Samory I = new album

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Samory I = new album

Postby John Eden » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:37 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:Isn't the whole point about music with a profound message that it should reach as many people as possible? Otherwise what's the point?

Vinyl is now one of the worst ways to do this, surely?
John Eden

Postby Anbessa » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks Jah Vaults and Reggie Love.

@ Reggie : I haven't released compilations on physical format, but you can get the all the songs on Bandcamp in FLAC format if you're interested. And the format I've been using for my latest releases, and will keep on using mostly, is 4 songs 12" EPs, recorded at 45 rpm, so you could consider them as "mini-compilations"... :D
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa

Postby jah_vaults » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:14 pm

Anbessa wrote:Thanks Jah Vaults and Reggie Love.

@ Reggie : I haven't released compilations on physical format, but you can get the all the songs on Bandcamp in FLAC format if you're interested. And the format I've been using for my latest releases, and will keep on using mostly, is 4 songs 12" EPs, recorded at 45 rpm, so you could consider them as "mini-compilations"... :D

Field Marshall big up again Anbessa. I also have few of your golden releases.
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items NOW ADDED. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:54 am

John Eden wrote:Vinyl is now one of the worst ways to do this, surely?

Vinyl is making a real comeback because people love the physical format and it's cool.
Ranking Glasses

Postby John Eden » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:42 am

Ranking Glasses wrote:
John Eden wrote:Vinyl is now one of the worst ways to do this, surely?

Vinyl is making a real comeback because people love the physical format and it's cool.

It's not making a real comeback for reggae though, except maybe for Bob Marley. That's just wishful thinking.

On your street, how many people have turntables?

On your street, how many people have devices that connect to the internet?

There have been 877,850 views of Richie Spice's "Youths So Cold" on one Youtube account. How many do you think were pressed on wax?

If vinyl is a good way of spreading a message why aren't political parties, corporations etc using it?
John Eden

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:25 pm

When sold my collection last year I sold the valuable stuff on e-Bay and one particular buyer contacted me direct and I sold a ton of tunes to her. I was left with thousands of less valuable tunes and so I decided to sell then at various boot sales in and around London and I was mobbed. Such was the demand I feared for my life on occasion. No one was more surprised than me at how desparate people are to buy vinyl.
Ranking Glasses

Postby John Eden » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:40 pm

Yes there is still a market for vinyl, especially second hand stuff.

Is releasing new tunes on vinyl the best way to spread the message in the music? No.
John Eden

Postby jb welda » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:55 pm

> how desparate people are to buy vinyl.

What kind of vinyl did you have (reggae?) and how much on average do you figure you got for what you sold, per copy?

Just rough figures would be nice. So I would know if you were basically giving them away or if you were getting some real money for them

(eg: > 10 pounds per LP or 12 disk).

Because I had no idea selling at "boot" sales would bring such a reaction. Perhaps I should try it over here one weekend in Berkeley or san Francisco.

In fear for your life? how come? because of wads of cash or just the crush of people.

What I am really interested to hear is what kind of music you were selling and from what era.

If there were that kind of interest over here I would bring my whole record room with me to the flea as we call them over here.

Thanks
one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:50 pm

I had a lot of soul LPs and 12's from the 80's which I couldn't give away. Ended up selling it in 2 job lots on e-Bay and a guy at the boot sale bought all the rest.

It was reggae that everyone wanted at the boot sale. I sold the reggae singles for £3 and the LPs for £5 including hundreds of represses. I had many records from the 90's which I bought when I had a little sound which I didn't like but you end up buying records to entertain people.
I made over £1,000 on the last day and the final buyer just bought everything that was left over.

I sold much of the rare stuff on e-Bay but got caught out by buyers in France claiming not to have received their records and getting refunded by PayPal. Luckily an e-Bayer in Scotland contacted me direct and I sent her I think 8 lists of records and she bought heaps. They were priced from £5 to £100 depending on the rarity.
Ranking Glasses

Postby jb welda » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:26 am

Thanks boss, interesting info.

its strange about ebay: I have bought and sold there for going on twenty years now, and pretty much always have great interactions. The only exceptions have been when I was selling records. I would get negative feedback for things like charging too much postage (even though I openly try to ship at cost and if I overcharge I refund their paypal payment) and people claiming they "didn't get the record" or somehow its condition had deteriorated from what I graded it as a couple steps down. I pretty much stopped bothering with ebay for records because of this poor record experience, never had anything but positive feedback except when I sell records. Strange things happening

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby capullo » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:38 pm

capullo

Previous

Return to General discussion