Blood & Fire on CD

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Blood & Fire on CD

Postby asher selector » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:43 am

Congo Bunny wrote:If I could make a living out of selling music I would consider myself the luckiest person alive, but so many people want to be a super star.

Big UP Congo ...

If You Really Believe Inna it , Put Nuff LOVE , STRENGHT , EFFORT , TIME , PASSION ... It Can Work , but not just saling , U have to Organize Live Show , Sound System Night's , Produced GOOD Muzik , Be a Musician or Selecta or Ingeneer or ... ALL INNA ONE CAN MAKE IT WORK but You Affi Keep it UP UP UP ... Also when Time is Rough Don't Give UP and Keep UP Keep UP Keep UP ... And , It will Not Be a BANK MONEY but a EVERYDAY LIVING ... Yes it can GIVE U A EVERYDAY LIVING "Sometime" ... But If U REally WANT It can WORK ... ENERGY , STRENGHT , PASSION & Put it All Inna it ...

BLESS UP ...
Reggae Muzik More www.raspectshop.com Irie ...
asher selector

Postby asher selector » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:54 am

guillaumebougard wrote:
Congo Bunny wrote:It's hard to have sympathy for a record label or an artist who won't keep up with the current formats.

Nobody is asking for your sympathy. Your dollars, pounds and Euros or Yens are more useful, quite frankly!

Big UP ... I don't Feel U Answer is for EVERYBODY ... Because I care For SYMPATHY Yes Nuff Care for the SYMPATHY ... When U say Nobody I don't feel Is GOOD Talking In PEOPLE Name ... Just TALK about You PLEASE ... What I Respect is U are NOT HYPOCRITE In U Answer !!!
But for Me SYMPATHY Come FIRST ... IRIIIE ...
Reggae Muzik More www.raspectshop.com Irie ...
asher selector

Postby guillaumebougard » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:06 am

Congo Bunny wrote:
RB wrote:Congo Bunny - spoken like someone who has no idea about the economics of the record business (let alone reggae business).

Dubster10 - all the labels you mentioned are selling EXPONENTIALLY more than any reggae label.

Congo Bunny wrote:Spoken like someone who know nothing about me

Why don't you introduce yourself instead of using a nickname? I personally would love to know more about the persons on this forum without those silly nicknames.

Like Hi my name is Guillaume Bougard, 50 years old, living in Boulogne Billancourt, France. I have 2 kid, a job at a company called SICAT, I run a label called TABOU1, etc....

If we knew each other a bit more, it would help communicating better.

Congo Bunny wrote:The wonderful arrogance of labels is that they blame their customers when they fail at business, the record industry has manufactured its own downfall and now blames people like me who spend thousands of pounds a year on buying reggae.

You might want to spend more efficiently: 18 quids for the "War in a babylon CD"... Ouch!

Congo Bunny wrote:VP is widely slated on various forums and yet they are the ones that are buying up all the companies from people who continue tofailed at business what a joke those who have failed slagging off those who have succeeded

I'm not saying that small indie labels don't deserve respect and are not all operating at a loss

VP deserves a lot of credit for surviving in this terrible period of sales going down the drain. Most of the businesses they have acquired were not failing businesses. Joe Gibbs, Greensleeves were going concerns when they were bought up by VP.

What is often said about VP is that their contracts are unfair, that they are forced down the throat of people who have no choice, no means of defending themselves and are too desperate to refuse their offers. Unless you, Congo Bunny, run a business, you have no idea of that. And why should you care?

Congo Bunny wrote:If you think 18 quid is fair for a CD then you must have a lot more money than me

I dont know. But if you spend 18 quids on a CD, dont complain about it publicly, it makes you less credible as to your business analysis and common sense, buddy.

Congo Bunny wrote:Those that can't keep up with the modem way of doing business will fail and those that can will prosper and that is fine by me, there are so many hundreds of whiney business owners who think they are entitled and don't have a clue how to run a business, and I couldn't care less if they all go out of business

You are right. But nobody is asking for your care, just your money.

Congo Bunny wrote:i will continue to spend almost all of my spare cash on the cheapest format of reggae that is released by anyone who is willing to deal with the whole screwed up world of reggae where the real people who deserve the money hardly ever get it

As long as you buy and dont download pirated recordings, some of your 18 quids will find their way to Jamaica one way or another. That's good and that's all those people are asking from you.

