Lee Perry on Rodigan, blam blam blam

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Lee Perry on Rodigan, blam blam blam

Postby guillaumebougard » Thu May 11, 2017 8:39 pm

words of wisdom from Lee Perry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUSN7DhwlNM
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Re: Lee Perry on Rodigan, blam blam blam

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri May 12, 2017 5:39 am

You mean he isn't the Godfather of reggae?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmtq9DtrMco
Ranking Glasses

Postby flashman » Fri May 12, 2017 5:56 am

I missed where Rodigan claimed to be The Godfather of reggae. Though I did see him deny he ever would say such a thing. So could you clear up why Lee Perry is so wise?
flashman

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri May 12, 2017 6:25 am

It was an article on BBC London News where the reporter said he was the Godfather of reggae in the UK. Rodigan never claimed he was. Rodigan has done a lot for the music but many others could claim that title.

Some people are angry because black contributors are not recognised in the same way.
Last edited by Ranking Glasses on Fri May 12, 2017 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranking Glasses

Postby flashman » Fri May 12, 2017 6:48 am

With good reason. Kind of a shame Rodigan gets the direct blame, though.The fact that he gets undue credit from the white mainstream is more the problem. There's no wisdom in Perry's words. They're misdirected and blame Rodigan for something someone else said about him.
flashman

Postby lankou » Fri May 12, 2017 9:45 am

I don't see where Perry blames Rodigan, he just implies that he knows better in a funny way - that is smart !
Obviously, LP is one of the main godfathers of reggae and, seing how people have been splitting hair all over the cyberspace, he sums it all up in the best way ! No sour grapes, no lip service.
lankou

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri May 12, 2017 3:18 pm

Rodigan has been awarded an MBE so Dennis Bovell, Lloyd Coxsone, Jah Shaka, etc. should get a knighthood! Although Coxsone is already a "Sir" :D

Benjanmin Zephaniah famously turned down his OBE due to the Queen's links with colonialism but this was more for his services to poetry rather than his services to reggae.
Ranking Glasses

Postby guillaumebougard » Fri May 12, 2017 4:29 pm

flashman wrote:With good reason. Kind of a shame Rodigan gets the direct blame, though.The fact that he gets undue credit from the white mainstream is more the problem. There's no wisdom in Perry's words. They're misdirected and blame Rodigan for something someone else said about him.

Good gosh, don't take things so literally. Ease up a bit
Lee Perry has far more humor and legitimacy than this kindergarden beef. He is one of Reggae music's true dons of all dons and this short video is ample evidence that he is way above that kind of moronic feud.
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby jb welda » Sun May 14, 2017 10:41 pm

Its easy to pick on someone who has worked himself up to the pinnacle Rodigan has, and its really not fair. The man has worked his way to whatever title someone else might put on him, and against pretty much all odds, despite what Lee Perry implies and lloydie coxsone states. As with the Coxsone case, I would bet David Rodigan would welcome Scratch on his radio show anytime to talk about anything, and I think he has the deep respect for Scratch that would reflect in how he handled it. In other words, as a gentleman. So big up to Roddy and I think most anyone of sound mind would agree his enthusiasm is infectious and in many cases how and why many of us even listen to reggae in the first place.

I doubt either have gotten the reaction this move must have:

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon May 15, 2017 6:21 am

I agree with everything you've said JB and as I say, much of my appreciation for and my knowledge of reggae music is due to Rodigan mostly from his radio shows and from Gossips night club on a Saturday night.

The point I will make again however is that many black people in the UK have also spent decades making and promoting the music but they don't get the same recognition.
Ranking Glasses

Postby KingSimeonSound » Mon May 15, 2017 8:25 am

I think one of the main and strongest points that was made and is clear is the lack of support to the UK & recognition on the UK sound phenomenon & it's influence on so much since. Even now itis barely recognised or understood & appears bubbled to those who were a part of it at the fullest commitment. Certainly R did not make much efforts to push Uk productions or appear to acknowledge uk sound culture.. until it suited a certain level of popularity.

Personally, i don't think this all sits on one persons shoulders & think a lot of negative is tied in with jealousy. He has achieved a lot and taken the music to many new audiences. Its the sad vacume of lack of recognition & therefore likely to be an un-recorded part of a significant cultural phenomenon. This sadness / loss is worsenned with the sense that somone who had very little to do with it will be recorded in history and known by a dullard culture to represent 'reggae' & 'sound system'. I blame the universities & financial & commercial push that has driven thing away from having integrity. My 2pence.
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
KingSimeonSound

Postby Ranking Glasses » Mon May 15, 2017 12:25 pm

Another thing, and I'm happy to be proved wrong, is that Rodigan doesn't tend to play UK / European roots and dub.
Ranking Glasses

Postby KingSimeonSound » Mon May 15, 2017 12:56 pm

In fairness, he has played more in the past five years or so than before. He's played Will Tee, some Conscious Sounds and Vibronics I believe as well as some live band productions. If I am cynical, its as much to do with little out there of quality in the dancehall productions, but can't say that he hasn't played them more recently. Also pushed YT with his special, so is in tune with a good few things on these sides in the past decade.

Back in the day UK productions/artists were less fortunate.
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
KingSimeonSound

Postby lankou » Mon May 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Mr Ranking Specs, i have no idea what " European roots and dub" means, though i see what you mean by "UK roots and dub", to a certain extent, and the people they influence on the continental. Simply said, there are so many different sounds of roots reggae /dub on the continent that summing it all up to that "stiff" sound that is currently doing very well among the largest reggae sound system audiences is a bit of a cliché.
A whole lot of roots/dub productions released on the continent don't sound like "UK dub" (to make it short) at all - which is a good thing ! :wink:
As for Rodigan influencing people in the 4 corners of the world, well, this has never been so in most countries. His profile has raised a lot thanks to the web through the years but
it's other people from other countries who developed their own scenes. Not Coxsone UK, not Rodi, not anyone from the UK, because, more often than not they couldn't care less about reaching out to the rest of europe, apart from some bands and artists like Steel Pulse, Aswad, LKJ, Tippa Irie, Macka B & Mad Prof and a A FEW more, not sound systems, not radio jocks, at all ! Local FM radio jocks helped to spread reggae vibes in continental Europe too, like local bands/artists - a number of them having very large followings, much larger than most JA and anglo-saxon artists nowadays.
lankou

Postby jb welda » Mon May 15, 2017 11:30 pm

In no way am I going to claim anything vis a vis UK sounds and Rodigan, but about six or so years ago I asked him how much he followed UK sounds and I specifically mentioned Dougie and Conscious Sounds, as they had king general out and several other really great tracks, and he said he didn't know much about them. So I recommended he take a listen and I believe I even sent him a CD compilation I made of Conscious Sounds but also some Iration Steppas and some Ghetto Priest and so on. So if from that point he maybe showed a little more interest in the UK sets, maybe I in some small way had something to do with it. I think I recall mentioning it to Dougie at the time, by way of documenting that claim. Anyhow I would probably have to agree, if there is something Rodigan might be lacking in, it might be the more local (to him) scene around him to the favor of original JA sound or even modern JA dancehall, which he seems to be pretty up on.

Anyway big up to Rodigan, even though I did not hear his broadcasts or anything at the time, I was certainly aware of his presence and his influence even within the West Indies community.

one love
jb
jb welda

Next

Return to General discussion