STUDIO ONE TO REISSUE CATALOGUE VIA YEP ROC MUSIC GROUP

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: STUDIO ONE TO REISSUE CATALOGUE VIA YEP ROC MUSIC GROUP

Postby daniel » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:12 pm

After the Skatalites set, the next release is this box set of 15 7" singles for Record Store Day at the end of April, packaged with a fold-out poster and keyring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOQEO1r8Jsw

It's pricey though - it looks like it's selling at around 140-150 US dollars in the US, and even more in the UK at around 140-150 pounds.

No definitive word on which titles are included in the release yet though.
daniel

Postby Jonathan » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:34 am

Which Heartbeat set is being re-issued in modified form? Couldn't find any info and wasn't clear from above (unless I missed something.)
When you point your finger at someone else, there are three fingers pointing back at you. (Jamaican Proverb)
Jonathan

Postby daniel » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:29 am

Jonathan wrote:Which Heartbeat set is being re-issued in modified form? Couldn't find any info and wasn't clear from above (unless I missed something.)

Jonathan, it's the "Foundation Ska" set. Here is the Heartbeat records release from 1997:

https://www.discogs.com/Skatalites-Foun ... ase/564853

and here is the reissued version on Studio One/Yep Roc:

http://studio-one.11spot.com/the-skatal ... n-ska.html

It's modified in that six of the tracks on the heartbeat issue were Treasure Isle recordings (on the basis that it was a Skatalites Compilation and the compilers wanted to put together the strongest Skatalites set they could) whereas the new release replaces these six tracks with Studio One recordings (on the basis that it is purely a Skatalites at Studio One set now).

Whatever the differences, both sets are very strong, and the heartbeat is 20 years old now - to put that into perspective a lot of the early blood and fire and pressure sounds releases were reissues of music released 20 years earlier.

I note that this is one of the recognisable "name" releases in the series that appear to alternate with less-obvious releases. Hopefully they do well enough with the recognisable releases to continue!
daniel

Postby Jonathan » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:13 am

Having a little trouble understanding what those six "hard to find" tracks are here... From the tracklist it looks like everything was either on the Heartbeat set of the same name or other Heartbeat sets. Of course those other sets may be out of print now, so maybe that's what they're getting it at here, but I don't really see anything "new." Makes sense, though, I suppose for someone who already doesn't have a handful of the old Heartbeat Skatalites releases.

I think I was assuming that this was the usual Trojan approach of 2000 - 2012 or thereabouts where every set was 90% of stuff you already had and 10% of stuff that hadn't been released (but that you really wanted)... and - you shook your head - and then handed over your $15.95 for those 5 tracks or whatever.
When you point your finger at someone else, there are three fingers pointing back at you. (Jamaican Proverb)
Jonathan

Postby 99thfloor » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Here are the changes (Heartbeat -> Yep Roc):

Disc One:
4. "Alley Pang" -> "Freedom Sounds"
7. "Eastern Standard Time" -> "Ska Ba"
14. "Don D Lion" -> "Ball of Fire"

Disc Two:
2. "Occupation" -> "Magic Star"
8. "Woman A Come" -> "When I First Heard Ska" (a.k.a. "Dance The Ska")
12. "Silver Dollar" (Original Version) -> "Nimble Foot Ska"

What is "hard-to-find" is subjective, for some it could mean that the tracks are not currently in print anywhere (Heartbeat are long out of business). Just like "previously unavailable on CD" can mean that a tracks has been on dozens of CDs, but none of them are in print at that moment. I don't think anyone has suggested there is anything "new" here. I guess they even had to make these changes, since they are dealing stricty with Studio One and wouldn't have a license for the other tracks. Which begs the question why they didn't create their own compilation (or maybe something based around the Ska Authentic's or some other original album), wouldn't that have been more appealing and in line with their other releases than recycling a 20 year old compilation?
99thfloor

Postby markp » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:18 pm

99thfloor wrote: Which begs the question why they didn't create their own compilation (or maybe something based around the Ska Authentic's or some other original album), wouldn't that have been more appealing and in line with their other releases than recycling a 20 year old compilation?

Maybe because Chris Wilson had a hand in both?
markp

Postby 99thfloor » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:45 pm

markp wrote:Maybe because Chris Wilson had a hand in both?

Yes, that is of course the connection and the reason why this, his own configuration, was considered in the first place, but my point was if Foundation Ska really is such an iconic album (good as it is) that it is a selling point in itself to reissue that specific compilation, even though they have to change it around? Wouldn't it have been better, marketing-wise, to create new compilation? But of course then people would complain that they are the same tracks that have been compiled over and over, this is at least an honest presentation in that respect.
99thfloor

Postby markp » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:13 am

yes I agree. Anyway so far I have bought and enjoyed the "Money Maker" release. We see them sitting on the pot of gold and hope for the best. I would like a cd of "Im flash forward" myself. :D
markp

Postby ReggaeFire » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:25 am

99thfloor wrote: What is "hard-to-find" is subjective, for some it could mean that the tracks are not currently in print anywhere (Heartbeat are long out of business).

I know we've been over this before, but technically Heartbeat is still going and most of their releases are available for purchase digitially, which made me curious about their Foundation Ska set, so I checked and it appears that whoever is in charge of Heartbeat is aware and removed their set from sale.
ReggaeFire

Postby markp » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:18 pm

next chapter in the heartbeat re-issue program: Version Dread :(
markp

Postby yms » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:33 pm

Jesus...... Superb set but come on.....

Yawn.
yms

Postby j j » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:43 am

I thought I read that Yep Roc's plan was to reissue all Studio One albums with their original mixes & original tracks?
This seems to have been happening up until the Freddy McKay Picture On The Wall which has the extra tracks.
Maybe this means that the sales of the first Yep Roc reissues didn't sell as well as expected & now they have involved Chris Wilson/Heartbeat & added extra's??
Is the goal of reissuing all the SO albums still something that is going to happen?
I've got nothing against bonus material as long as it 'fits' in with the original tracks.

So far I've only got the Money Maker comp & the McKay should be reaching me shortly.
j j

Postby soul rebel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:42 am

Well, for my money, "Foundation Ska" is still the best ska compilation ever, alongside the "Top Sounds from Top Deck" series.
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Postby soul rebel » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:44 am

And as far as "original albums with original tracklists", I think it would be better to enhance the tracklists with some hard-to-find singles.
https://soundcloud.com/millionvibes
soul rebel

Previous

Return to General discussion