Havana Meets Kingston

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Havana Meets Kingston

Postby lankou » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:07 pm

All in all, the result of this exciting project turned out to be some sort of a letdown, imho. Some tunes are really good but none better than the initial Randy Valentine 7". Seems like the producer had too many talents within reach and some ideas didn't really gel together. All isn't always seamlessly blended and several Cuban interventions sometimes lack punch and originality, same for some JA chanters who ended up churning out the same flows and sounds they were already known for in the early 2000's. This bobo toasting and chanting is old hat now. It finally wore out after ruling the scene for so many years. Too many by reggae's previous standards, which had provided new tricks, twists and turns month after month. Too few current talents there - that is those who've brought some fresh air back after that very long period of stagnation. Much prefered many of the tunes Sly & Robbie did under the "La Trenggae" banner, or even better what Ska Cubano did by mixing JA and latin caribbean genres, or what many latin american bands have been recording for over 20 years, mixing their own cultures with JA's. None of those were hyped up in any way in the international mainstream media, though, just like this current project from Sao Paulo, Brazil, which well worth checking out : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWsFCh8QPWE ,also mixing latin sounds and reggae.
Still looking forward to the second volume, though.
lankou

Re: Havana Meets Kingston

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:51 am

Interesting as always to get your view as always, Iankou. I have not been immediately taken with the album either to be honest. But I don't think I have given it enough of a chance yet, having only played it two or three times in full.
Reggie Love

Previous

Return to General discussion