Congo Bunny wrote:If you release it and it's reggae I will buy it, if you can't stay in business that's your problem not mine

We're good on that. Having said that, i'd be curious to know what you are doing for a living. You spend thousands on reggae records each year. What else can you tell the world about yourself? What is your occupation? Where do you buy records? Which ones have you bought lately? Bitty McLean Taxi Sessions by any chance?
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby hubsi » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:42 pm

greetings from Salzburg,

as a Long time Lover of Reggae Music i have to agree completly with Dom. I have all Bloodandfire Releases and yes, the quality of these Releases are still impressing to me. i know and have a lot of cd's and if i have the chance to buy a bloodandfire cd compared to a clocktower cd, i go for the bloodandfire one - because at the end i get more for my Money.. Sound matters - there are a lot of real cheap and noisy sounding Reggae cd's on the market. or you have loudness - listen to the dennis Brown collection that vp released 2 or 3 years ago. this cd is for me nearly not listenable, it is just loud notten else. So there is a Need for remastering, not only loudness. that this all costs Money is clear. so better spend some more coins on Quality Releases and do not waste your Money with cheap remastered cd's. look for insance to bear Family. the Releases are all high Quality, good presentation, good value for your Money.
or listen to the taxi sessions, good production - buy the cd and buy the Vinyl.
raspect
hubsi
hubsi

Postby dom » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:21 pm

wise words hubs!

all the best

hows your mums biscuits?

hope all's good in salzberg?
dom

Postby Donovan » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:52 pm

If I was involved in the music business I would listen to Congo Bunny rather than beat him down. You are getting unvarnished feedback from a consumer. That is valuable, if sometimes tough to take.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby vane » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:27 am

<<it's thanks to mick hucknall's good will & capital investment that all this was possible to the highest of standards on baf, our business failed for many reasons, not just market changes or bad management but for lots of reasons, some totally inevitable when playing the long term strategy...>>

Over a period of a decade and a half, B&F re-released some of the best reggae music ever recorded. Steve, Dom and Bob committed a large portion of their lives, and Mick Hucknell a large chunk of his royalties, to ensure high quality reissues of some great music that will be around so long as there's something to play it on. B&F set a high benchmark as to what is attainable given proper time, attention and money; artistes and producers were remunerated and the finished product is of the highest standard possible. It's a shame that not all labels aspire to these standards.

I, for one, appreciate the dedication involved in reissuing this material to such a high quality and don't consider B&F to have failed at all.
vane

Postby dom » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:41 am

No one is beating Congo
He's assuming that labels & artists release music as they want to be millionaires

If Max Romeo is a millionaire then good on him.

Got to tell you though I doubt it , he may be comfortable
by Jamaian standards.

If island pay the producer of war in a Babylon - lee perry 18% of the
dealer price which would be £9.
Max will be getting prs royalties as a composer
& ppl as a performer so he be on a similar
slice, maybe less. If that's his best selling releSe
then id want the retail price to be high!
dom

Postby Dubster10 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:01 am

I'm not in the record business but I'm just sad to see that in the 2000s there's been such a wave of high quality reissues of historical music from all over the world by new indie labels and Blood & Fire can't be a part of this "scene", though I could easily see B & F belonging to the same group of labels.

If B & F could get back started and were putting out new releases of the same quality as in the 1990s, surely they would sell as much as the average albums of their peers.

Some parts of it should be easier now than before - promotion / marketing at least, since a lot of it is done today basically for free with Twitter, Facebook, Soundcloud and other online sources. B&F was never alive during the Twitter age so they never kind of got to use that advantage.

There's nothing I can do about it but one can still wish Mr. Barrow would win a large one in the lottery so he could curate some more albums for the B&F catalogue.
Dubster10

Postby guillaumebougard » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:08 pm

dom wrote:No one is beating Congo
He's assuming that labels & artists release music as they want to be millionaires

If Max Romeo is a millionaire then good on him.

Got to tell you though I doubt it , he may be comfortable
by Jamaian standards.

If island pay the producer of war in a Babylon - lee perry 18% of the
dealer price which would be £9.
Max will be getting prs royalties as a composer
& ppl as a performer so he be on a similar
slice, maybe less. If that's his best selling releSe
then id want the retail price to be high!

I for one feel a bit uncomfortable reading CB's posts, because they reek of some sort of schadenfreude for lack of a better word. And armchair critics have always made me cringe.

