Michael Rose or Junior Reid - better solo material?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Michael Rose or Junior Reid - better solo material?

Postby Donovan » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:06 pm

As far as ex Uhuru singers, I like Don Carlos the best. I know he wasn't lead, but he's still my favorite. So much great material.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby jesperoots » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:34 am

jesperoots

Postby Werner » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:45 am

nuff said.
Werner

Postby guillaumebougard » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:32 pm

https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby Anbessa » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:13 pm

For the consistency over the years, I'd also go for Michael Rose. Among his more recent works, I absolutely love the album Ryan Twilight Circus produced with him, particularly "Danger zone", which is one of my favorite MR songs ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8vB04h8ev0
www.soulofanbessa.com
Anbessa

Postby soul rebel » Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:59 pm

Junior Reid, by far.
soul rebel

Postby dan i dubdub » Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:19 pm

bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub

Postby monkeystyle » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:36 pm

It's true what some people have said in the thread already, JR's voice isn't what it once was. His output these days can't be compared to Michael Rose's whose still going strong it seems.

However, I prefer JR's voice to MR's on his earlier work. There is something slightly fragile/sensitive in his voice I think, I like that. I don't think songs like 'Higgler move'', 'Jailhouse' 'poor man transportation' ' Babylon release the chain' etc. would sound the same with MR on there. These type of tunes just fit JR's style better IMO.

I would also say that in this thread I read two things that I think that are false, "Junior Reid only had a handful of quality single releases"!!! Come on son! He has an absolutely amazing amount of great single releases, bonafide killers.

The other is that JRs popularity has to do with the current popularity of 'digital'. I really don't see that. None of the four tunes I mentioned before I would consider digital. One blood, bank clerk,youth man... Ok, but I personally think his greatest work are not on 'digital' riddims.
monkeystyle

Postby lankou » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:02 pm

"I would also say that in this thread I read two things that I think that are false, "Junior Reid only had a handful of quality single releases"!!! Come on son! He has an absolutely amazing amount of great single releases, bonafide killers."
They are no more false than anything written in this thread, which is basically a personal appreciation thing. Maybe some people draw the line between "good" and "great", who knows?

"The other is that JRs popularity has to do with the current popularity of 'digital'. I really don't see that. None of the four tunes I mentioned before I would consider digital. One blood, bank clerk,youth man... Ok, but I personally think his greatest work are not on 'digital' riddims."
You are mistaken here, it's clearly not what i was saying but i reckon i should have developed a little further : all i meant is that the 90's output is clearly overlooked by a lot of younger people who are obviously into some sort of early digital- "neo-early digital" phase at the moment. I am well aware that JR didn't record so many tunes during that era. Personally, the vast majority of this artist's songs i enjoy were recorded on pre-digital dancehall riddims. What i said that MR released a huge amount of killer tunes on digital riddims in the 90's and i tend to find them much more superior to most of what JR recorded on digital riddims in that decade, nothing more nothing less. I have heard a MR who is able to sit efficiently on any sort of riddims, even hardcore dancehall ones, which is not a thing that impressed me with Jr Reid. Of course, that's just an opinion.
Anyway, there really must be reasons why so many producers wanted to record MR in the 90's and less wanted JR.
lankou

Postby soul rebel » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:36 pm

"I would also say that in this thread I read two things that I think that are false, "Junior Reid only had a handful of quality single releases"!!! Come on son! He has an absolutely amazing amount of great single releases, bonafide killers."

Co-sign!

And Junior Reid was amazing in the 90s, at least the first half!

But for me, what mostly puts me firmly on the JR side is that he has a handful of tunes that are way better than anything MR ever did outside of Uhuru...
soul rebel

Previous

Return to General discussion