Jah Bunny, Ras Elroy & Technicolor

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Jah Bunny, Ras Elroy & Technicolor

Postby kalcidis » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:33 pm

Some days ago I heard a tune by Technicolor called »Big Towns« on Jah Larry's Clarendon-label. Not the most exciting release perhaps but quite cool still. The rhythm however sounded very familiar and soon I realised it was the same bassline (or at least very very very very similar) to Jah Bunny, Ras Elroy & Dougie Conscious' »In A 81 Style Chapter 1« 12" on Main Line.

The thing is though ... the Technicolor is from '88 and the Jah Bunny, Ras Elroy & Dougie Conscious tune was released some few years ago but apparently was an unreleased tune from '81.

So if the information is correct that would mean that the Technicolor release would be seven years after the recording of the JB, RE (& DC) tune – even though the latter was released for the first time in the late 00's. It doesn't really make sense. It would be quite remarkable if the Technicolor was recorded without any influence since they're so extremely similar and both London-recording.

So my theories are:
1. The 81 Style was circulating in dubplate form and formed the inspiration for Technicolor's tune.
2. Jah Larry had connections with Ras Elroy/Jah Bunny and heard the mastertape with the '81 tune.
3. Ras Elroy/Jah Bunny were a part of the recording of the Technicolor tune and simply reused the bassline.

Anyone that knows?

The tunes in question:
81 Style – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BF8wa3suEI
Big Towns – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDJJBXSzNH8
kalcidis

Re: Jah Bunny, Ras Elroy & Technicolor

Postby rambo » Mon May 01, 2017 8:26 am

Im no expert and (am probably wrong) but that '81 style tune doesnt sound like it is actually from 1981. Just goin by the digital drum sound and general style of the tune sounds more like late '80s to me
rambo

Postby edgar » Mon May 01, 2017 2:31 pm

I think it's a typo on the label and it should be 83 instead of 88.

As CS002 was released in 82:
https://www.discogs.com/Lascell-Simion- ... se/3557804

also because the claredon releases from 86,87, 89 have a different label design. with asian looking fonts

the dub sounds like a mad professor thing.
edgar

Postby edgar » Mon May 01, 2017 3:17 pm

also it always saddens me when modern day artists or producers start re-doing/ re-making old recordings..

I mean if you have a van Gogh painting you are not going to paint it over because you think it's unfinished/you can do it better..(and hang your modified version in the museum instead of the original) do you ?
edgar

Postby kalcidis » Mon May 01, 2017 8:41 pm

rambo wrote:Im no expert and (am probably wrong) but that '81 style tune doesnt sound like it is actually from 1981. Just goin by the digital drum sound and general style of the tune sounds more like late '80s to me

I agree with you. But I've always had that down to the mixing they did when putting the release together. It could also of course be later than '81.

edgar wrote:I think it's a typo on the label and it should be 83 instead of 88.

As CS002 was released in 82:
https://www.discogs.com/Lascell-Simion- ... se/3557804

also because the claredon releases from 86,87, 89 have a different label design. with asian looking fonts

the dub sounds like a mad professor thing.

I don't know if I agree. For me '88 would seem right. Could be a year or two earlier but I'm quite certain it's not from '83. The 12" on the label all have that kind of design (also the LP's) and many of them are obviously late 80's. The singles have a different label design simply.

The Lascell Simion is a very nice disco by the way, and Lascell obviously is Jah Palm (since the tune features on his first and incredibly dread LP called All Creature).
kalcidis

Postby Andy G » Tue May 02, 2017 3:05 am

I actually quite like the tune. The tuffest tune ever, but still something worth tuning into. Never heard before. Thanks for sharing!
Andy G

Postby kalcidis » Tue May 02, 2017 1:20 pm

Yawn ... wrote a response but had to pause it for a meeting. Came back, finished it and clicked submit just to realise I was logged out and lost the whole message. :roll:

But I got a response from Dougie Wardrop (who has forgotten his password and therefor isn't able to respond personally on here):

They dont really sound the same

The theory that the drums dont sound from 81 is wrong bunny had some prototype syn drums( before the simmons) he still has them, it might be possible that bunny new jah palm,the tune was on dubplate back in the early 80s shaka used to run it

So if Shaka used to run the dub then I would assume that either Jah Larry or Technicolor heard it in a session and then either actively or indirectly recalled the bassline for their own production.

Andy G: Yeah ... it's not bad in any way. I just haven't clicked with it fully. Especially not when it's compared to the Main Line 12" which I rate very highly. A monster of a release.
kalcidis

Postby RB » Tue May 02, 2017 5:56 pm

"big towns" is killer. love that tune.
RB

Postby minidub » Tue May 02, 2017 6:50 pm

boy that very first "woo hoo hooeey" is so reminiscent of the late and very great junior delgado!
sort of stunned me.

m.
minidub

Return to General discussion