Lloydie Coxsone disses David Rodigan

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Lloydie Coxsone disses David Rodigan

Postby capullo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:01 am

Veteran soundman Lloyd Coxsone of London’s Sir Coxsone’s Outernational has given a video interview criticising radio disc jockey David Rodigan.

In the no holds barred 18 minute address, Coxsone calls Rodigan "David rob and gone" and "a one hour radio selector" with no sound. He challenges him to name one Jamaican artist who he has "bust" in the United Kingdom. “David Rodigan nah buss nobody! […] our Reggae music is bussing him!”

Speaking on behalf of the 500 sound systems of the UK, Lloyd calls for more respect from Jamaicans for his and other sounds’ work during times of open racism and police brutality. He cites Bob and Marcia, Ken Boothe, Bob Marley and Dennis Brown as artists he and his colleagues helped up the British charts. He also disparages the proliferation of dub specials baring selectors’ names as a “gimmick”.

Rodigan has been in the news lately following the release of his book My Life In Reggae. You can watch the video here:

https://www.reggaeville.com/artist-deta ... interview/
capullo

Re: Lloydie Coxsone disses David Rodigan

Postby Chaz » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:57 am

From Rodigan's Facebook.

"You may or may not be aware of a recent attack on myself and the lies and falsehoods so I'm actually bothering to respond to Lloyd Coxsone's video rant...

“Do not give credibility and the impression of truth to lies & misinformation by leaving it unchallenged. Speak out!” GUSSIE CLARKE

"There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice but there must never be a time when we fail to protest" ELIC WIESEL

We all know that a lie travels half way around the world before the truth has got its boots on and one of Dennis Brown's best songs was… "What About The Half" (that's never been told)... So with that in mind I have this to say in response to Lloyd Coxsone's video.

Traditional Reggae music has always stood up against injustice, against the downtrodden, against tyranny.

There's nothing worse than injustice, nothing worse than being falsely accused of doing or saying something that you never said or did.

I will not enter into a long diatribe about Lloyd Coxsone's video rant against me. Suffice to say that it was vicious, vindictive and worst of all… it was laced with untruths and falsehoods. I'm not going through them all but I will point to just one of them. The Godfather lie.

The real bone of contention seems to revolve around me apparently saying that l am The Godfather of Reggae.

I challenge Lloyd Coxsone to prove that I ever said that. Prove it by showing the video footage, prove it by showing the press interview when I said that... prove it.

I am powerless over what a radio or television presenter or journalist says about me, whether it's a term of praise or an expression of disapproval.

But I am NOT powerless over my own mouth and what comes out of it. I have never said that I am The Godfather of Reggae neither have I said that I'm the King of Reggae neither have I ever claimed to have 'bust a reggae artist' because I would never be so arrogant and presumptuous.

Now let's us return to the music and the message. And the message is LOVE

I have no further comment on this matter."

David Rodigan.
Chaz

Postby capullo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:47 pm

huge discussion going on on david rodigan's facebook site...
capullo

Postby Peacemakeya » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:34 pm

some bitter soundman frustrated because tide go up and tide go down & in this iwah the anti-cultural tide don't favour vintage roots so someone got to take the blame and they reduce it to small-minded racial stupitness

I could eat a bowl of alphabet soup and SH*T a better argument than that

These things & more been prophesied and must come to pass:

Late 1970's - a set of feisty Rasta youth corner Yabby You in the ghetto & confront him with implied threats of violence: "Yabby You wha da mon agwan wit? Pure disrespect of His Imperial Majesty ... Ya nah see-it ... Bob Marley fill football stadium roun dis wurld ... reggae gone clear ... Jamaica gone clear ... Wi goin pon top now."

And Yabby replied: "Nah so yute ... wi still a cursed people ... mosh down inna di middle passage & grind thru 400 year of slavery ... and now in these times we grind between the hypocrite churches and the foolish rasta confusion ... what hope do the yute of tomorrow have and great tribulations still to come, but fear not for when these things come to pass - look up - rejoice - for our redemption draweth near" ..... The yutes were left speechless and they slinked away .......... (a next time they take knife to Yabby & couldn't cut him - but that's another story)

True words Yabby spoke to the yutes. Reggae & Jamaica nah gone clear. Today Jamaica has the 4th highest murder rate on the planet (amongst non-declared war zones) & on an island of only 2 3/4 million population there are 5000 missing children.

There is only one way to settle this:

L. Coxsone vs. Rodigan inna Sound Clash ... Clash it till sunrise & let the people decide
Peacemakeya

Postby DJ Conscious » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:06 pm

"David rob and gone"

Well sometimes you need to take a look in your own back yard.
One infamous example is Good Old Days, Ras Midas & Jack Ruby the victims.
Also, UK sound systems have received a Jamaican accreditation awarded to Jah Shaka for his sound system works.
Sour grapes?
https://www.facebook.com/jahshakamusic/ ... 506314250/
DJ Conscious

Postby DJ Conscious » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:14 pm

Whoops, it was Harry J, NOT Jack Ruby, my mistake, apologies.
DJ Conscious

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:54 am

I listened carefully to Lloyd Coxsone's interview and if you can see past the anger, he raises a lot of important issues. No, David Rodigan didn't say he was the Godfather of UK reggae in the BBC interview but the fact he has been recognised when so many people who have spent decades in the business have not, will naturally make some people angry. Jah Shaka for example deserves a knighthood!

The decline of reggae music in JA and the pressing plants is a sad state of affairs for many reggae lovers but times have moved on. Yes David Rodigan gets specials made promoting himself and not the artist but so do dozens of sound systems from around the world. A "special" nowadays is very different to a dubplate back in my day.

I was surprised that Coxsone drew the race card in repeatedly calling Rodigan "the white bwoy" not only because David Rodigan is a middle aged man but because Coxsone has often talked about reggae being an inclusive music and both black and white people attending his dances.

One important disctinction to make is the role of a sound system vs the role of a radio DJ. Yes, Coxsone played in numerous dances over the decades, and produced some outstanding reggae music, but Rodigan reached a wider audience in his time at Radio London, Capital and Kiss. I listended to Rodigan (and Tony Williams) for many many years and gained much of my knowledge and appreciation of the music through him. I also went to Gossips in the West End many times to hear him.

It may sound strange coming from me but I have to be honest; apart from a few black radio DJs in the UK such as Daddy Ernie, most of them are completely unprofessional. We counted one of them pulling up the same tune 13 times the other day and it was just an ordinary song. They also have no intention of sharing their knowledge of the music (where they have any). They think that knowledge is power and are out to promote themselves. It's exactly this siloed mentality which has caused so much damage to the reggae industry.

We as black people have to start appreciating our own assets and talents and recognise our own heroes and stop blaming everything on the white man (or should I say white bwoy? :evil: ). The MOBOs presented an opportunity to do this when they recognised hardworking artists like Peter Hunningale in the early days but now they seem to have turned their noses up at reggae music.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:38 pm

I've seen this video and also a number of discussions about it on facebook though I haven't followed the discussion on Rodigan's page as I grew tired of reading a lot of the venomous stuff on other people's pages. I can understand why Lloyd Coxsone feels hard done by in a way but his sound has slipped well down the pecking order from its glory days of the 70s and 80s so I'm not sure what he expects to happen nowadays in terms of recognition. I don't know the full story but it seems that at some point in the 80s Lloyd himself took a step back from the sound and let others take over the running of it which brought about a whole heap of changes and it never regained its reputation once he took control again years later.

Of course Rodigan is a radio DJ not a soundman and even though he's been playing out on a regular basis for years and years I don't think he'd ever claim to be a soundman. The thing I find sad about this argument is the way so many people i've seen on facebook have adopted polarised attitudes to the affair. Either Rodigan's a white boy who's done nothing for reggae and made a fortune or else Coxsone's a jealous badminded person etc. I also saw comments from some "shaka ites" who aren't old enough to know how Coxsone dominated the UK sound system scene for years and years, comments running down Coxsone while praising Shaka, which just showed their ignorance and lack of history. Both Coxsone and Rodigan have made a huge contribution to the promotion of this music, in their own way.
Reggaemusicstore

Postby monkeystyle » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:57 pm

Rodigans response was kind of disappointing, he completely ignored the essence of what Coxone is saying.

I think Coxone is wrong to aim his argument at DR personally, but he does have some valid points in what he says otherwise.
monkeystyle

Postby Ranking Glasses » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Very true. Do you think this is an elaborate build up to a clash?
Ranking Glasses

Postby Anbessa » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:41 pm

I have to say I find this "clash" quite fascinating. The debate over the cultural appropriation of black music is a very complex issue, and I also found Mr Rodigan's response very disappointing from that point of view. I understand he must have felt hurt by the rant, but there was a good opportunity to discuss the issue. And hear how he feels about it. Because of course he played a great and - I truly believe - sincere role in promoting this music and its artists over the years, but I also believe he simply could never have played that role, if he hadn't been who he is, a white man. And I don't believe that acknowledging it, instead of simply brushing away Lloyd Coxsone's feelings about it, would have hurt his image at all.
As a white man implicated in reggae music myself - although on a tiny scale - it's a question I've been thinking about a lot all over. I don't have any definitive answer to it, but I don't think we can/should escape it. And it's a hard one, because not being able to see a privilege is a part of that privilege.

And thank you for your interesting inputs in this discussion.
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa

Postby Dubba » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:48 pm

I can see both sides of the argument here and have utmost respect for both protagonists. Lloydie's stance is very reminiscent to some of the other legends of the industry who in their later years have felt a deep sense of inequality and injustice in terms of how their efforts and contribution have been recognised and rewarded beyond the grassroots audience. Other figures who come to mind and have demonstrated similar behaviour include Burning Spear, Alton Ellis and to a lesser extent Bunny Wailer. I can see and understand the frustration that all these legendary artists have when they feel that their efforts haven't been recognised and rewarded as they should be. On this occasion I do feel Lloydie has let himself down. I have heard Rodigan pay homage to Lloydie at numerous clashes where he has spoken about him taking him under his wing in the early days and basically schooling him on "sound system" culture. Rodigan should have taken the moral high ground and not responded to it. :|
Dubba

Postby Peacemakeya » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:29 pm

African Proverb

The wise mortal never knows all; Only fools know everything

'Life' Bob Andy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6ccmBn4_c

reggaematic acrobatic lift up luvacratic
Peacemakeya

Postby mikus » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:14 pm

Ranking Glasses wrote:We as black people have to start appreciating our own assets and talents and recognise our own heroes and stop blaming everything on the white man (or should I say white bwoy? :evil: ). The MOBOs presented an opportunity to do this when they recognised hardworking artists like Peter Hunningale in the early days but now they seem to have turned their noses up at reggae music.

Joey Jays show on Kiss was important for me, and so I guess for others too.
Rodigan does have that UK radio chat down...
There might be a parallel here with Westwood....
I'm sure there must be other potential black presenters who could've been brought through by legal radio if there was a will, but definitely in the case of Rodigan he has the radio chat skills which comes naturally to some and most will never have.

Vibes fm has some big personalities like Commander B and Mr Mighty but I can't really imagine them doing a radio 2 show, though who knows if they had the chance....
mikus

Return to General discussion