First Trip To Jamaica

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

First Trip To Jamaica

Postby Hotpie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:47 am

Hello,

I'm planning my first visit to Jamaica. I'm a big fan of Ska & Rocksteady and a bit of roots too. It might be the only trip we can afford in my life so I want to try and immerse myself and my family in the culture and get a good all round taster of the island as well as have a relaxing beach break.

If anyone has any suggestions to enhance my visit it would be much appreciated. I'm going with my girlfriend and 2 year old daughter.

Here are the plans so far:

First few days to acclimatise in Montego Bay at the resort we're booked in for 2 weeks.

Possibly do a boat trip.

Definitely want to go to the rasta village in Mo'bay.

We are booking a 3 day visit to Kingston with Karen from Jamaica Cultural enterprises.

Day 1 - City Orientation, Coronation Market & Craft market followed by a night out for my birthday. Not sure where to go, somewhere lively with music hopefully.

Day 2 - Trench Town Tour, Tuff Gong Studio Tour, Alpha Boys School and some record Shopping.

Day 3 - Bob Marley Museum, 9 Miles Mausoleum and return to Mo' Bay

We will have 6 nights left. Will be wanting to make the most of the all inclusive rum and chicken! Not sure what other trips to do. Possibly Negril or Treasure Beach.

Can anyone make any suggestions for things we should see?

Thanks,

Jack
Here's some ear candy... http://www.mixcloud.com/jacktrend/
Hotpie

Re: First Trip To Jamaica

Postby Anbessa » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:18 pm

If you can be in Kingston on a sunday evening, go to Rae Town. If you love rocksteady (and, let's be honnest, some cheesy 60s soul music), you'll be in heaven.
I've been there quite a few times, and it's always been a great time. Good vibes, great music, a lot of vintage artists hanging around, and everybody singing the classics...
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa

Postby Ranking Glasses » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:16 pm

You'll probably have a great time but be vigilant and careful who you trust.
Ranking Glasses

Postby Hotpie » Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:18 pm

That sounds amazing! - We're scheduled back on the Saturday though. Might have to see how the mood catches us. I'm probably being a little paranoid because my partner and I are both well travelled. But taking our daughter to one of the murder capitals of the world is a little worrying. Thats why I have opted to go with a recommended guide and limited the time in Kingston. Not to mention the free drinks we're missing back on the resort!
Hotpie

Postby johnnyB » Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:30 pm

Spend a couple of days in the Portland parish in the north east part of the island. Authentic and safe it has several interesting places to visit. You'll find it completely different from Mobay.
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby dj745 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:01 pm

Hi there, I took my two year old daughter a few years ago to Kingston and it was fine. You've got to move with the right people. Your kingston itinerary could be changed quite a bit to make better use of your time, pm me if interested possibly with a number if u r uk based.
dj745

Postby Hotpie » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:44 pm

Hi DJ,

Have tried PM'ing you but it didn't work.

What else would you recommend I add in Kingston?

Thanks,

Jack
Hotpie

Postby asher selector » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:20 pm

Biiigggggggggggggggggggg UP ...

And Every SUNDAY NIGHT U have the KINGSTON DUB CLUB Up in Kingston Hills ...

Biiigggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg ...
Reggae Muzik More www.raspectshop.com Irie ...
asher selector

Return to General discussion