Bob Marley Exodus - poll

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Bob Marley Exodus - poll

Postby Tomcat » Mon May 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Guiltiness
Natural Mystic
Waiting in Vain

I like the Heathen a lot but the live version is better for me. See Babylon by Bus.
Tomcat

Postby guillaumebougard » Mon May 22, 2017 9:03 pm

Inyaki wrote:Sounds like London reggae, the mix, the guitar pedals, the whole vibe, etc....

I know you like to write thought provoking stuff, but there is no UK reggae album that sounds remotely like Exodus

There is also no JA album that sounds like Bob Marley's music

In part because he didnt want to sound like a regular Jamaican musician and aspired to be universal and also because he had the means and money and record company to do that. Exodus took 5 months to produce. By comparison a typical Jamaican could be done in half a day
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby Ras Berry » Mon May 22, 2017 9:20 pm

Akee123 wrote:The question that no one ever asks...."is it hard for you to celebrate songs your dad wrote for otter women?"

FFS! Don't mention the otter women!!

8)
Ras Berry

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon May 22, 2017 9:24 pm

Akee123 wrote:The question that no one ever asks...."is it hard for you to celebrate songs your dad wrote for otter women?"

In an interview Rita Marley said she refused to sing Turn Your Lights Down Low because Bob wrote it for Cindy Breakspear.

It's very common in JA for a man to play away.
Ranking Glasses

Postby 99thfloor » Mon May 22, 2017 9:45 pm

Tomcat wrote:I like the Heathen a lot but the live version is better for me.

I have already voted elsewhere, so I won't repeat it here and mess up the counting, but even though I love "The Heathen" I did not incude it in my choices for this reason, it is live where it really blooms, taking on hypnotic qualities.

Ras Berry wrote:FFS! Don't mention the otter women!!

Ha, ha, I was just going to ask what kind of aquatic creature that referred to. :lol:
99thfloor

Postby Peacemakeya » Tue May 23, 2017 1:33 am

It’s not possible for me to pick a few favorite because Exodus is a concept album and strangely enuff, all the tracks are connected. But, will comment on ‘Three Little Birds.’ No one yet mention that song. Me know on the surface it may feel like a children’s nursery rhyme rather than the preferred crowd pleasing reggae power sub-sonics but, IMO the song’s strength is in it’s simple sing-a-long nursery rhyme vibes.

'Three Little Birds' has sometime been my go-to Bob song when helping at-risk children; and very effectively, because it so profoundly carry the innocent trusting child message of hope; that no matter what may come in this world of both beauty and hurt, when the hurt take over, “Don’t worry bout a ting cuz every likkle ting gunna be alright.”

Something I’ve long wondered about was the intro of the song:

Rise up this mornin'
Smiled with the risin' sun
Three little birds
Pitch by my doorstep
Singin' sweet songs
Of melodies pure and true
Saying', (this is my message to you)

Mi know some don't go with quantum theology, but to I it feel like Bob was given the song inter-dimensionally by them birds. What indigenous peoples, who remain connected to them ancient future, refer to as “the interconnectedness of all life” and the ability of certain creatures coming to us as ‘Spirit Helpers.’ The ily Bibby (Holy Bible) refer to this in various way: ie. Elijah being fed by a raven.

Bob did share with us that all his originals came to him in his dreamy visions, so it’s not impossible that the three little birds did actually deliver him that song in the twilight between sleep and wake up this mornin’.

re: the ocd womanizing ting …

Akee123 say:

The question that no one ever asks

In fact, in certain quarter the question was profoundly asked. There was stream of reggae originators who never went with the excesses of the rasta cult … man like Toots, Jimmy, Willi Williams, Clinton Fearon, Pat Kelly, Yabby You etc. But for some reason Yabby became the lightning rod and take the heat in that clash.

Mi Yabby You-logy provide an insight into this clash.
http://www.bloodandfire.co.uk/db/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36587&start=0

It recall Bob and Yabby’s last meeting pon this Urt. It don’t speak to the details such as the womanizing which Yabby also i.d. as infradig default. It does speak to Yabby’s frequent teaching: "Men made religion is the first sign of mental illness" => the deceived deceiver mentality of bowing down to terrestrial aristocracy (Selassie) as somehow that supposed to be Yasus Amashea (Jesus Christ) incarnate. IMO it is from that first failure to discern spirits that lead to the 7 dead-lies including being con-troll by the little head. But, regardless how them children come into this world and not excusing womanizing … yet the mistakes of the parents need not be carried by the children and every child suppose be a blessing.

Bob had been appointed and gifted by the Iyah1 to carry a new song to this world that uplift many millions. Yet, the human side was weak and falter. i.e. singing 1Luv on stage and then in private stomping on a man's head (Don Taylor) sending him to the hospital E.R. Should not have Bob first say to himself: "Foolish me for putting a men like him in a position of trust," and then practice what he preached?

But in the big picture - no worries because Bob had time pon his mortal death bed to have a change of heart. Bob now well cool and the story has a happy ending / new beginning.
Peacemakeya

Postby ras2thebone » Sat May 27, 2017 8:27 am

Guiltiness
The Heathen
Natural Mystic
ras2thebone

Postby ice » Sat May 27, 2017 12:53 pm

guillaumebougard wrote:Musicians, engineers and producers include Cat Coore, Brinsley Forde, Sly, Robbie, Carlos Santana, Ziggy Marley, Godwin Logie, Steven Stanley, Bitty McLean, Dennis Bovell

I need to call Karl Pitterson and some new artists but I keep forgetting

and what did they say?
ice

Postby ice » Sat May 27, 2017 1:14 pm

guillaumebougard wrote:
Exodus took 5 months to produce. By comparison a typical Jamaican could be done in half a day

to be fair, one should add that out of these five intense months two albums were conceived: Exodus, as well as Kaya
ice

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sat May 27, 2017 3:20 pm

Apparently Lee Perry helped to mix Bob's LPs.

Several people have chosen Guiltiness but I'm not sure why?
Ranking Glasses

Postby slengteng » Sat May 27, 2017 8:41 pm

Guiltiness : wonderful intro, solid riddim throughout the song, nice voices and great horns. Top mix. Even the skank is above average.
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby ice » Sun May 28, 2017 4:30 am

slengteng wrote:Guiltiness : wonderful intro, solid riddim throughout the song, nice voices and great horns. Top mix. Even the skank is above average.

and don't forget the lyrics:

woe to the downpressors
they'll eat the bread of sad tomorrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAi9EqDUKEo (the only known live recording)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oY1JRUfbR6A (with alternate lyrics and horns)
ice

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun May 28, 2017 7:48 am

I guess it must be the fish thing.

Is there any live footage of Roots? Should have been on Exodus imho.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Inyaki » Sun May 28, 2017 11:59 am

Ranking Glasses wrote:Apparently Lee Perry helped to mix Bob's LPs.

Albums were mixed in London ( or Criteria in Miami) while LP was in Jamaica.
Survival and Uprising were the only truly jamaican albums ( and even Survival was mixed and produced by Alex Sadkin, an american! ).
Inyaki

Postby ice » Sun May 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:I guess it must be the fish thing.

Is there any live footage of Roots? Should have been on Exodus imho.

Roots was recorded in Kingston in 1976, so it better fits to Rastaman Vibration (where it was eventually published, on one of the re-releases)

there are appr. 120 different live recordings circulating, none of them has a live version of Roots
ice

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion