Jamaican Revue à la Philharmonie de Paris

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Jamaican Revue à la Philharmonie de Paris

Postby swaby974 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:00 pm

There's an exposition in Paris until the 13th August 2017 at Philharmonie de Paris called "jamaica Jamaica":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f39eUpe9TVU
Here's a concert show with JAH9, Brigadier Jerry, Johnny Osbourne and Lee Scratch Perry (21th April 2017) recorded at Philharmonie de Paris :
http://www.arte.tv/fr/videos/075324-000 ... e-de-paris
swaby974

Re: Jamaican Revue à la Philharmonie de Paris

Postby adrians wall » Wed May 31, 2017 11:10 pm

Absolutely amazing exhibition, I went during the first week of it opening and its got so much great stuff all in one area. I've got heaps of photos of what is on show but I highly recommend anyone who can make the trip to do so before it closes in August.
adrians wall

Postby johnnyB » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:01 pm

Is there a way to get a poster of the exhibition?
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby Living Bate » Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:30 am

this looks amazing....

i need to try and get to Paris!!
Living Bate

Postby nickus » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:44 pm

Even if I'm French, I didn't go...a friend of mine has been ask to make a mix for the exhibition, Greg from graal records is a only roots fan and dealer for 30 years, this mix is just absolut imo, Stricktly roots, dubplate, obscure mix... Make yourself an opinion and try to make the tracklist....
https://www.mixcloud.com/radiojamaicajamaica/graal-records-mix/
nickus

Postby zonard » Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:14 pm

nickus wrote:Even if I'm French, I didn't go...a friend of mine has been ask to make a mix for the exhibition, Greg from graal records is a only roots fan and dealer for 30 years, this mix is just absolut imo, Stricktly roots, dubplate, obscure mix... Make yourself an opinion and try to make the tracklist....
https://www.mixcloud.com/radiojamaicajamaica/graal-records-mix/

You should go there or you will regret it !
I went to the exhibition twice, amazing stuff presented here, don't miss !
zonard

Postby ALLTRIBESWELCOME » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:05 pm

I will be in Paris later in July and will check this out.
Seems nice.
ALLTRIBESWELCOME

Postby lankou » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:17 pm

Frankly, as much as i respect the efforts involved in order to put together such an event and shed some light on music genres which tend to be all too often caricatured, i don't exactly see what is so exceptional in its content : by and large, it is a VERY biased history of JA music - which has to be expected, given the pedigree of most of its contributors.
Really enjoyable was the section devoted to the early stages, ie mento, trad folklore and big band music : some very unusual documents and pics, lovely !
Ska was AT BEST quickly brushed off, not to mention rocksteady, which isn't even dealt with. Of course, the early years of reggae are once more totally ignored.
At the end of the exhibition, the way dancehall is treated is quite a shame - one short video with dancehall queens for a genre that's been alive for over 30 years, one wouldn't know it's seen so many phases !!!! Beth Lesser's pics aren't even included in that segment, while they obviously show the advent of digital dancehall.
Now for the nice bits : Studio 1 (a little short but good and well presented), rub a dub (but not clearly explained), dub and some educational things (like the recycling of Emmanuel Rd melody). The Marley segment is more of a Wailers segment, which is fine and only fair. It is one segment, not THE segment of ALL segments. Yet, why nothing else about other harmony groups, so essential until the early 80's?
Sadly, too many essential names are totally ignored, be they artists, musicians or producers.
On a strictly musical level, the various evolutions between the different phases are hardly explained - sometimes not at all. Couldn't a proper musician give his/her expertise?
Too bad, as a number of musicians must have visited JJ and, more often than not, many people who are trained in other genres experience difficulties to understand what is so special about JA music.
Seeing some old instruments behind a show window, whoever played them, will never equal the thrill of seeing artists play them : it's OK for fetishists, though. Same for consoles and speakers : no music coming out of them, sad!
Yet, i must say i had a pretty good time and definitely believe it is very good value for relative newbies and the mainstream. It is fine in this regard, imho.
lankou

Postby adrians wall » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:13 am

I think your being way to harsh there Iankou, its an excellent exhibition of equipment you would not normally get to see. Its never going to be able to cover everything as that is impossible. I thought it made great use of the space and every part of it was interesting to me.

