Roger Steffens new Bob Marley book

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Roger Steffens new Bob Marley book

Postby Peacemakeya » Fri May 05, 2017 5:58 am

I'm continually asked when my Marley Oral History, So Much Things To Say, will be published. The answer is July 11 and there is a terrific discount currently available on Amazon for preorders https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=So+Much+Things+To+Say%3A+The+Oral+History+of+Bob+Marley

"So Much Things To Say: The Oral History of Bob Marley" (Norton Press) ... Linton Kwesi Johnson wrote the intro! It is the result of 14 years of writing and 27 years of research, interviews with 74 of those closest to Bob and 40 rare and unreleased photos I took.

My French translator (the book has already been sold for French, Brazilian, Spanish and Dutch reprints) sent this critique:

'So Much Things' is by far the most important and definitive book written about Bob Marley, therefore in my opinion the best book about Jamaican music, although there are many contenders. To me it ranks with Mezz Mezzrow's 'Really the Blues' masterpiece, Mike Gerber's 'Jazz Jews' or Keith Richards' 'Life.' But really, although it's easy and pleasant to read for anyone, it's beyond a book about music, it's a major ethnology study. In showing what Bob Marley's true place is as a historical figure of the twentieth century, just like the best Mandela or Gandhi or Lennon biographies it's about mankind on an anthropologic level. It makes it real, it makes you face it, and what it is that it really makes you face is what the majority of the human race, what all of the people South of the rich West really have to say to everyone — North, South, East and West. It's about identity, culture, pride, spirituality — it helps us understand who we really are. That's what Bob Marley was all about, and as such his brilliant works stand unparalleled in the music business. Thank you for putting together a book that matches the level and scope of its outstanding subject. - Bruno Blum (Musician, music historian, writer, artist and lecturer based in Paris.)

One Love,
Roger
Peacemakeya

Re: Roger Steffens new Bob Marley book

Postby guillaumebougard » Tue May 09, 2017 7:44 am

Bruno is a bit hyperbolistic and since he is involved in this book's translation, his appraisal of Roger's book is a wee bit biased.

I will therefore not base my decision to buy the book on his review! I will buy it because I have alwaysenjoyoed Roger's approach and depth of knowledge.
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby lankou » Tue May 09, 2017 11:56 am

I tend to get pretty fed up with all those books about BM. Yet, if there's one i'll give a try, it's this one. Always enjoyed your approach and sense of humour and i hope i'll find it again in that volume. Yet, i don't really need that someone's review to influence me. I'll second Guillaume on that, though i find him "rather" kind when he writes "hyperbolistic" and "a wee bit biased". Either it's a euphemism or irony ! :wink:
lankou

Postby Dubdirectory » Sat May 13, 2017 8:45 am

I got the information from Amazon that the delivery is postponed to Aug, 31st.
btw in Germany the book is cheaper: Eur 17,99 / USD 21,04
Dubdirectory

Postby Peacemakeya » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:15 pm

Dear Friends,

My Marley oral history book is about to drop next Tuesday. For those in the L.A. area, the attached invite to its debut at Skylight Books on Saturday July 15 at 5 pm will give you details of the publication party/reading at our city's finest independent bookstore ... 1818 N. Vermont Ave,. Los Angeles, CA.

Today, Rolling Stone Magazine has posted a chapter from the book. It's about the assassination attempt on Marley's life in December of 1976. Here's the link:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/bob-marleys-1976-shooting-read-excerpt-from-oral-history-w488237

I'll be on NPR Monday morning on a network show called 1A talking with Joshua Johnson about the book.

It's the number one reggae book currently on amazon (the kindle version is number six), and there's an audio book which I read coming next week too from Tantor Media. I spent the last 15 years working on this one, and I hope you like it.

One Love,
Roger
Peacemakeya

Return to General discussion