What Is Euro Dub ?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby lankou » Fri May 23, 2014 11:08 pm

Many european roots reggae groups release dub versions, often produced by themselves and their sound engineer. There are too many examples to mention.
Just some : groups like the Senior All Stars (Germany), The Scrucialists (Switzerland), Highnotes (NL), No More Babylon (France). Zenzile and Improvisators Band before they went for a more UK sound, many other examples who use dub in a different way, with more references to the JA sounds than the 90's UK dub. Yet, are such bands seen as "dub" for the purists, as they rarely released vocal versions and went straight to th dub effects. I won't take sides, as i have very "classic" tastes when it comes to dub, some from JA, some from the UK (esp. Mr Bovell).
Some europan producers : Bost & Bim, Fabwise, Manjul (a frenchman who lives in Mali), Roberto Sanchez, of course. I'm sure many non-UK members could drop quite a number of names from their local scenes who have recorded satisfactory dub efforts, be they producers or real groups who have recorded dub versions of their songs.
lankou
 
Posts: 997
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 11:46 pm
Location: paris

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby asher selector » Sat May 24, 2014 8:29 am

lankou wrote:Many european roots reggae groups release dub versions, often produced by themselves and their sound engineer. There are too many examples to mention.
Just some : groups like the Senior All Stars (Germany), The Scrucialists (Switzerland), Highnotes (NL), No More Babylon (France). Zenzile and Improvisators Band before they went for a more UK sound, many other examples who use dub in a different way, with more references to the JA sounds than the 90's UK dub. Yet, are such bands seen as "dub" for the purists, as they rarely released vocal versions and went straight to th dub effects. I won't take sides, as i have very "classic" tastes when it comes to dub, some from JA, some from the UK (esp. Mr Bovell).
Some europan producers : Bost & Bim, Fabwise, Manjul (a frenchman who lives in Mali), Roberto Sanchez, of course. I'm sure many non-UK members could drop quite a number of names from their local scenes who have recorded satisfactory dub efforts, be they producers or real groups who have recorded dub versions of their songs.


Biiig UP Lankou and All ... Good post ...

A few Year's Ago I released a Full Album with a Swiss "Geneva" Band by the Name of NAJAVIBES "Musical Road" and One Year After I released THE DUB Album Version & I Mix it with Mad Professor , Joe Ariwa , Gussie P ... Yes is EURO DUB but DUB with LIVE Musician's & Real DUB MIX ...

Welcome if U want listen a DUB VIBES ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smjG5S8P7sM Recorded @ Kinyama & Najavibes Studio In Geneva , Over Dub @ Manjul Studio Mali Africa & Mixed @ Ariwa Studio With Mad Professor , Joe Ariwa & Me ... RAAAASPECT ...

or Musical Road in DUB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtYr7_DCQJM Iriiie ...

Iriiie UP ...
Reggae Muzik More www.raspectshop.com Irie ...
asher selector
 
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:32 pm

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby underated » Sun May 25, 2014 6:05 pm

Well Charge wrote:the problem i have with the examples i know of is that often they lack a certain kind of vital 'soulful' for lack of a better word quality to them... in terms of riddim, not enough oxygen, not enough humanity (as opposed to programmed metronome)...



Sometimes i listen to recordings & think they would sound better if the riddim builder used musicians.
Then again i listen to the tradition band recordings & think they need some modern tech sound.
Some people program nuff swing to programmed tracks so it gets harder to spot if it's sample or live !

Well whatever the sound is called in Europe or elsewhere,
some of it is lovely & it helped to save reggae from the bottomless pit .

Now everyone can find stuff that they like,
From the chilled to the club,
There is a sound for everyone's ears & environment.
underated
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:27 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby underated » Sun May 25, 2014 6:42 pm

I'm old enough to remember watching the Euro vision song contest every year.
So yeah perhaps we need a new event .

