Dubplate Care

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Dubplate Care

Postby I-Grade » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:53 am

Ive been meaning to ask this for a while.

What is the best way to clean acetates?

From a whole top and tail stylee, to just a light cleaning?

Distilled H20 of course but what about a seasoned plate?

Ive noticed a "waxy" whitish sheen on some heavily recycled plates I have lately.

Should I be buffing this off with a cloth or let it ride?

Cant say if it really effect sound of the plate but is this "greasing" my stylus?

Open to any thoughts and reasoning on the subject.

Must be some sort of oxydization process?

Any dubplate scientists out there?

respect,
I-Grade
I-Grade

Re: Dubplate Care

Postby SteveT » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:21 pm

Would be interested on how to clean them properly.

I've noticed a white powdery surface on some old plates which I normally just wipe off with some damp kitchen paper.

The vinyl solution I use for cleaning 45s says its not suitable for `hard ' vinyl
SteveT

Postby kalcidis » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:08 pm

No alcohol on acetates. It destroys the acetate. I use distilled water and brush the grooves with a very soft brush (along the grooves) and then I vacuum it using a vacuum with a (home made) separator for the liquid. Works like a charm. Also when recording a dubplate you can record it with a little distilled water on the record which makes it less noisy (not good for the needle though ... has something to do with the stylus getting lose).

If you want to go this route then the separator could be easily done something like this (ignore the rotating engine part – the important part is from the tube to the vacuum):
kalcidis

Postby MANWEL T » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:29 pm

I have a USA (or JA) dubplate that is leaving brown residue inside the sleeve (cleaned the dubplate with just water and changed paper sleeve to see through plastic one but had the same result). It still looks and sounds great but what's going on?! Is the lacquer melting slowly?!
MANWEL T

Postby edgar » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:56 pm

perhaps tobacco smoke/nicoteen that collected itself on the record during the years is coming off ? (or worse crack or heroin smoke)

Same with old paintings that turn brown due to smoking in a room..
edgar

Postby MANWEL T » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:11 am

edgar wrote:perhaps tobacco smoke/nicoteen that collected itself on the record during the years is coming off ? (or worse crack or heroin smoke)
Same with old paintings that turn brown due to smoking in a room..

Thanks for the reply edgar but I am the only owner of this dubplate and no smoking took place where it was stored for the last 20 years or so - I am thinking maybe the culprit is Malta's humid and hot weather?!
MANWEL T

Postby RB » Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:28 pm

all acetates will degrade no matter what you do. all age differently depending on the plate itself. if you're talking about 70s/80s plates remember there were several diff. mfg'ers back then so just like analog tape all age differently.
clean thoroughly, (distlled water only, use a tiny tiny bit of alcohol in the water if the surface is really grimy), transfer to digital, file away, recut to new acetate.
RB

Return to General discussion