Channel One digital tunes

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Channel One digital tunes

Postby slengteng » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:34 pm

I've read somewhere (but can't remember the source) that after the digital explosion in 1985, the Hookim bros only recorded two digital tunes then left JA. I am wondering what the tunes are. Any infos ?
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Re: Channel One digital tunes

Postby finbar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:52 pm

There were two tunes that use sequencers and Simmons (electronic) drums from about the same time as Sleng Teng if that's what you mean by "digital".

One was Sugar Minott's "Know It Like We", I believe that the other was a Wailing Souls tune called "Racketeers". Both were released out of New York on coloured vinyl.

But the Hoo Kim brothers didn't leave Jamaica afterwards; Jo Jo was already established in New York, and Ernest and Kenneth have remained in Jamaica. The fourth brother, Paulie, was murdered in 1977.
finbar

Postby slengteng » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:18 pm

Thanks a lot finbar for your answer.

Well, I read "digital" in the article, so I guess it must be that kind of riddim :wink:

About "leaving JA", I first wrote stop producing (which is what I remember from the article I read), but changed before posting the topic. So, did they stop producing or am I wrong ?
slengteng

Postby finbar » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:46 pm

slengteng wrote:Thanks a lot finbar for your answer.

Well, I read "digital" in the article, so I guess it must be that kind of riddim :wink:

About "leaving JA", I first wrote stop producing (which is what I remember from the article I read), but changed before posting the topic. So, did they stop producing or am I wrong ?

They weren't the absolute last tunes they released, but the studio had pretty much slowed down to a crawl by that point. Kenneth was a house producer in the early 80's, but Jo Jo by then was already busy running the label in New York. He also had a pressing plant, so he pressed a lot of vinyl for others as well as himself. That's were I got promo copies of the two afore-mentioned tunes. Ernest was basically focused on the jukebox business side of things. Jo Jo said that the excitement and vibes diminished a lot after Paulie was murdered, and their sound system was decommissioned.
finbar

Postby slengteng » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:00 pm

OK, thanks 8)

I found the Sugar Minott's one on YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqo8FMTF1fo.
Interesting sound !

Would like to listen to the Wailing Souls' track.
slengteng

Return to General discussion