Samory I = new album

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Samory I = new album

Postby jps » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:52 pm

jb, I saw the cd for sale at the VP records website if you want a physical copy.

I'm holding out for the 2lp release I saw mentioned but haven't seen much info on it. From what I read it's supposed to have some dubs included as well.
jps

Postby jah_vaults » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:37 pm

jps wrote:jb, I saw the cd for sale at the VP records website if you want a physical copy.

I'm holding out for the 2lp release I saw mentioned but haven't seen much info on it. From what I read it's supposed to have some dubs included as well.

The Cd version is up on Vprecords site http://www.vpreggae.com/black-gold-samory-i/
but not the double LP maybe a longer wait
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby jah_vaults » Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:49 pm

jah_vaults wrote:
jps wrote:jb, I saw the cd for sale at the VP records website if you want a physical copy.

The Cd version is up on Vprecords site http://www.vpreggae.com/black-gold-samory-i/ but not the double LP maybe a longer wait as the vinyl album is not even on the Vp Pre order page either.
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby ras2thebone » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:51 pm

I just spoke to Rory about the LP. He said they are putting it together now. As he said "it just takes some times as I am sure you know." It will be a limited release with vocals and dubs/instrumentals. Out in September. This will be a must-have for me. Without a doubt the strongest reggae album to drop from Jamaica in some time.
ras2thebone

Postby finbar » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:21 pm

The riddims are majestic, the vocals are okay. I would love to hear Rory do something with a more seasoned vocalist.
finbar

Postby ras2thebone » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:23 pm

finbar wrote:The riddims are majestic, the vocals are okay. I would love to hear Rory do something with a more seasoned vocalist.

Really? I think his vocals are extraordinary. Probably the finest vocalist to emerge from the revival. What about his vocal don't you like?
ras2thebone

Postby finbar » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:21 pm

ras2thebone wrote:
finbar wrote:The riddims are majestic, the vocals are okay. I would love to hear Rory do something with a more seasoned vocalist.

Really? I think his vocals are extraordinary. Probably the finest vocalist to emerge from the revival. What about his vocal don't you like?

I didn't say that I didn't like him, just that the riddims are better than his vocals. Everyone has different tastes. I wish him well.
finbar

Postby capullo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:17 am

finally got this CD. mind blowing release! highly recommended! looking forward to the vinyl with the dub mixes. only thing i don't like is the use of autotune. although very low dosed and only on certain short spots it would be nicer without IMO.
capullo

Postby dj745 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:30 pm

The 7" of Rasta nuh gangster is available to preorder as part of a 300 copy press from lionvibes but at a whopping £20 per 7", hate to think how much the double vinyl will be priced at.....
dj745

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:51 am

A couple of us were wondering the same thing over on the new releases page, DJ 475. I see Lion Vibes is charging £40 for his 'use your Loaf' single LP dub album so if the Samory I album is sold exclusively through him, I guess it will be £40 to £50. Let's hope not!
Reggie Love

Postby SteveT » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:51 am

yeah, I hope not. been holding out for the vinyl for this one. 40 quid for an LP is seriously taking advantage of us poor reggae collectors
SteveT

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Holding out too, Steve. It's a great set, but I've already bought it once on Itunes, Will wait to see if I can get the vinyl version before buying the cd.
Reggie Love

Postby dj745 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:09 pm

Personally, I think it's a shame that the few top quality artists emerging are going to have their music held back from true followers due to the pricing of vinyl- yes I know that vinyl pressing costs etc are probably going to be much higher due to the unprecedented demand for vinyl across all genres but this is way over the top.

By comparison, a soul jazz studio one dubplate part 1 with Alton Ellis on a limited press of 250 12" vinyls was going for £12 for a single sided vinyl which to me is more fairly priced.
dj745

Postby adrians wall » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:27 am

The price of the 7" is a joke. They say its because their has to be profit in it for the producer to allow it to happen which I understand but if you want to make money you need to sell volume and this tune would sell well at normal price but this hype price means plenty of people wont buy a copy.

With postage it comes to over $45 for me to get a copy. I have a hard limit of 20 pounds for buying records and now I cant get a new release 7" for that, It would be cheaper for me to get the tunes of iTunes and cut it to a dubplate. Obviously they are only interested in supplying the rich collectors rather than actual soundmen who will play it out and get it over to the public.
adrians wall

Postby Dubba » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:26 am

After much procrastination I stumped up the money for the 7" as I haven't been so excited by a new roots artist like I am with samory-I for years. This is the kind of price you expect on Record Store Day (even then £20 for a 7" is ridiculously expensive). I predict RSD type prices are going to become the norm all year round and will be amazed if the LP is priced at under £40. Would Rory/Lionvibes charge this price for some of the other Black Dub releases? I doubt that very much, this is just a great example of modern day capitalism.
Dubba

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion