Riddim Query - Jammy/Tubby???

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Riddim Query - Jammy/Tubby???

Postby reddread » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Hi Guys

Hoping someone can shed some light on the riddim that Tonto Irie "Professional" is on.

I understand it's a Jammy's riddim but the only dub I've heard is King Tubby "Narrow Dub" which sounds like it could just be the Jammy instrumental slowed down a bit maybe?

Anyone know of any other versions on this riddim or anything about it. I bloody love it if you didn't guess... King Tubby really cruising on this one :D

Tonto - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFbnq8H34es
Tubby - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQtnJLUvzMY

Thanks in advance...
Josh
Yorkshire Roots Promotion
reddread

Re: Riddim Query - Jammy/Tubby???

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:32 am

Can't hear the riddim properly on my mobile but I can certainly hear how Tonto Irie is stealing Papa Levi's lyrics!
Ranking Glasses

Postby finbar » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:25 am

It's Echo Minott's "Bad Boy Posse", but it's very unlikely that it's Tubby mixing (most likely Jammy$).
finbar

Postby reddread » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:18 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:Can't hear the riddim properly on my mobile but I can certainly hear how Tonto Irie is stealing Papa Levi's lyrics!

That's interesting RG... It looks like they were both starting out about the same time. Which tune are you referring to in particular? It's very hard to date Tonto's stuff as there doesn't seem to be much info about, the date's not on the record or CD :( Early/Mid 80's though for sure.

I don't really know Papa Levi's stuff but happy to explore... Similar fast man style for sure.

Bless
reddread

Postby reddread » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:20 pm

finbar wrote:It's Echo Minott's "Bad Boy Posse", but it's very unlikely that it's Tubby mixing (most likely Jammy$).

Thanks so much finbar. Did you listen to the dub? Sounds like Tubby to me but my ears aren't that well trained!!

Bless
reddread

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:49 am

It sounds like there are snipets from several of the Saxon DJ with much of this part in particular from Levi's famous "MI God Mi King":

The sweetest singer a Sugar Minott
The maddest comedian a Kenny Everett
Dracula tun inna vampire bat
But when him see sun him cyaan tek dat
You eye dem dark fi use contact

Mi God Mi King was from the early 80's (I was an avid follower of Saxon in those days along with many other South East Londoners) but Tonto Irie rose to fame in the early digi era in the mid-80's with several big tunes for Jammy's.

Papa Levi is one of the greatest live DJs of all time. However, this didn't aways translate to his recordings in terms of delivery.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Gimialight » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:29 am

Paladin Street - Junior Reid
Rock with you - Johnny Osbourne
Peeping Tom - Leroy Smart
Gimialight

Return to General discussion