Prince Lincoln Thompson (And The Royal Rasses)

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Prince Lincoln Thompson (And The Royal Rasses)

Postby capullo » Tue May 30, 2017 5:12 pm

what a great voice! only recently discovered this highly underrated singer and songwriter when getting a copy of a studio one sampler with his tune "live up to your name" on it. instantly fell in love. then read about him in david rodigan's book and checked all his albums. great, great stuff! he must have had a soft spot for american funk and disco as some tunes carry that flavour. i can highly recommend all his albums. top solid music! love it!
capullo

Re: Prince Lincoln Thompson (And The Royal Rasses)

Postby Ranking Glasses » Tue May 30, 2017 5:48 pm

Barely gets a mention nowadays. Many great tunes but Love The Way It Should Be and Kingston 11 are my favourites. Pure gold.
Ranking Glasses

Postby minidub » Tue May 30, 2017 7:01 pm

we just played "love the way it should be" on our last radio broadcast.
he gets lots of love and listens in our house.

m.
minidub

Postby capullo » Tue May 30, 2017 7:57 pm

somebody posted this video here on the baf board too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AA5DtIKWcJY
capullo

Postby Inyaki » Tue May 30, 2017 8:08 pm

Talented singer / songwriter with a unique style. Accomplished musician too, he could play a few instruments, guitar, bass, keys.
A photo of Prince Lincoln on bass (with myself on drums) from 94 during a soundcheck.
https://scontent.flhr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=599D915E
Inyaki

Postby jb welda » Wed May 31, 2017 5:54 am

unfortunately back in the day the first LP I bought by Lincoln Thompson was that Natural Wild set. Way overproduced and poppy sounding. Turned me off him for a long while, then someone, possibly minidub, made me a sampler of some of his better stuff and I was sold. Studio One especially but also up through the years even including that cd single that was released after his death. some of the best reggae ever, just beautiful voices and great riddims.

if you haven't heard it, the 2002 issue of the rasses: experience is well worthwhile and shouldn't be too hard to find. I am pretty sure I have a spare copy on vinyl if anyone is interested.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Donovan » Wed May 31, 2017 8:29 am

I remember the 2CD Humanity (Orange Street) set and I was underwhelmed. But just last week I was spinning Studio One Roots Vol 2 (Soul Jazz) and was blown away by the song "True Experience". I'll have to revisit the Humanity set and see what I think.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby slengteng » Wed May 31, 2017 9:21 am

I discover the man with the song "Revolutionary Man" on a top budget comp nearly 20 years ago. Loved it ! Then bought the "Unite The World" CD version of "Roots Man Blues" and although it is not 100% roots it still has a special place in my collection.
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby slengteng » Wed May 31, 2017 9:23 am

Inyaki wrote:A photo of Prince Lincoln on bass (with myself on drums) from 94 during a soundcheck.
https://scontent.flhr3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=599D915E

I guess it was in Bilbao ? I once heard the (bootlegged) concert and it was great.
slengteng

Postby Inyaki » Wed May 31, 2017 11:08 am

That was my recording, someone shared on the net.
The show was filmed on video too. He did many songs he wouldn't normally perform in the London shows I have been too. I suggested a few songs to be performed live.

Still waiting to the Studio One album....only know 3 tunes.

I took this photo circa 85 at a live show in London. He was playing keyboards and singing at the same time.
[Img]
Inyaki

Postby slengteng » Wed May 31, 2017 11:27 am

I would love to watch this performance !

And a Studio One album would be great, indeed.
slengteng

Postby TruthTown » Wed May 31, 2017 12:47 pm

Inyaki wrote:That was my recording, someone shared on the net.
The show was filmed on video too. He did many songs he wouldn't normally perform in the London shows I have been too. I suggested a few songs to be performed live.

That live is still around on the net with the wrong date (1986)

I love his Old Time Friends/San Salvador 12" on Ballistic. And now you mention "Love The Way It Should Be", there is a nice version of that rhythm on Fashion, with Dee Sharp, Keith Douglas, and more maybe
Last edited by TruthTown on Wed May 31, 2017 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TruthTown

Postby lankou » Wed May 31, 2017 12:48 pm

A great singer, really, i think his more sophisticated approach was a refreshing change from the droning rub a dub style then ruling the reggae arena with its lack of melody / arrangements. Yes, he had a number of disco-ish tunes but most of his material still relied on strong drum & bass foundations - and mostly not those of well-tried 60's classics.
The man should also be remembered for being a member of The Tartans, with Cedric Myton, Devon Russell and a lesser-known partner. A fine vocal group in the (mostly) rocksteady era.
Come to think of it, D Russell is also very underated these days, despite the fact that he released a Studio 1 album - definitely not one of the best, though.
lankou

Postby minidub » Wed May 31, 2017 3:13 pm

yes jah bill, i did indeed send you a compilation CD of his material -- chock full of killer music.

i've been looking for it to offer to capullo, but so far no luck. (though i am on crutches and can't bend to check all ther nooks & crannies...)

m.
minidub

Next

Return to General discussion