For those interested I have uploaded a load of pictures I took of the exhibition to my facebook in a public album, they can be viewed here and cover most of the exhibition - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 14970fb502
adrians wall

Postby lankou » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:32 am

I don't think i'm being too harsh. I said i still enjoyed it, for all its omissions. One positive point i forgot is that it is really well presented, so very likely to reach its goal with the mainstream audience - and that isn't an easy thing to do in this era. Big up for that, really!
Yet, i find it a little surprising to see expletives such as "amazing" and "excellent" on websites and forums mostly followed by diehard JA music fans, like BAF, among others. What annoys me is the very biased and restrictive perspective - which is business as usual, as far as how reggae has been portrayed in France by many for ages.
The absence of a segment devoted to rocksteady is a major drawback, given it is that style that influenced a huge part of the following phases through the versioning of at least 40 original riddims, which have been recycled to no end later. It's a pity it's nowhere to be taught in that exhibition, though it is a (if notTHE) very distinctive trait of JA music that so many people still fail to grasp properly. Not enough room? err, not too sure, would have done fine without those silly Perry stage costumes, for instance! That's not what made LP great.
My "aim" isn't to put down JJ, just to moderate some opinions about it. Though i may be going against the grain, no big deal. The mainstream media have all endorsed it, so it's all good. It's just that not everybody can limit her/him self to the mainstream's approval.
lankou

Postby adrians wall » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:49 am

Your focusing on what is missing rather than what is present. Original skatalite & wailer instruments, studio one mixing desk, mic and organ, Tubby's desk, monitor speakers, organ and speaker boxes, the same desk, echo, phaser and tape machine as where burnt down at the black ark, original speaker boxes from nuff sounds, heaps of old dance flyers and posters. It's even got a fully working sound system that the public can play with a 3 way kill box, siren and selectable tunes. For me it is the single biggest collection of reggae memorabilia in one place that I have ever seen.

Obviously there are things missing but like everyone's record collections there is always something missing. You could 100,000 tunes and there would still be more to collect. You could have a full 10 warehouse of stuff and there would be still be stuff missing.
adrians wall

Postby j j » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:44 am

Adrian thanks so much for the photo link, looks fantastic..is that King Tubby speaker box an original????

Nikus - the Graal selection is awesome, I knew a few but so many great tracks there, thanks for the link!

j j
j j

Postby finbar » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:23 pm

While I am going to not be able to go to Paris to see it, I fully appreciate the work that Seb and team went through to make it happen. And I also appreciate Lankou's comments, which I don't think are unfair at all, he's just seeing it from the point of view of someone with deeper knowledge than the average visitor. It does boggle the brain a bit to span from mento to dancehall, and not touch rocksteady, for the reason he states (riddims that became versioned so many times later on). But from the sounds of it, there are quite a few other things to see to make the visit well worthwhile.

I suppose it's done its job if it makes casual fans of the music dig a little deeper after visiting it, and then they can fill in any missing pieces themselves.
finbar

Postby zonard » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:48 am

finbar wrote: he's just seeing it from the point of view of someone with deeper knowledge than the average visitor.

To me, this exhibition has more impact on people already into JA musics. With all stuff presented there I had more than I ever dreamed of.
I share Iankou pov regarding the lack of some genres or crucial artistes but I think that was a choice not to get “simple visitors” lost with too many info.
There will always be missing info/memorabilia but to me eyes & ears, the current exhibition is by FAR the best expo I have ever witnessed, so I definitely can accommodate to the missings.
Call me fetishist :D , but I much prefer see Tubby’s console to any explanation on how the hot summer of 66 coupled to US soul inspiration lead to rocksteady creation.
Just because the latter info is largely available in the literature, memorabilia can’t be seen otherwise.
zonard

Postby guillaumebougard » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:23 am

I havent visited this exhibit so I can't speak with full authority

However, I have been to the Jimi Hendrix Museum in Seattle, the Stax museum in Memphis and many others.

I have come to the conclusion that these places are boring except for fetichists. I mean what is the use of seeing the outfit that Isaac Hayes wore at the Stax concert in LA??? Or Robbie Shakespeare's Hoffner bass???

What I like about this particular exhibit is that Seb was able to stir up something with mainstream media and got to expose the wonderful Jamaican musical culture on radio stations that don't really push Reggae usually. As a propaganda tool for the Reggae cause, this was great and would need to be furthered. Let's just hope that something else will pick the baton up after this exhibit to continue spreading the Reggae Gospel!
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Return to General discussion