will the price of records ever fall or go down?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: will the price of records ever fall or go down?

Postby David » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:40 pm

that is what kingston connexion is doing right now with their 10" or 12" of limited presses of 100 or so. I didnt buy any, because the 30 or 40 dollars they want, is just too high. I wonder whether this will set a new trend?

about six or sevens years ago the japanese companies started to sell 7" for 10 to 15 dollars.....and most of the labels are close to this price right now. Digikiller seems to be the only one doing really rare stuff for lower prices.
David

Postby jah_vaults » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:50 pm

David wrote:that is what kingston connexion is doing right now with their 10" or 12" of limited presses of 100 or so. I didnt buy any, because the 30 or 40 dollars they want, is just too high. I wonder whether this will set a new trend?

about six or sevens years ago the japanese companies started to sell 7" for 10 to 15 dollars.....and most of the labels are close to this price right now. Digikiller seems to be the only one doing really rare stuff for lower prices.

If theses Kingston connexion 10 inches & 12 inches the special carved dubplates or whatever they are being called to sell them at silly the high prices were going to be worth any real high money in the future i think they would have all been sold out instantly by now why not just press them as 7 inches so the buyers who really want to buy can afford them instead of making them priced so high and calling them special carved dubplates . Due to them not being sold out already i think they wont even fetch the prices they were bought for in a few years time like most of the product being released very few will actually have any real value in the future. I wonder what name they will start calling them next.

Don't people agree the product which is sold out quickest and fastest may have a chance of having some or the same value it was purchased for in the near future in the future not products which are already highly priced and sellers are having difficulty selling them.

Give thanks to Digikiller for not making the products ridiculously expensive
jah_vaults

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:35 pm

The "problem" that exists now dates back to a point in the last decade when a small number of highly sought after tunes were released at a vastly inflated price, which people were happy to pay because even this vastly inflated price was way cheaper than what it would cost to get a copy of the original on the collectors circuit. A few more of these "special" tunes were then issued also at above normal prices, and still people accepted them cos it was a new concept and at that point it was still limited to a small number of titles. But what happened next was that gradually more & more labels started thinking ah we can cash in & make up for smaller sales if we double or triple the price of our tunes - meaning if they only sell 300 tunes retailing at 10 quid each they make as much money as selling 1000 for 3 quid each. And then more and more people started doing it until it became the norm. It's one thing putting a tune like Bunny Wailer's Rise & Shine out for a premium price but another completely when it's an unlistenable slice of year 3000 style low grade dub made by someone who can't even play a chord in tune. It's true that vinyl manufacturing/production prices have risen in the past decade but that doesn't justify some of the prices. If labels like Partial, Conscious Sounds etc can release tunes at a reasonable price then why can't others. We're never going to see a return to the price levels of 10 years ago but some of the low quality high priced tunes out there now aren't doing either the producers or the customers any favours.
Reggaemusicstore

Postby lankou » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:56 pm

current releases prices will depend on the number pressed;
Represses will keep on being more expensive (legit but even more pirated "trophy tunes"). If they are 60's/early 70's tunes, represses (when done properly) will be a much better option than trying to secure an original, which won't necessarily be in a very good condition.
Second-hand market will keep on fluctuating, depending on trends set by some internet crazes (some NYC early digi tunes which had no impact whatsoever back then sell for outrageous prices these days). I have certainly noticed a decrease on a lot of killer 80's tunes in favour of more obscure tunes from the same period. Offer and demand is the thing!
lankou

Postby jah_vaults » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:15 pm

Does anyone have sales figures for theses Kingston Connexion carved dubplate specials or whatever they are being called. How well are they selling? Considering they are so rare

Theses should have been released at a fair price to maintain interest in the tunes. I think now the labels are trying to maintain the interest in the tune by having it way overpriced and calling it special carved dubplate or whatever they feel like calling it and top it off with a high price and say its never been released this seems to be the new setting trend now.

Maybe we can start a thread of all the so called unreleased tunes which have never been released before and are being released for the first time and overprice them and say only 100 or 300 are pressed. when in actual fact there are more numbers pressed Of which only some songs genuinely have never been released.

Thanks to Digikiller again for not following this trend and wanting to keep selling products and releasing them at not stupid prices as previously mentioned
jah_vaults

Postby Smiley&TheUnderclass » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:22 pm

As I was reading these posts I was listening to the World Crisis and Carltons from Digikiller... Obviously expensive second hand records are a different beast to the reissues. I've bought a fair few Dub Store and one or two Rock A Shakas... Yes, the tunes are great and there's no chance of ever getting an original copy, but I can't help feeling a little weird paying for something that the artists themselves wouldn't be able to afford in alot of cases. Biggup Digikiller !!
Smiley&TheUnderclass

Previous

Return to General discussion