Records Store Day 2017

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Records Store Day 2017

Postby Donovan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:27 am

I hope that what is being released is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Congos-Heart-of-the-Congos-ORIGINAL-Jamaica-Pressing-Painted-Black-Art-/112285580665?hash=item1a24bdfd79:g:R-8AAOSw2xRYhFBN

Very first limited Black Art run that Scratch painted yellow streaks on the cover. Pre-Go Feet issue. The most stripped down mix. I need to pull out the issue of the Beat from 94 that outlines all the different mixes, but this is mix #1 and has never been reissued before.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby Donovan » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:42 am

jay-b wrote:I've got the original Black Art JA Congos mix (LP 4049 if memory services me correctly) - but would be happy to buy again if taken from the original tapes - which raises the question does anyone know?

Do you mean to say you have the ACTUAL Black Art LP? With the hand painted yellow stripes? Or do you have the digital files that I'm sure float around.

As for coming from the master tapes, since it is VP issuing this, I highly doubt it.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby jah_vaults » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:35 am

jb welda wrote:The go feet and the b&f mixes vary quite a bit, not just editing but also effects etc. Also, I swear someone, possibly VP, has issued what they called the "original mix" before and it did seem a lot different than the previous two issues, exactly as you say, more stripped down versions.

This has always been a big mess so excuse me if I am interpreting it incorrectly but this has always been one of my favorite reggae LPs so I was interested in getting the versions straight. At one point I got totally bored trying to get it correct and I could well still be confused.

Totally off that subject and to the issue of prices, I think it is completely ridiculous to pay ten pounds each for 7" records in box sets. But they are relying on the collectors market (is there really much value in reissue vinyl, as far as collectors are concerned?) and the currency of vinyl at the moment. Personally I will not be buying any of this stuff at those prices though the yabby you set is very tempting as are the Studio 1 releases, but at those prices I can survive without them.

one love

jb

When ringing record shops i was told by one shop it is illegal for shops to disclose what releases they have for record store day until the date of releases when i was was trying to track down few items. Some shops said they already had record store day items shipped to them but cant sell them until the day. Another shop did say their shop seem to have really only ordered what they think they can sell in their shop. They will not reserve items.

And when i did manage to track down the Various Artists: House of Joy - House Of Joy 15 seven inch box set the retailer said they will be selling it for £180.00. The same shop quoted £40.00 for the Various Artists: Soul Jazz Records Present (1) - STUDIO ONE Hi-Fi Special 7" Collectors Box Set. So very much seems like they will be charging whatever they want for certain items. So the £150.00 price maybe just an estimate.

Their also this being released for record store day Soul Jazz Records Presents Down Beat Special – Limited Edition Studio One 7” Box Set. View the pic

https://soulbrother.com/wp-content/uplo ... jpg?x60913

Studio one fans in for a treat then on RSD
CLICK TO BUY Ska, Studio one, Reggae C.D.`s, Records & 7 inch from jah_vaults http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/jah_vaults/m. ... 4340.l2562
jah_vaults

Postby johnnyB » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:16 am

Downbeat Special boxset was last year's RSD release by Soul Jazz.I bought it for the Wailers Simmer Down while the rest is mostly trite.I think for RSD labels should come up with more interesting projects and definitely better prices.
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby yms » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:13 am

Donovan wrote:I hope that what is being released is this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Congos-Heart-of-the-Congos-ORIGINAL-Jamaica-Pressing-Painted-Black-Art-/112285580665?hash=item1a24bdfd79:g:R-8AAOSw2xRYhFBN

Very first limited Black Art run that Scratch painted yellow streaks on the cover. Pre-Go Feet issue. The most stripped down mix. I need to pull out the issue of the Beat from 94 that outlines all the different mixes, but this is mix #1 and has never been reissued before.

It has seen a reissue, albeit in bootleg form, on CD. I would be very surprised if the VP reissue sounds anywhere near as good as this cd although Kevin Metcalfe does seem to be doing their restoration and mastering so I have my fingers crossed

https://www.discogs.com/Congos-Heart-Of ... se/2469862
yms

Postby Donovan » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:00 am

Anybody score something good? Did a Heart of the Congos (Original Mix) go home with you?
Donovan

Postby Reggie Love » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:47 am

I missed out on getting the Congos set at my local record shop in Bethnal Green by about 10 minutes - I got there about 10.20 and their copies (presumably only 2 or three, had already gone). I then went to Rough Trade in Brick Lane and there was a queue of at least 100 people to get in the shop. I don't have the patience for that, especially without knowing whether I will get anything at the end of it.
Reggie Love

Postby jay-b » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:36 am

Donovan - yes I do have the actual LP - LP4049 on the run out vinyl and the sleeve is the first one with blue stripes - it also has typos on the back in 3 places. It says "RECORDED AT BLACK ART STUDIOS" instead of BLACK ARK. It also credits ORGAN to "Winston Riley" instead of Winston Wright and PIANO to "Keith Stewart" instead of Keith Sterling. However my copy doesn't have the painted yellow stripes over the blue ones - it is in EX+ condition though! Also got the 2nd Black Art copy (KLP 005) which has the black stripes on the front - and if you turn it over you can see the corrections to the misspelled names on the first LP cover - as these are in a different sized font to the rest. While we are at it I also have the congo ashanty label issue - my copy has the same black art matrix number on the run out vinyl and is also KLP005. I'd still be interested in seeing the RSD issue though
jay-b

Postby Mick Sleeper » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:22 am

You can read more about the different mixes of Heart Of The Congos on my Scratch website. Here's how David Katz describes it:

"...The first pressing is very different from the others in that it has a totally different mix; all subsequent pressings use a second, alternate mix. The first pressing with the unique mix appeared in limited number in 1977 on the Jamaican Black Art label. The jacket of this original issue has blue stripes framing the photo on the front, whereas all others have black stripes. The disc's actual label, which is cream-colored with black lettering, lists the album as Heart Of The Congo Man by "The Congoes" (the matrix number is LP 4049). For those who have heard only one mix of this album, the difference between this original mix and all later ones is quite startling. Perhaps the easiest thing to spot in the original mix is the absence of the mooing cow on "Children Crying" and "Ark of the Covenant." The piano is also much higher in the mix throughout, and the presentation of vocals and percussion is different from later versions, particularly on "Open Up The Gate," where some prominent bells can be heard. There is not much delay on the vocals or phasing of the keyboards, and a section of "Congoman" sounds like it has a tape fault or rough edit left in the mix. The total running time of the songs (excluding gaps) is just under 46 minutes. In early 1978, for reasons that are not entirely clear to me at present, Perry pressed the album a second time on his Black Art label, this time with a completely different mix. This pressing would form a kind of blueprint for all subsequent pressings..."

Luckily, I already have a copy of the original LP, but really nice to see this re-released.
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://www.upsetter.net/bass
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby slengteng » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:00 am

Would like to know if the sound quality of the RSD repress is good ?
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:33 am

Picked up Creation Rebel - Starship Africa yesterday. Dub done differently!
Reggie Love

Postby jay-b » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:55 pm

Starship Africa - thats a great LP - always loved it. Initially the longer tracks threw me but they really grow on you!
jay-b

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:20 am

Yes, Jay B, it is really growing on me after four or five listens. At times, when the sound is mangled or is being run backwards, it brings back distant memories of listening to music under the influence of acid! It is also quite hypnotic. Looking forward to giving it a few spins with headphones - rather than as a soundtrack to working from home!
It's also got me digging in my collection for more On U Sound to blast in the area.
Reggie Love

Postby daniel » Tue May 02, 2017 2:09 am

Did anyone pick up the Yabby You set?

I was wondering if the "unreleased" mixes of Jah Vengeance and Stop your Quarrelling are the same versions as the ones on deeper roots part two, or if they are different.
daniel

Previous

Return to General discussion