Franco Rosso (director of "Babylon" film) 1942-2016

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Franco Rosso (director of "Babylon" film) 1942-2016

Postby John Eden » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:13 pm

Unfortunately Franco has passed away. As well as Babylon he was involved with a few British black and reggae films which might be of interest to people.

A fine legacy which I have tried to capture here:

http://www.uncarved.org/babylon/archives/467
John Eden

Re: Franco Rosso (director of "Babylon" film) 1942-2016

Postby KingSimeonSound » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:55 pm

More sad news.

Much appreciation for page/link, a good read of further works.
https://www.facebook.com/KingSimeonSound
https://soundcloud.com/king-simeon
KingSimeonSound

Postby Peacemakeya » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:16 pm

no disrespect to the dead - yet the issues remain for wi the living to deal with ... Yabby You & many of the reggae pioneers still getting thieved to this day ... Not to put it onto Franco Rosso, who thought he was licensing Yabby's tracks in good faith from a 3rd party ... in Yabby's situation, the soundtrack to 'Babylon' sold big on CBS/Chrysalis yet to this day Yabby's surviving family living nah easy ... so to revisit the topic from the year 2000

Re: Yabby You African Queen
Postby Peacemakeya » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:04 pm
There are no credits on 'Aftican Queen' because it was a pirate release & Yabby was particularly indignant about it ...

'Clappers' is a fitting name for a pirate label
- 'To Clapp' something in street vernacular is: to thief or rip-off
- 'The Clapp' in street vernacular is the sexually transmitted
disease gonorrhea

Edgar asks about ... Yabby in Film

This from the first reggae news group called 'rec.music.reggae' (circa 2000)

Newsgroups: rec.music.reggae

Yabby You makes the point that he never licenced, nor
sub-licenced through other parties, his song "Deliver Me"
to the producers of the movie "Babylon." No one ever
asked his permission to use his work nor was he ever
paid a licencing fee or any royalites. Yabby You also
makes the point that he does not approve of the violent theme
of this "Babylon" movie; That being the solution to racial
conflict is to take the offensive and stick a screwdriver into
someones belly.

A number of years ago Yabby You asked me to act for him
in this matter. I wrote letters to CBS (UK) and Chrysalis Records
who also released the sountrack to the movie. None of them had
the decency to reply.
--
Alex
-----------------------------
Re: [Film] Babylon - interview with the director
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000

Whilst I sympathise about the licensing issues (regretably all too common in reggae) I'm kind of not in agreement about the points about the violence in the film.

I don't think it portrays sticking a screwdriver in someone as a _solution_ to racial violence, but as a product of someone being in a really oppressive situation and reacting to that. In fact the film shows that action as counterproductive because the violence then continues to escalate...

British society was riddled with violence, tension and racism in the 80s and I think that comes across in the film. As the interview points out, it's more about raising the issue when people are trying to deny it than offering solutions (which are inevitably pretty complex, IMHO)

Having said that Jah Shaka wasn't too happy about the way that soundclashes were portrayed as being confrontational either - I think he mentions this in the interview at the Jah Warrior site.

Thanks for your comments - I found them very interesting
John Eden
--------------------------
Re: [Film] Babylon - interview with the director
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000

Yabby You would have the same opinion as Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr. and Jesus on the matter.

Hate does not conquer hate. Love Conquers hate. Rolling Thunder - the great Native Indian medicine man from Nevada, USA says this: "We do good for good; We don't do good for bad or bad for good; We do good for good."
--
Alex
Peacemakeya

Postby yms » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:50 pm

Thread hijacked there, jesus. Peacemaker do something useful and reissue the Yabby You meets Tommy McCook CD.

RIP. Babylon is a very special film.
yms

Postby edgar » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:45 pm

Actually I have that clappers records and there are credits to yabby you all over the label and also on the back of the sleeve.
edgar

Postby Peacemakeya » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:44 pm

Thread hijacked there

yes there has been a ‘hijack’ of epic proportions – depend how u see it or not, but it wasn’t this topic that was hijacked … reggae was originally a message music so if them hostile to them who continue the message trodition … who hijack reggae?

Beyond they pirate his music, Yabby did not approve the theme of the Babylon film. The concluding scene supports the mentality that the solution to racial antagonisms is to ambush your adversary on their doorstep and juk them in the belly with a screwdriver. That jihadist mentality certainly has led to a better world hasn’t it?

Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that. Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence, and toughness multiplies toughness in a descending spiral of destruction. - Martin Luther King Jr

jesus. Peacemaker do something useful and reissue the Yabby You meets Tommy McCook CD.

Everthemore still thanks for your continued support of Yabby’s legacy. Yabby’s estate is currently coordinating with a label for the release of a Studio1 project that has yet to see the light of day so hopefully we will see it’s release while the Sun still rises in the East.

Rarely do we find men willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think. – Martin Luther King Jr.
Peacemakeya

Postby John Eden » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:23 am

Peacemakeya wrote:, Yabby did not approve the theme of the Babylon film. The concluding scene supports the mentality that the solution to racial antagonisms is to ambush your adversary on their doorstep and juk them in the belly with a screwdriver. That jihadist mentality certainly has led to a better world hasn’t it

Except it doesn't do that at all. As I explained 16 years ago in the bit you quote above.
John Eden

Postby John Eden » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:27 pm

There is also an obituary over the Guardian by Martin Stellman who worked on the film with Franco:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/j ... are_btn_tw

And one at the always great Transpontine blog too with more of a south London focus:
http://transpont.blogspot.co.uk/2016/12 ... bylon.html
John Eden

Postby Inyaki » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:53 pm

RIP Franco Rosso

I got the Babylon soundtrack in 81, it was released in Spain. I finally had a chance to watch the film in the 90s in London.
It always baffled me somehow that the two most influential reggae films for my generation, Rockers and Babylon, were directed by a greek ( Ted Bafaloukos ) and an italian. Two directors that came from countries without a significant reggae background compared to the usual JA/USA?Canada/UK diaspora.
Yeah I know Franco Rosso came very young (his accent is pure London too) but still.

Babylon is broadcast regularly on a TV channel, I must have watched it 20 times (at least partly) and to me is a good film. Pretty well acted, convincing characters, gritty, funny....
Inyaki

Postby morevest » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:40 am

Love this film. Watched it many times, last time at The Duke in Deptford (where many of the scenes in the film were shot) with the sound fed through the club speakers. Very nice experience.

R.I.P. Franco Rosso
morevest

Postby yd international » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:42 am

I watched Babylon many many years after listening to and collecting reggae (shame on me). Great film and I assume really captured the black people's experience in London at the time. What amazed me most about it was how very depressing it was to watch, I can't recall any real moments of joy during the film. Would love to watch it again some time.
RIP Franco Rosso
yd international

Postby Inyaki » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:50 am

There is some humour and funny scenes too ( Beefy's dog, his destruction of rivals property, the wedding engagement dance, etc....) ....as is always the case on good UK gritty dramas. Victor Romero Evans is great and Mel Smith as the racist boss too.
Inyaki

Return to General discussion