Dub Vendor monthly magazines

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Dub Vendor monthly magazines

Postby Rockers Galore » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:20 am

A bit of a long shot but I'm trying to get hold of copies of the Dub Vendor monthly magazines listed below.

Jun 1999
Dec 1999
Apr 2000
Jun 2002
Jul 2002
Sep 2002
Nov 2003

I'm trying to gather information on UK reggae labels with a view to putting something together similar to the Tapir website. I've taken 1999 / 2000 as a starting point and am currently putting together discographies for as many non JA labels as I can. I realise much of the information is out there on the web already but many of the listings on Discogs for example are incomplete and many labels are missing altogether.

Still work in progress but the more I get into it the more I realise what a massive project this is turning into. However on the plus side it's turning up some great records I missed out on first time round so I'm going to stick at it!

If any body has the issues listed above gathering dust (or any more from the 90s) I’d be only too pleased to take them off your hands. Happy to pay for them of course, or failing that, maybe I could sort out scanning the pages I need and posting them straight back. Please send me a PM.

Any help much appreciated! :D

PS. There have been a load on sale on eBay for a while now but I have all of those.
Rockers Galore

Re: Dub Vendor monthly magazines

Postby Ringo » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:26 pm

Probably, I've got boxes of them in the loft. I can't remember when they started, it was A4 sheets stapled together flat before the folded booklet, I seem to remember.

I won't part with them but should be able to sort out photocopies/scans of those.
Purple Radio - Every other Wednesday 6:30 - 8pm http://www.purple-radio.co.uk

Archive of old shows http://www.crytough.com/purple.html
Ringo

Postby Rockers Galore » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:55 pm

That would be great - I'll send you a PM and maybe we can sort something out.
The more info I can get hold of the better really.
Thanks!
Rockers Galore

Postby dj745 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:53 pm

I've got all of the lists from around 1992 until they stopped all archived away. May be a struggle to scan them all due to lack of time but happy to help with any individual issues you are stuck with.

Have you considered contacting Lol at DV who used to compile these listings?
dj745

Postby Rockers Galore » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:07 am

Thanks DJ745 - I'll send you a PM with a few more details.

I did contact Dub Vendor about it a year or so ago but never heard anything back. Now I'm a bit further into it I'll contact them again and see if they can supply me with the missing issues. The more info I can get the more complete the discographies will be!
Rockers Galore

Postby SteveT » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:38 am

If anyone can't find their copies or you're still missing some I've got copies I've got mid 1999 onwards. I can scan ones you can't find.
SteveT

Postby Inyaki » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:29 pm

I threw away about 50 of them last year....from 85 to 99 :!:
June 99 is the one with Pablo on the cover (he just passed away). I kept that one.
Inyaki

Postby Rockers Galore » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:56 pm

SteveT wrote:If anyone can't find their copies or you're still missing some I've got copies I've got mid 1999 onwards. I can scan ones you can't find.

Great cheers SteveT, a couple of people are having a look for me but I'll get back to you if I need them. In the meantime don't throw them away!
Rockers Galore

Postby SteveT » Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:26 am

I would never throw them away, I found them really useful when trying to put my boxes from that period in some sort of order.
SteveT

Postby j j » Sat Apr 11, 2015 4:44 am

I've got a box of them in the cupboard (not sure of the years) so if you have any problems let me know & I can have a look. Probably have them from late 80's until the www took over.

cheers
j j
j j

Postby Rockers Galore » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:48 pm

j j wrote:I've got a box of them in the cupboard (not sure of the years) so if you have any problems let me know & I can have a look. Probably have them from late 80's until the www took over.

Thanks JJ - as above, I'll get back to you in a couple of weeks if I'm still after some info.

At the moment I'm concentrating on finding the months I'm missing from 1999, 2000, 2002 and 2003 (see above). Anything earlier than that will involve too much copying / scanning for someone else to do. Hopefully I can pick up the earlier years if somebody is willing to lend or sell their copies to me.

Basically I'm trying to collate all the info from the new release Bashment pages and the Selectors Choice / Details recommendations. Maybe also the top 50 charts. I think it'd be great to have all this info in one place before it gets lost to the mists of time. Something along the lines of Freddy Fresh's Rap Records or Vince Aletti's Disco Files which has reviews of disco records as they got released week by week. As someone who only started buying reggae in the late 90s the Dub Vendor recommendations were a great way to get me started.
Last edited by Rockers Galore on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rockers Galore

Postby Ringo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:03 pm

I've managed to get the box out of the loft :)

Ringo

Postby Rockers Galore » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:30 pm

Good work Ringo... I hope you find the ones I'm missing :D
Rockers Galore

Postby Ringo » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:20 am

Rockers Galore wrote:A bit of a long shot but I'm trying to get hold of copies of the Dub Vendor monthly magazines listed below.

Jun 1999
Dec 1999
Apr 2000
Jun 2002
Jul 2002
Sep 2002
Nov 2003

Good news, I have all of those. I'll get photocopying :)

Ringo

Postby Rockers Galore » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:11 am

That's great Ringo, thanks very much. Send me a PM with any expenses incurred and I'll make sure you're not out of pocket.
Maybe this project will see the light of day after all :D
Rockers Galore

Next

Return to General discussion