Excerpt from Stir It Up (novel)

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Excerpt from Stir It Up (novel)

Postby David Cupples » Thu May 15, 2014 10:24 pm

A brief excerpt from my novel Stir It Up: The CIA Targets Jamaica, Bob Marley and the Progressive Manley Government, is surprisingly contemporary despite dealing with events in 1980 (and 1976). Following is my Goodreads blog post with the excerpt:

Global Warming
So now the glaciers & icebergs are past the point of no-return, as it were. Gee, if only we'd been certain it (climate change, warming) was occurring AND that it was caused by human activity. I mean, that's been a big point of contention all along, right?

Following is a brief excerpt (from my novel Stir It Up: The CIA Targets Jamaica, Bob Marley and the Progressive Manley Government. (Though a novel, the book is "factional" if you will and the excerpt is factually true to the best of my understanding.)

{November, 1980, Santa Barbara
The people had spoken. As the sun rose over the Santa Barbara foothills, morning in America had officially arrived. California Governor Ronald Reagan had been elected president of the United States. Reagan, whom no less than Henry Kissinger derided as a gunslinger and whose “voodoo economics” even George H.W. Bush had ridiculed. The outgoing Carter Administration had issued a “Global 2000” report warning that the world in the year 2000 would be crowded, polluted, ecologically endangered and subject to strife and conflict, but the Reagan crowd would pay no heed. If you’ve seen one redwood you’ve seen them all, let the bloodbath begin now. Ideology was more comforting than science any day, all one’s cherished beliefs confirmed in the face of every controversy. Scott's friends were going on like it was the end of civilization. Lost in thought as he rode over for session with Dr. M he was almost flattened by a Buick pushing the yellow at State Street. There was a chill bite in the air but he was warm enough in the ubiquitous Marley Tee and denim overshirt.}

Scientists have been telling us warming is occurring due to human activity for decades; very very few scientifically-versed persons have challenged that consensus (Michael Crichton is one of the few to come to mind). Virtually all the others were/are blowhards who think they miraculously "know" things without having to study the issues or think logically. That's the mentality of a young child.
[NOTE: Stir It Up is now 18% off print edition on Amazon - UK.]
David Cupples

Return to General discussion