Cuica percussion

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Cuica percussion

Postby TruthTown » Thu May 04, 2017 12:58 pm

Anyone knows what kind of cuica is used in reggae? I have one but doesn't sound properly IMHO, and would like to purchase a good one.

For example, I hear one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk0PKyQY4P4

Thanks
TruthTown

Re: Cuica percussion

Postby bridgeman » Fri May 05, 2017 2:55 pm

There's lots of cuíca in reggae. I'm listening to Tenor Saw's Fever album this morning and found that Shirley Dub is FULL of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i55IkMT8M20

I can't get the same sounds out of mine, either, and I understand that you change the tone somewhat by varying pressure on the head of the drum. I'll be following to see if you get some more information. The only advice I can offer is to make sure to pronounce "cuíca" with a strong E ;)
bridgeman

Re: Cuica percussion

Postby TruthTown » Sat May 06, 2017 7:37 am

Thanks bridgeman. Yes, varying the pressure done, sounds vary, but I am not happy with what I'm getting from my cuica...I was hoping someone would tell us if with a particular material, size, etc...one gets a more warn and deep sound...sometimes, equalizing it, you can get something similar, but definitely its not the same. lets keep waiting for a good percussionist to tell his experience (and maybe some pics)

A lot of FX in that cuica of teh song you posted. I was told that the first time that cuica was used in reggae was in a BMW album. Cant say now in which of them.

I know a producer who makes the cuica sounds with his voice! and I tell you, it sounds good!
TruthTown

Return to General discussion