At the same time, thinking that maybe CB was not a total a$$hole, I've tried to explain certain things rather than get all hyper, so have you Dom. I hope the information we indicated proved educational. It's all about reasoning.
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby brigadierjc » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:43 am

Just a thought.
There are indeed a lot of re-issue labels doing " relatively well" at the moment but many seem to be focusing on singles rather than LPs.
As a result they will appeal to the old time collector as well as the youngster building a sound system and looking to stock up on vintage music (that's a pretty decent market these days).
I personally buy LPs but rather get the tunes on 45 if I can.
brigadierjc

Postby Aaron » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:03 am

Jazzman Records (http://www.jazzmanrecords.co.uk/) is my particular favourite at the mo'; issuing jazz/funk/soul/disco obscurities on Lp, 7" and cd. It's niche stuff, but I think they do alright.
Prince Asbo of Thrifty Vinyl
http://thriftyvinyl.wordpress.com/
Aaron

Postby Reggie Love » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:03 am

I love Blood and Fire cds and have got them all. From the feel of the quality paper to the photos, sleeve notes and sound quality (and of course, most importantly, the fantastic music that was rescued from relative obscurity and shared with a new audience) Blood and Fire showed the way to go.

I regret not telling this to Steve Barrow face to face when I recognised him at Bunny Lee's book launch. So if you read this Steve, thanks. (Also big up Dom, Bob and all original Blood and Fire crew)

My partner has asked me what she should do with my cd collection if anything happens to me, and how will she know which ones are worth anything. I told her that none of them are probably worth that much in monetary terms, but if they are on the Blood and Fire label, make sure they go to an appreciative home.

Have listened Dub gone crazy and Part 2 this morning. Have mixes from Tubbs's studio ever sounded better on cd.

Personally, I would pay a premium (£15-£20 for a cd) for this sort of attention to detail by the new Blood and Fire, but without wanting to be negative, I don't think we'll get this with VP at the reins. To be fair, they have put out some good reissues - though the quality of sound and presentation is not comparable with the original blood and fire.
Last edited by Reggie Love on Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reggie Love

Postby Dubster10 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:35 am

brigadierjc wrote:Just a thought.
There are indeed a lot of re-issue labels doing " relatively well" at the moment but many seem to be focusing on singles rather than LPs.
As a result they will appeal to the old time collector as well as the youngster building a sound system and looking to stock up on vintage music (that's a pretty decent market these days).
I personally buy LPs but rather get the tunes on 45 if I can.

The best thing is to put the music out on as many formats as possible, it's standard these days to sell CDs, MP3s, WAV files and vinyl of everything. I rather have the CD but there's a market for every format.

I was listening a while ago to "Greek Rhapsody", a classy 2 CDs and a book set from Dust-to-Digital. It shows that it's still possible to produce wonderful reissues with effort; they spent a long time researching the material, transferring and restoring the sound of old Greek 78s and writing the book. Though perhaps the label founder is a rich guy - I mean it must have cost a fortune to release "Goodbye, Babylon" as your first thing.

Soul Jazz Records, a good British mostly reissue label, has been putting out Studio One albums in the 2000s. Maybe it could be possible to strike a deal with Soul Jazz (which is surely better than VP) so that B&F would become a sister label of Soul Jazz or something.
Dubster10

Postby Congo Bunny » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:44 pm

I don't need to introduce myself or say what I do for a living, and you'll have to trust me when I say I have spent thousands of pounds buying reggae music over the last twenty years, because I really don't have any reason to lie, because I don't care about money in any way, I'm not trying to make myself sound big, because I really don't give a damn about that kind of thing.

I'm not trying to say that the artists are only in it to make millions, (I don't think I said that I really don't) I was talking about the big record labels I think we know who, Island, Trojan and many other NON reggae labels and other genres too, not just reggae think of the pop world if you like.

If people think selling physical product is cheaper than selling downloads, then I really can't debate, I really have nothing I can say that

Personally I think these are wonderful times for those artists like Rupie Edwards, bunny wailer and Eric Donaldson who own the copy-write for their product, they can release most of their previous recordings with far fewer costs and middle men

I am not taking any joy in record labels failing, that is nonsense and conjecture, and based on not really reading what I have written.

and do I think I have been cheated by the record industry, hell yes, almost without fail every album I bought in the days of CD for £10 (or often more) is now available (Legitimate, legally) for any where from £3 to £4 (which either means that downloads are cheaper to sell, or that record industry have been over charging me... or could it be both?)

Crikey I don't think I've said anything that insulting or untrue but for some reason I always get this kind of backlash on reggae forums.... not any other forums .... well forget it, my life is too short to bother with arguing with people
Congo Bunny

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion