Barrow opts out of VP-BAF deal

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Barrow opts out of VP-BAF deal

Postby ras2thebone » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:46 am

ras2thebone

Re: Barrow opts out of VP-BAF deal

Postby kalcidis » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:39 am

So what does this mean? B&F will not happen with VP backing or it will not happen at all?
kalcidis

Postby Rico » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:06 am

I thnik it means it will not happen with Steve Barrow...
Only with VP

See also here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45358
Rico

Postby ras2thebone » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:03 pm

Rico wrote:I thnik it means it will not happen with Steve Barrow...
Only with VP

See also here
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=45358

Correct. The deal is locked in but Barrow opted out.
ras2thebone

Postby kalcidis » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:12 pm

Wow. Wasn't even an option in my world. Always saw him as the heart and soul of B&F. So who are representing B&F? It feels like I should know this...
kalcidis

Postby Chaz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:20 pm

You have to wonder about quality control. Will there even be any.
Chaz

Postby Chaz » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:11 pm

I guess what you're saying is that some don't care. Good point. What a shame though, isn't it? And to state it on the Blood and Fire board of all places.
Chaz

Postby David » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:24 pm

well I guess this means, that VP will not do much more than using the old B&F stamps to rerelease their vinyl issues, pretty much the same they do with the Greensleeves catalogue these days. This is not horrible, but wont be of any help to the ones that own the original B&F records.
David

Postby jb welda » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:24 pm

yeah this kinda sucks, I was looking forward to an actual revive of the label which to me meant new releases, but if Steve Barrow doesn't think its worthwhile, I would doubt I would be much interested either. my guess would be they wanted a whole bunch of work for not much in return, but that's only a guess.

If they started releasing a bunch of new, say, compilations under the B&F banner, I would want it to be Steve who was doing the compiling. Without him its pretty much a hollow shell, no disrespect meant to Dom and/or Bob, but really Steve was the heart and soul of the operation if I recall correctly and always the one with the well deserved credential as compiler of many great releases for Trojan among others.

Anyway I hope something comes of it commercially for them/you (B&F I mean), maybe pay off some bills or actually earn a little money for the principals, so all the best. I have most everything ever released on vinyl and pretty much all the cds so I don't really foresee having to buy many of what may come out of a partnership with VP, but I do think it is well worthy of being out in record store shelves (such as they exist anymore).

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby Mick Sleeper » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:05 am

I am likewise crestfallen to hear that the new Blood & Fire isn't happening without Steve's involvement. My prediction is that VP will get some of the B&F back catalog into circulation again, but no new releases under the B&F name. And I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen at all.
Without music, life is an error. (Nietzsche)
Bass Culture: http://podcast.upsetter.net
Eternal Thunder: http://www.upsetter.net/scratch
Mick Sleeper

Postby edgar » Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:53 pm

what I think happened is that Barrow wanted to get all involved musicians and artists to get their financial share (one of the reason it originally went bust) I can imagine that VP (which is in business for 20+ something years) only pays out the copyright holders of the material or the producers..
thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby John Eden » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:03 am

Steve Barrow Fights Against Capitalism.
John Eden

Postby finbar » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:41 pm

edgar wrote:what I think happened is that Barrow wanted to get all involved musicians and artists to get their financial share (one of the reason it originally went bust) I can imagine that VP (which is in business for 20+ something years) only pays out the copyright holders of the material or the producers..

No, that's not the case at all. Steve told me last weekend that he was successful with establishing the terms of the artists and producers contracts under the new arrangement, so good on him for that. Where things fell down were during discussions about what his new role would be.
finbar

Return to General discussion