Joe Higgs - Berkley 1981

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Joe Higgs - Berkley 1981

Postby richmrpa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:48 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5jCQ8PsaKE

Joe Higgs brings tears to my eyes. Anywhere I can hear the full concert this is taken from? (Or any other full Joe Higgs shows)

Thanks
Love to all
Rich
richmrpa

Re: Joe Higgs - Berkley 1981

Postby jb welda » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:54 pm

Sorry can't help with a full recording, but I recall that show very well, Berkeley Keystone on University Avenue, one of my first reggae shows here in the states, a wonderful evening. I think it was broadcast on the college station KALX, so there could well be a full recording around somewhere. I think I have a joe higgs show or two in my archives, will look around to see and check back later. Won't be able to put it up anywhere but can supply via cd if I have something,

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jb welda » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:01 am

Looked around quickly and can't find this exact show but what I do have is a rehearsal set from 84 in Los Angeles, in very nice sound quality. PM if you would like an MP3 or WAV copy, don't know how to get it anywhere except on CD. If anyone has somewhere for me to upload the MP3 without too much hassle let me know.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby edgar » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:40 pm

you can find the whole set on soulseek (and also some earlier Jamaican live sets with the wailers.. I guess from the late 70s) I think it´s one of those roger steffens recordings.

Joe Higgs
Keystone Theater
Berkeley, California
March 20, 1981

Disc 1 [46:31]
==============================================
1. Devotion [7:46]
2. Dear Mother [4:30]
3. Come On Home [4:55]
4. Gold Or Silver [6:27]
5. The World Is Upside Down [22:50]

Disc 2 [46:47]
==============================================
1. Creation [9:30]
2. The Great Booga Wooga [6:07]
3. Stepping Razor [5:23]
4. Wake Up And Live [13:24]
5. Encore [1:48]
6. Talk To That Man// [10:41]
edgar

Postby jb welda » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:24 am

A couple things: there was no "keystone theatre", it was actually called the Keystone Berkeley, part of the Keystone family of clubs: the original Keystone in Palo Alto, The Stone in San Francisco and the Keystone Berkeley. Acts usually performed at all three over a weekend, Thurs Fri Saturday nights, sometimes Fri Sat Sunday instead. Also I have gone through Rojahs collection many times and in fact helped him digitize most of his cassette tapes onto CD back in the mid nineties and I don't think this tape was there...otherwise I would have copied it I think. Like I said, I believe the show was broadcast on the university station, many from that venue and the Ashkenez as well as the Zellerback Auditorium on the UCBerzerkley campus were broadcast live on the station, KALX. So I think the source of the recording could be either the radio station itself (at one time they had a huge archive of live recordings from the time) or any random listener who cranked up the cassette deck. The signal from the station was typically excellent stereo, and plenty strong in the area so rarely any fade or noise, but from listening to the original clip posted here, sounded to me like maybe these were from the stations archive, because the sound was so strong and clear. At any rate, a great night there as was usually the case there and at the Stone in SF, two of my favorite venues in the area for vibes, great sound systems and just great music most nights.

one love
jb
jb welda

Return to General discussion