Samory I = new album

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Samory I = new album

Postby johnnyB » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:36 am

At least "Rasta Nuh Gangsta" is available on YouTube and Soundcloud for free and as MP3,WAW,FLAC and CD at a fair price.
You get hold of a previously unreleased track by one of the greatest jamaican singers ever, recorded at the most famous studio in JA ever,and you press some 300 12"s(NO download code included!)? So in Soul Jazz intentions no other human being besides these lucky 300 is entitled to have the chance to listen to this song whenever he feels the need?
This limited press business is becomong pure joke.
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby Werner » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:03 am

Werner

Postby johnnyB » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:02 pm

I mean that one. Even more pissed off now as I would have gladly spent my hard earned money on it. No matter,I'll cut a dubplate from the YouTube rip!
johnnyB

Postby finbar » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:54 pm

johnnyb, if you do the math, the gross return for all to share (artist, producer, record manufacturer, distributor + surprise costs along the way) is 5,000 pounds. That's not a lot of money to spread around in 2017.

The market has shrunk drastically, and as always, supply and demand dictates prices. What do you think soundmen paid for limited run releases, or exclusives, "back in the day"? It would be the equivalent of 20 squids in today's money, if not much more.

If it's the "music" you want, it's cheap to get digitally. But if you are a format fetishist, you'll pay for your affliction.
And if you're one of those "I only play vinyl because it sounds best" people, why would you pay for a blank plate just to put a low-resolution, compressed YouTube download on it to hurt peoples' ears at a loud volume? A WAV file is cheaper, and would sound better.

The irony in all of this is that it's the people who don't want to pay for things and take them for free that are partly behind what's shrinking the market, and forcing up the prices. And the beat goes on.....
Last edited by finbar on Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
finbar

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:04 pm

As far as I understand it, what is musically exclusive about this release is the dub mix and I personally don't want to pay £20 for that. If it was a twelve inch with the full 9 minute version of the tune and the dub(s) then maybe. I don't really mind if I have something on vinyl or cd and am not really interested in paying a premium for vinyl. What entices me about the Samory I album is that, obviously the music is great we all agree on that, but also the promise of more dubs on the double vinyl issue. Once I see the tracklisting and the price of the vinyl I will make a choice on whether to try and grab one.
Reggie Love

Postby guillaumebougard » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:33 pm

$1.29 on Itunes, for Christ's sake
let's stop this vinyl mania
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby guillaumebougard » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:42 pm

johnnyB wrote:I'll cut a dubplate from the YouTube rip!

what are you trying to achieve by doing this:

1. pirating Rory Stonelove who has spent a fortune producing this album and its various mixes?
2. creating an awful sounding version of this awesome cut?
3. pay more than £20 in the process?
4. all of the above?

Alternatively, you can go on iTunes and other legit online stores, pay the price for the file (which will sound 1000% better than a YT rip), help Rory recoup his investment by doing so, and have the satisfaction that you helped ensure he can continue to produce more wonderful stuff thanks to the revenues generated by honest customers.

To me it's a no-brainer.

Also, why not produce the next album by Samory I, release it and sell it for the price you feel is fair (what is it, by the way?)
guillaumebougard

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:50 pm

Guillaume, Johnny is talking about an Alton Ellis record.
Reggie Love

Postby johnnyB » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:58 pm

The "YouTube rip dubplate" was a joke obviously and if Soul Jazz pressed 500 or more they would have earned more and above all they would have satisfied more customers,which should be,at least in part,a vendor's mission.
johnnyB

Postby 99thfloor » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:00 pm

I hope that you are all aware that there are already available (digitally) a "Dub Mix" as well as a "Dropout Mix", both full lenght (9 min.+).

What does Soul Jazz have to do with anything?
99thfloor

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:07 pm

I didn't until today 99th but have purchased them now.
Reggie Love

Postby BMC » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:32 am

guillaumebougard wrote:Alternatively, you can go on iTunes and other legit online stores

Speaking of buying digital tunes. The other day I was looking for a specific soul track to download, found it at amazon.de and tried to buy it but couldn't since I was not in Germany. This is the case for all amazons it turns out, they only sell mp3's to customers in the country (billing address) of the amazon shop. I work on Windows and Android and do not have iTunes (hate it on a windows machine, and also simply want the wav or mp3 to download and use on other devices too, which I don't think iTunes delivers), which got me wondering what alternative shops are there that do sell mp3's or wav's to people anywhere in the world?

Just found out about http://www.junodownload.com/ , that does seem to do so (not sure, haven't tried), but for instance that soul tune is not on there, nor Courtney John's Ecosystem album for example. It's actually easier to find the illegal download than a legal one it seems, or am I missing something. So what are legit online stores selling digital music worldwide?

Any help appreciated.
Reggae mixes (old & new) and more: BMC's Reggae Blog
Latest episode: The Impressions - The Jamaican Connection
Facebook: BMC's Reggae Mixes (page)
BMC

Postby BMC » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:35 am

And on topic, I bought the CD of the Samory I set via Dub Vendor and love it. Some good new releases this year already.
Reggae mixes (old & new) and more: BMC's Reggae Blog
Latest episode: The Impressions - The Jamaican Connection
Facebook: BMC's Reggae Mixes (page)
BMC

Postby ReggaeFire » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:30 am

BMC wrote: So what are legit online stores selling digital music worldwide?

You run into the local sales only issue because of rights holding, it's still done on a regional basis.

The major players in digital music sales are:

Bandcamp, 7digital, emusic, Cdbaby, Google Play, Microsoft Groove (I think that's what it is called, they rebrand every other year), in Europe there is Qobuz, on the reggae side reggaerecord.

With the exception of Bandcamp and reggaerecord though you'll find most of the catalogs are nearly identical. Differing only in price and format choices.

Probably the easiest solution in your case is a VPN, just log in from a German address to any of the above stores and you should be able to get the track you want.
ReggaeFire

Postby guillaumebougard » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:25 pm

there is Juno too
guillaumebougard

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion