at a loud volume? A WAV file is cheaper, and would sound better.

The irony in all of this is that it's the people who don't want to pay for things and take them for free that are partly behind what's shrinking the market, and forcing up the prices. And the beat goes on.....

Well said. I bought the Soul Jazz and the Samory-I. It set me back a bit for the month, but my future self will not regret. They're both great tunes. Limited runs and exclusives are an important part of the history of the music (obviously), and it continues to makes going out to hear selectors, sound systems, etc exciting. I'd much rather see limited run, quality press releases than no vinyl release. Even if I can't get the tune right away, maybe one of my local selectors can, or I can pick it up second hand some day in the future.
supplanter

Postby lankou » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:56 am

Beg to differ : limited runs never were an argument to sell reggae records, it's just that this music originally catered for a local market - and the diaspora in the UK.
A great hit sold as many records as possible, full stop. The use of blanks was something different, it was just done to test the market, then many were pressed on official releases if they did well, many were not. True, blank pressings were a little more expensive.Besides, it's not because a tune is rare that it is necessarily good, a belief that has developed a lot with the use of internet.
As for dub plates, well, anyone can get them nowadays, for what it's worth. That thing got really boring in the early 2000's. Some selectors had better develop their general knowledge of JA music instead of buying dubs off mostly hyped up artists for their egos. The only good thing with plates is that veterans can make some money off them.
How long has it been since a soundclash was exciting because of outstanding dubplates?????
On the international scene, everybody once interested in that scene knows damn too well which selectors have the best dubplates. With the exception of Mighty Crown, who got in the game late, there aren't many sounds who can challenge veteran selectors who own plates by long dead luminaries such as G Isaacs, DEB, Garnett Silk and many more...

As for the prices asked for certain recent releases, well, it is plain ridiculous. Samory's tune could have easily sold 1000 copies on an international level. Although it is a modern tune i' have considered buying, i won't get into this game. I'll stick to my mp3 album and will just play it at home.

In many other scenes, there are still indie labels fighting hard to keep their prices down as much as possible, although they have to wait in line at the pressing plant till the majors have finished repressing tons of useless (and pressed from bad digital sources!) LP's, just because vinyl is trendy.
When it comes to that A. Ellis so-called "dub-plate", expect more of this kind, as a tape with other unreleased tunes was found by a well-known revive UK selector. Imho, it's basically a second-rate AE tune Coxsone never bothered releasing. It's just as if there weren't enough great S1tunes once released to be repressed ! :roll:
When i see most of those records purposedly released on limited run, i see them for sale at crazy prices, although they are second-hand. Would never expect them to go for cheap. That's basically speculation. What was once a hustler's industry is now a speculator's industry. AFAICS, one should have to draw the line between "rare" and "made to be rare".
lankou

Postby gongi » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:59 pm

Does anybody know if the the riddim on Kristine Alicia's 'Freedom Fighters' is used on SI's album?
Cheers
gongi

Postby supplanter » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:29 pm

I'm not saying limited runs were an argument to sell records, although I agree that it can be part of the marketing plan now. What I was saying is that it has always been appealing as a buyer…at least for me. I spent a lot of time visiting record shops 30-35 years ago because if I didn't go frequently, I'd miss out on records. The shop owner would sometimes even say, "this is real exclusive, I could only get a couple copies." If I like the tune, that was an exciting thing. Having no knowledge that there would be an internet in my future, I assumed if I wasn't lucky enough to buy it at the time, I'd never see it again. I know lots of tunes were pressed in the thousands…and I like them too. But it's the ones with the DIY labels…you know…they were cool to have because you knew they were limited runs. I realize limited runs were for different reasons, but as a selector the reasons don't matter so much to me. Now, of course, the world's changed. You can find what you want for a price. And people like me get called speculators, when all I want is to enjoy the music and maybe one up a friend. I don't care that a record I paid $2 for in 1985 is now worth something else. I'm not buying to sell, I'm listening. So, maybe I'm willing to pay a little more for something limited. It's probably just a nostalgic feeling…so what? I would also have bought these two recent tunes if there were thousands pressed…maybe not so quickly. But, it's up to the label or producer how they want to market their product. I don't judge. Business is tough, and I'm sure they have their reasons. I'm grateful for the ongoing efforts of these artists and producers and labels, and their willingness to try to provide a vinyl product for those of us that want it. Maybe 1000 copies of Samory I's latest would sell. Maybe not. Maybe they're hyping the album. Maybe their hyping the artist so they can confidently press 1000 copies of the next tune. Maybe they want their music to be exclusive. It's all good by me.
As for the Alton tune, I really like it. It feels lyrically unfinished, but the voice sounds great. And Im's sax work is beautiful, as always. I'm very glad to have the opportunity to play it for myself, and out on a sound (which I'll be doing this weekend). Looking forward to hearing it loud. And the audience may appreciate it too. Maybe. In any case, really lucking to have jumped on it. Perhaps just the nostalgic feeling of being in right place at the right time...in an internet world where place and time are often irrelevant.
supplanter

