reggae.co.uk

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

reggae.co.uk

Postby BMC » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:03 am

Anyone has experience with ordering from reggae.co.uk? Saw some interesting items, so was wondering if they're reliable. Thanks.
BMC

Re: reggae.co.uk

Postby ephteeay » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:08 pm

good, quick, reliable from my experience !
ephteeay

Postby rise34 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:21 pm

Imo the grading conditions are not accurate, overgraded (EX closer to VG+ ; EX- means VG to VG+...), so dont trust what you read, but what you hear from samples.
I think they grade visually (and A side only).
I had 2 problems for a 7" on my 2 orders but I mail them and everything was sorted out.
rise34

Postby King Shone » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:21 pm

Top a top !!!
@kingshonettr
kingshone@gmail.com
King Shone

Postby Mark T » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:32 am

I've used bought from them before and everything went well.

Not to hijack the thread but has anyone used these guys? http://shmrecords.com/epages/eshop85913 ... Categories
They have a couple of items I am interested in.
Cheers,
Mark T
Mark T

Postby formula » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:36 am

reggae.co.uk is a top seller. if there's a problem, he will refund
formula

Postby kalcidis » Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:52 am

Bought from Reggae.co.uk numerous times. Always been happy with them. Once I got a record that was obviously graded wrong and wrote to him. He sent a refund without any hassle and I even offered to send the record back but he told me to keep it. It's probably my favourite place to shop online.

As noted above though. The grading can be a bit on the generous side at times but as long as you listen to the clips you'll be fine. With the exception of that one time I've never been too disappointed on condition (and I am quite picky). Also be aware that some sound clips sound worse than the record really is. I think he has problems with his ripping set-up because what sometimes can be mistaken for noise from record wear are actually digital artifacts. I had bought Eric Bubble's 12" »Root Of Black People« from him which sounded horrible in the clip, the record that reached me was rather likely unplayed store stock – sounded fantastic.
kalcidis

Postby BMC » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:05 pm

Thanks for the info all! Sounds good.
BMC

Postby Mark T » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:31 pm

Did you order something nice Marc?
I see they had a summer sale on.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby BMC » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:49 pm

Nope, not yet Mark.
BMC

Postby BMC » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:56 pm

Yes Mark, did place an order after all, final day of sales (last sunday). Playing 'm as I type this, so definitely fast! :)

I do understand the grading comments above. Judged the purchases on the soundfiles, but 2 of the records have way worse sounding parts on the record than the parts included in the soundfile. A bit of cleaning might help though as the vinyl looks fine, but still some heavy crackle at points, so probably some dirty grooves there. Anyway, lovely records still. Got myself some long-time wants:

Morwells - Cool Runnings (Bushays LP)
Various Artists - Love Goes (Lord Koos LP)
Fathead - It's Me / Wha Dat (Greensleeves 12")
Delroy Wilson - Got To Get Your Love (Heavy Duty 7")
Ranking Toyan - Too Young (Scandal 7")

Gonna try some cleaning tonight.
BMC

Postby Mark T » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:47 pm

Nice Marc, good luck with the cleaning. try the white glue method, it's the best way to get rid of stubborn dust.

Grading seems to me to be a perennial problem exacerbated by the fact that generally every seller thinks his records are in better condition than they actually are and every buyer (myself included) hopes the records are in better condition than described.
I should expect records to be a little worse than described but I'm usually hoping they are better.
I have found one or two sellers that seem to grade very accurately.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby BMC » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:23 pm

Cleaning surely did help in reducing the crackle on these. Never tried the white glue (wood glue, right?) method Mark, simply have a vinyl cleaning set of a liquid (content not mentioned, but by the smell some kind of alcohol) and a goat-hair brush. Does the trick for easy dirt removing it seems, but can imagine the glue method to be more effective.

As for the grading thing, I think the used scales are quite bizar to begin with. I mean, VG is supposed to mean Very Good. If you talk about musical content and you call something very good, it is clear that it is not just something ordinary, it is ☆very☆ good to you. But when it comes to vinyl quality very good all of a sudden in most cases comes down to 'listen carefully, between the crackle and pop you might hear the tune mentioned on the label'. Odd, I think. I'd suggest the VG should be changed to 'PB', for pretty bad, but not broken. :wink:
BMC

Postby greenisland » Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:42 pm

reggae.co.uk is Andy Downbeat late of Lower Marsh SE1 and is a great seller. only today 'wives and lovers' ~ jackie mittoo was on my doormat when I got in from work in great condition and for a very reasonable price. a record I had wanted for 13 years T
greenisland

Postby Mark T » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:35 am

I wouldn't use wood glue - just cheap white glue. It is very effective.
VG is a bit of a misleading grade, even when you read the the Goldmine standard as used by Discogs:
Generally worth 25 percent of Near Mint value. Many of the defects found in a VG+ record will be more pronounced in a VG disc. Surface noise will be evident upon playing, especially in soft passages and during a song's intro and fade, but will not overpower the music otherwise. Groove wear will start to be noticeable, as with light scratches (deep enough to feel with a fingernail) that will affect the sound. Labels may be marred by writing, or have tape or stickers (or their residue) attached. The same will be true of picture sleeves or LP covers. However, it will not have all of these problems at the same time, only two or three of them. Goldmine price guides with more than one price will list Very Good as the lowest price. This, not the Near Mint price, should be your guide when determining how much a record is worth, as that is the price a dealer will normally pay you for a Near Mint record.

I find you have to get to know different sellers and then go from there.
Mark T
Mark T

Return to General discussion