reggae mono to stereo when?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

reggae mono to stereo when?

Postby KING NEWBIE » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:35 pm

I would like to know around what year did Jamaica fully adopted stereo mixing?
KING NEWBIE

Re: reggae mono to stereo when?

Postby KING NEWBIE » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:44 pm

no one knows, really?
KING NEWBIE

Postby jb welda » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:00 pm

I would think there is no firm timeline or date for something like that. it would be up to producers not "Jamaica" as a whole. whether it says "stereo" on the record or not, much output was still basically two track mono (pretty much the same thing in both tracks) even up to today. but I would think the advent of digital recording mid to late 80s might have been when most producers at least used stereo mixes even if the signal were not true stereo with lots of separation. dub music might have been a forerunner of the acceptance of having signal bounce from one speaker to the other, to highlight the effects of the dub mix, but I am just guessing here.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Tomcat » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:15 pm

1972 Big Youth's Screaming Target is a good early example, with hard panning left and right, like Beatles records.

Like JB said though, it is really a creative choice of the producer, alongside the technology they have to play with. There probably wasn't a great push for stereo as most people would hear their tunes played on soundsystems where mono is the ruler.
Tomcat

Postby KING NEWBIE » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:05 pm

so do you do your reggae listening MONO or STEREO?

most records don´t hav any info regarding this
KING NEWBIE

Postby StepDubStep » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:27 am

A lot of soundsystem play in Mono. I believe because it allows for more focus and control over the frequency ranges and their separation than on venue coverage and balance. A small price to pay imho. I don't feel we loose much without the panning tricks even in Dub reggae. Imho of course.
Me no skin teeth and me no play!
StepDubStep

Return to General discussion