Postby guillaumebougard » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:25 pm

Soul Jazz has the money to press thousands of records. To me it shows the label's employees just having an ego trip and not really caring if they meet "normal" customers demand. At the same time, maybe they are aiming at positioning their "brand" like a Colette type of store for music. The pinnacle of snobbery, but that's surely more lucrative and satisfying that selling mere records to mere mortals.

I'll think twice before I give them my money in the future.
guillaumebougard

Postby finbar » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:50 pm

guillaumebougard wrote:Soul Jazz has the money to press thousands of records. To me it shows the label's employees just having an ego trip and not really caring if they meet "normal" customers demand. At the same time, maybe they are aiming at positioning their "brand" like a Colette type of store for music. The pinnacle of snobbery, but that's surely more lucrative and satisfying that selling mere records to mere mortals.

I'll think twice before I give them my money in the future.

Limited run aside, I am surprised no-one has commented on the hype: when did a 12" disco 45, regardless of the quantity pressed, become a "dub plate"?
finbar

Postby supplanter » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:50 am

Guillaume: The record was only £12. A "normal" person like me was able to afford it with only a small adjustment to my budget. It's really not a big deal. It is a one sided record, but 180 gm...so in my mind it offsets. I know I've paid comparable prices for your releases over the years. And those always sound great, so no complaints with you either.

Finbar: another good point. It's misleading for them to call it a dub plate. That would bother me more if I was actually fooled by the description.
supplanter

Postby johnnyB » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:25 am

All these "exclusive" pressings aim at "excluding" someone from the privilege of possessing a record,at the same time making the lucky possessors feel smarter and elected. I don't like this philosophy.And contrary to Soul Jazz people's opinion my life will be exactly the same after this and their future "dubplate" releases.Even if I were to own them. I think I preferred them when they were busy re-releasing random Studio One tracks on the same CD or mixed 60's and 70's tunes on 7" back to back (why would you want to do that? It's Studio One we are talking about!)
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby guillaumebougard » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:44 am

supplanter wrote:Guillaume: The record was only £12. A "normal" person like me was able to afford it with only a small adjustment to my budget. It's really not a big deal. It is a one sided record, but 180 gm...so in my mind it offsets. I know I've paid comparable prices for your releases over the years. And those always sound great, so no complaints with you either.

Finbar: another good point. It's misleading for them to call it a dub plate. That would bother me more if I was actually fooled by the description.

I have yet to charge 12 pounds (16 dollars) for one tune. My Gregory Isaacs has 4 tracks on it, has a great photo of the artist, artwork took time and money, it's a production (I had to pay musicians, artist, studio, mixing engineer, mastering) vs theirs is a copy of something given to them by a record collector and I did not organize the scarcity

My Gregory Isaacs @ $16 /// Their so called dubplate @ 16
4 tracks /// 1 track
2 sides /// 1 side
production /// copy of a collectors' item
sounds fabulous /// sounds barely mixed
artwork /// no artwork
profits given to doctors w/out borders /// you got to be kidding us!
heavy duty cardboard sleeve /// say what???
not etched /// etched
Gregory the GOAT in good shape /// Alton (not bad!) in bad shape
great song /// not super duper song (never released by Coxson, who knew better)
poor marketing /// fantastic marketing
etc....
guillaumebougard

Postby supplanter » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:28 am

Guillaume, I'm sorry...I was clearly mistaken. In any case, I'm always well satisfied by your releases and will continue to support as often as possible.
supplanter

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion