Bob Marley Exodus - poll

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Bob Marley Exodus - poll

Postby ice » Sun May 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Inyaki wrote:
Ranking Glasses wrote:Apparently Lee Perry helped to mix Bob's LPs.

Albums were mixed in London ( or Criteria in Miami) while LP was in Jamaica.
Survival and Uprising were the only truly jamaican albums ( and even Survival was mixed and produced by Alex Sadkin, an american! ).

that's not the whole story, though - Perry was, for example, visiting Bob while he was in exile in London; during this period they recorded / mixed "Punky Reggae Party" and a re-recording of "Keep on moving" (though not with the Wailers but with members of Aswad)
ice

Postby 99thfloor » Sun May 28, 2017 4:30 pm

Are you confusing this with the sessions done with Lee Perry, like the one in July/August 1977 that produced "Punky Reggae Party" and "Keep on Moving"?

ice wrote:Roots was recorded in Kingston in 1976, so it better fits to Rastaman Vibration (where it was eventually published, on one of the re-releases)

"Roots" is a bonus track on both the regular remaster and the Deluxe Edition of Exodus, there is no version of Rastaman Vibration that has it.
99thfloor

Postby ice » Sun May 28, 2017 4:49 pm

99thfloor wrote:"Roots" is a bonus track on both the regular remaster and the Deluxe Edition of Exodus, there is no version of Rastaman Vibration that has it.

ok, I should have checked first. Nevertheless, Roots was recorded in fall 1975, together with most of the other tracks that were later published on "Rastaman Vibration" so it should have been put on that album and not on Exodus
ice

Postby 99thfloor » Sun May 28, 2017 6:20 pm

ice wrote:ok, I should have checked first. Nevertheless, Roots was recorded in fall 1975, together with most of the other tracks that were later published on "Rastaman Vibration" so it should have been put on that album and not on Exodus

Yes, I guess it gets forever associated with Exodus because it was a B-side of that era. Same thing with the two versions of "Smile Jamaica", which I think were recorded close together, one has been put on Rastaman Vibration and the other on Kaya. I think the new reissue of Exodus will have the Black Ark version (split into vocal and dub this time).
Last edited by 99thfloor on Mon May 29, 2017 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
99thfloor

Postby slengteng » Sun May 28, 2017 6:34 pm

ice wrote:
99thfloor wrote:"Roots" is a bonus track on both the regular remaster and the Deluxe Edition of Exodus, there is no version of Rastaman Vibration that has it.

ok, I should have checked first. Nevertheless, Roots was recorded in fall 1975, together with most of the other tracks that were later published on "Rastaman Vibration" so it should have been put on that album and not on Exodus

One Love/People Get Ready and The Heathen were recorded in 1975 too, yet they appear on Exodus.
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby ice » Sun May 28, 2017 6:36 pm

yeah, both versions of "Smile Jamaica" were recorded in late 1976, just prior to the Smile Jamaica Concert
ice

Postby ice » Sun May 28, 2017 6:57 pm

slengteng wrote:
ice wrote:

One Love/People Get Ready and The Heathen were recorded in 1975 too, yet they appear on Exodus.

since you seem to quote from Steffens' Discography, you should repeat the entire text:

original recordings in JA ca. September 1975
mixed in London in early 1977 (so they were never intended to be released on Rastaman Vibration)
alternate vocal recordings in an early 1977
final mixes in London in early 1977

btw: in 1975 there was no Junior Marvin in the band around to play that wicked solo on Heathen
ice

Postby slengteng » Sun May 28, 2017 7:18 pm

ice wrote:
slengteng wrote:

since you seem to quote from Steffens' Discography, you should repeat the entire text:

original recordings in JA ca. September 1975
mixed in London in early 1977 (so they were never intended to be released on Rastaman Vibration)
alternate vocal recordings in an early 1977
final mixes in London in early 1977

btw: in 1975 there was no Junior Marvin in the band around to play that wicked solo on Heathen

I was about to write, "and obviously mixed later" in my post but that seems too obvious to me. THANK YOU :roll:
slengteng

Postby Inyaki » Mon May 29, 2017 1:14 pm

ice wrote:
Inyaki wrote:

Albums were mixed in London ( or Criteria in Miami) while LP was in Jamaica.
Survival and Uprising were the only truly jamaican albums ( and even Survival was mixed and produced by Alex Sadkin, an american! ).

that's not the whole story, though - Perry was, for example, visiting Bob while he was in exile in London; during this period they recorded / mixed "Punky Reggae Party" and a re-recording of "Keep on moving" (though not with the Wailers but with members of Aswad)

That was after the albums were done, a different session.I spoke to musicians ( not only Wailers....many London musicians popped in ) who were at those west London sessions.
If Scratch had some input the main candidate would be Rastaman Vibration, apparently Bob flew him to Florida (Criteria), that's where Bob met Alex Sadkin.
Inyaki

Postby slengteng » Mon May 29, 2017 1:29 pm

Inyaki wrote:[.I spoke to musicians ( not only Wailers....many London musicians popped in ) who were at those west London sessions.

Would you name them ? I'm curious ! Now that liner notes are often irrelevant...
slengteng

Postby ice » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:17 pm

@ guillaume

was / is your initial post in any way related to the publishing of "Exodus 40"?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... es-w477854
ice

Previous

Return to General discussion