10 Things I don't Like About Live Music

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: 10 Things I don't Like About Live Music

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sat May 06, 2017 8:06 am

jb welda wrote:a certain backing duo are pretty much known for this
Sly & Robbie?

I hate when they get the audience to wave their hands in the air from side to side and you feel compelled to participate in this pointless activity.

I also hate when they break into Bob Marley. Luciano's rendition of Redemption Song wasn't good, and it's particularly nauseating when they sing "One Love" to close the show.

I don't like when the children mimic their famous father, e.g. the grimace on key words and rubbing their foreheads vigorously for no apparent reason. Now even the grandchildren are cashing in on the legacy. Bob said if it's not original then it's not roots.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Reggie Love » Sat May 06, 2017 9:05 am

Agree with many of the comments above and I recognise the tiresome cliches.

I've been to quite a lot a reggae gigs in the past few years in London and many have been very enjoyable, particularly with some of the younger artists who have their own bands.
For example:
Hollie Cook (she usually plays with the General Roots band who are very good).
Protoje and his Indiggnation band - excellent live peformer with superb band - looking forward to seeing them again next Friday.
Chronixx and his Zinc Fence Band.
Ragin Fyah - brilliant self-contained band
Beres Hammond and his band
Tarrus Riley and his band
Daman Marley and his band
Julian Marley and his band
Bitty Mclean - excellent live singer, though he doesn't have his own band

And I'm looking forward to see Vin Gordon for the first time in Kensington. in June. I hear he has an excellent band of musicians behind him, particularly the bass player :D
Last edited by Reggie Love on Sat May 06, 2017 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reggie Love

Postby yms » Sat May 06, 2017 9:14 am

Wow RG that Capelton performance was embarassing. Lyrical content made me cringe as well..
yms

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sat May 06, 2017 10:21 pm

Shame because he's actually very talented.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Reggie Love » Sun May 07, 2017 7:23 am

He is very talented, but well past his peak. The first couple of times I saw him, in 2000, he was - excuse the pun - on fire. So incendiary he was dangerous. One of the most exciting live performers I've ever seen. The one at Three Mill Island in East London in 2000 was something special.
Two or three years later, it was all a bit half-arsed, pulling up every two minutes (if that) only singing snatches of lyrics and holding the mic out expecting the audience to fill in the gaps. One night he came on at the Stratford Rex at 1.45am (2003 I think) on a Sunday night/Monday morning and did about 40 mins of the above - not the best 30 quid I've ever spent.
Records-wise, I think few reggae artists have put out three albums in a row as strong as the post millennium 'fire' trilogy.
Reggie Love

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun May 07, 2017 8:51 am

True and I also think that the "more fire" business has had its day. What a load of hysteria!

It's not always the artis / band: http://metro.co.uk/2017/04/24/alkaline-concert-at-02-academy-cancelled-after-fans-storm-venue-6593688/
Ranking Glasses

Postby ice » Sun May 07, 2017 12:54 pm

bands (in this case artists) who have been performing basically the very same set list for decades now, although their catalogue is so huge they easily throw in some variety
ice

Previous

Return to General discussion