Prince Lincoln Thompson (And The Royal Rasses)

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Prince Lincoln Thompson (And The Royal Rasses)

Postby Carassius » Wed May 31, 2017 6:01 pm

One common need might just be one of the best reggae tunes ever imho
Carassius

Postby Ranking Glasses » Wed May 31, 2017 6:51 pm

lankou wrote:Come to think of it, D Russell is also very underated these days

Speaking of Devon Russell, I had Red Bum Ball by him on the Bamboo label from the early 70's and it was a much heavier rhythm than the original. The record was broken and I have never been able to find a another copy. Anyone know this tune?
Ranking Glasses

Postby slengteng » Wed May 31, 2017 6:56 pm

Carassius wrote:One common need might just be one of the best reggae tunes ever imho

I was looking for this title since this morning. A true masterpiece !
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby Donovan » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:27 pm

Well, I dug through my collection today (which has not been organized in any way :( ) and I found the 2002 gatefold repress of Experience and the 1999 CUlture Press CD of Unite The World. I'll give them a few listens and see what I think. I couldn't find my 2CD of Humanity, I hope it turns up.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby Andy G » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:59 am

Hands down one of my favorite reggae artists. Sophisticated song writing, beautiful voice, soulful vibes.
Andy G

Postby capullo » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:36 pm

thank you minidub anyway! i wouldn't mind :D

jah bill - i hear you - but still - i wouldn't label the album "natural wild" as pop and soft as you remember it. maybe that's due to the time it came out or maybe it's a so called "grower". the dub mix that follows "natural (reprise)" alone is actually pretty much the opposite of soft pop - more on the scientist heavy dubwise style side.

and don't get me wrong - i do like the disco-ish approach. it's really well arranged and with lincoln thompson's voice nothing can go wrong anyway 8)

edit: there is also some cool blues guitar and piano in those songs/tunes. great music craft/musicianship! no doubt!
capullo

Postby jb welda » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:32 pm

I might go back and listen to it again, but to be honest, the last time I figured it cannot be that bad, I don't think I made it through the first side before I decided, yeah it could.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Donovan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 3:12 am

I spun Unite The World and Experience last night. I've decided that I'm just not a fan of Prince Lincolns voice and delivery, so the material and production has to be top notch. Experience meets that criteria and is a terrific LP. Unite the World only half so. It sounds very early 80's UK'ish and it reminded me of post True Democracy Steel Pulse.

I still can't find Humanity, but in looking for it, I found From Matador's Arena Vol 3 on Jamaican Gold. I thought I lost that CD for good! :D
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Previous

Return to General discussion