Diamonds ‎– Talk About It/Jo Jo Ask About It - RE!

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Diamonds ‎– Talk About It/Jo Jo Ask About It - RE!

Postby capullo » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:22 pm

repress from the reggaefever crew. i was after this tune ever since i first heard it on a mick sleeper post. seemed to be impossible to get hold of. now repressed by the reggaefever guys. nice!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE8eFpMWCz0
capullo

Re: Diamonds ‎– Talk About It/Jo Jo Ask About It - RE!

Postby Anbessa » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:42 pm

Sublime song ! Quite a scarce record indeed, it took me about 10 years to finally find a copy a couple years ago !
Reggae Fever are doing a superb job, love their represses (even though they could stick to records I don't have... :D )
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa

Postby jb welda » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:21 pm

Wasn't this on one of those Trojan lee perry sets compiled by steve barrow? either build the ark or open the gate? Great song but kinda ruined in that release by the "kids version" that followed...would have been much nicer with just a dub version or at least a more serious DJ cut. I always loved the diamonds song so maybe I got to get this record if it eliminates the kiddo foolishness

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Chaz » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:24 pm

jb welda wrote:Wasn't this on one of those Trojan lee perry sets compiled by steve barrow? either build the ark or open the gate? Great song but kinda ruined in that release by the "kids version" that followed...would have been much nicer with just a dub version or at least a more serious DJ cut. I always loved the diamonds song so maybe I got to get this record if it eliminates the kiddo foolishness

one love
jb

Yes - it's on Open The Gate. I agree - that annoying version ruins the sequencing on that comp.
Chaz

Postby Anbessa » Wed Jun 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Yes, the 45 is "kid free" ! The flip is an alternate, (lazy yet beautiful) vocal/dub mix.

The U Roy version featuring the children (who are credited on the label as "The children") is called "Yama-khy".
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa

Postby guillaumebougard » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:46 am

I've noticed that a number of reissue labels are releasing singles of tunes that are already available on compilations or CD's elsewhere.

What's the point of doing vinyls, which, in an ideal world, should be done using master tapes or, at least, audio files that have a 24bit rate, and not a 16bit rate like CD's. For the vinyl fetichists, might as well play a CD with a "vinyl" filter on

I would bet a zillion dollars that this one is mastered from a 16bit wav file ripped from CD's.

99% of the buyers won't know or notice but...

So once again, it would be nice if vinyl releases feature a mention that certifies the origin of the masters:

1. from original master tapes
2. from back up master tapes
3. from CD that used master tapes
4. from CD that used restored vinyl
5. from restored vinyl
6. from non-restored vinyl
7. from youtube, etc...
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby jb welda » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:42 pm

That's one of the great ironies of the much ballyhooed "vinyl resurgence"...much of the vinyl is mastered from CD masters (or direct from a CD itself) and therefore the "magic" and "sound" of vinyl is a total illusion, since they are pressed from a digital source. Once digitized, the "sound" of vinyl is gone.

Even more interesting is the VP model, but I won't even get into that hat trick here

Hopefully this single we are talking about is taken from tape or a very very good vinyl pressing

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby edgar » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:27 pm

because in a lot of cases there are simply no master tapes left..... especially in this case with the erratic behavior of mr Perry.. Once saw a video of him hammering metal masters on a palm tree.

I don't know why it's so hard to understand that in many cases there are no original sources left.. they are lost in time.
edgar

Postby capullo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:09 pm

in my mail today. thick vinyl. sounds very good to my ears. good mastering job whatever the source was. great repress!

edit: i agree guillaume. it's taken from the original 7inch vinyl and not from mastertape - you clearly can hear all the vinyl artifacts underneath. still nice to have this. happy :D
capullo

Postby Mick Sleeper » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:34 am

Nice! This has always been one of my favourite Black Ark tunes. It was included on Trojan's Open The Gate, but the Upsetter 7" has a different mix — and no kids! Reggae Fever has been reissuing some really good Lee Perry material over the past few years.
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://www.upsetter.net/bass
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby jah_vaults » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:15 pm

guillaumebougard wrote:I've noticed that a number of reissue labels are releasing singles of tunes that are already available on compilations or CD's elsewhere.

What's the point of doing vinyls, which, in an ideal world, should be done using master tapes or, at least, audio files that have a 24bit rate, and not a 16bit rate like CD's. For the vinyl fetichists, might as well play a CD with a "vinyl" filter on

I would bet a zillion dollars that this one is mastered from a 16bit wav file ripped from CD's.

99% of the buyers won't know or notice but...

So once again, it would be nice if vinyl releases feature a mention that certifies the origin of the masters:

1. from original master tapes
2. from back up master tapes
3. from CD that used master tapes
4. from CD that used restored vinyl
5. from restored vinyl
6. from non-restored vinyl
7. from youtube, etc...

Good Point. Every Released Cd, seven inch or Twelve inch also dubplates should now state where the material was sourced from. Lee Perry Voodoism on pressure sounds has one or two of the cuts released by reggae fever. Click the link https://www.discogs.com/Lee-Perry-Voodo ... ase/398123
CLICK THE LINK TO BUY more items being added soon. Ska, Studio one, Rocksteady, Coxsone, Lee Perry, Treasure Isle, Dancehall, Digital, Dub, Roots Reggae & Ragga C.D.s & Vinyl http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Return to General discussion