& this years entry from ******* Is ?
underated
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:27 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby dan i dubdub » Sun May 25, 2014 9:52 pm

and Jamaica can take part in the competition too, just like they let Israel into Eurovision
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub
 
Posts: 748
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:51 pm

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby underated » Sun May 25, 2014 10:31 pm

dan i dubdub wrote:and Jamaica can take part in the competition too, just like they let Israel into Eurovision


It would not be fair to let Jamaica enter,
That Island thrives on competition,
& would win every year.

The Israeli's could make for some roots classics
All the biblical characters come from their part of the world.

When Marley passed away
people would say that other artists would have a chance to shine .

it's a bit like what is happening now,
If the Island scene was really good,
Then there would be less interest in Euro Dub,

In the 80"s & 90's
I listened to 90 percent Jamaican music,
Now that has reversed the total opposite way.

So the other people shine now & have their little bit in the limelight.
underated
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:27 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby SolarHighPower » Tue May 27, 2014 2:30 pm

listening to Prince Jamo "Hercules" right now. and its not "eurodub" it sound like reggae, not euro reggae, but with a swing vibe but I cant call it "swing reggae" I just call it reggae because it sound so.

@asher, "eurodub" is a fully electronic music, watch the shiloh clip on the first page it is the perfect definition of "eurodub"

I notice that "eurodub" is actually based on 1980's Jah Shacka style with Mafia & Fluxy as musicians, ok back then I would maybe tolerate that kind of sound because recording a track was more difficult back then. but not in 2014 because nowdays you can at least add a live guitar to ballance out the unnatural computer sound, back in 80s it was not quiet easy you had to dubb it along the mix while recording to (expensive) tape, nowadays you just click "add next rec track" and thats it.

yes I am positively surprised by Jamo and will support his music if he continue to sound that good.
SolarHighPower
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby asher selector » Tue May 27, 2014 5:19 pm

SolarHighPower wrote:listening to Prince Jamo "Hercules" right now. and its not "eurodub" it sound like reggae, not euro reggae, but with a swing vibe but I cant call it "swing reggae" I just call it reggae because it sound so.

@asher, "eurodub" is a fully electronic music, watch the shiloh clip on the first page it is the perfect definition of "eurodub"

I notice that "eurodub" is actually based on 1980's Jah Shacka style with Mafia & Fluxy as musicians, ok back then I would maybe tolerate that kind of sound because recording a track was more difficult back then. but not in 2014 because nowdays you can at least add a live guitar to ballance out the unnatural computer sound, back in 80s it was not quiet easy you had to dubb it along the mix while recording to (expensive) tape, nowadays you just click "add next rec track" and thats it.

yes I am positively surprised by Jamo and will support his music if he continue to sound that good.


Biiiig UP ... Yes Yes I know I just do a :wink: Vibes ... Because I am in Europe & DUB ... ahahhahahaha Cool & Respect ... Iriie ...
Reggae Muzik More www.raspectshop.com Irie ...
asher selector
 
Posts: 1847
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:32 pm

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby Ranking Glasses » Fri May 30, 2014 11:45 am

Isn't the important thing here that "Euro Dub" is helping to keep the music alive even though some of us may not like it very much? Better this than the music fading out all together which could happen one day.
Ranking Glasses
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:17 pm

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby dougie conscious » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:02 pm

Heres a couple more euro dub tunes. http://youtu.be/4D8bjElPNj0 http://youtu.be/QebjsLESrhc
dougie conscious
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:05 pm

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby mark b » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:09 pm

dougie conscious wrote:Heres a couple more euro dub tunes. http://youtu.be/4D8bjElPNj0 http://youtu.be/QebjsLESrhc


Euro dub?


Nah,thats just 2 wicked tunes
mark b
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:25 pm

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby dougie conscious » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:06 pm

jus being sarcy
dougie conscious
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:05 pm

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby oneshotbeary » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:32 pm

dougie conscious wrote:Heres a couple more euro dub tunes. http://youtu.be/4D8bjElPNj0 http://youtu.be/QebjsLESrhc


where might one buy these two tunes please?
oneshotbeary
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:58 pm

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby SolarHighPower » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:01 pm

dougie conscious wrote:Heres a couple more euro dub tunes. http://youtu.be/4D8bjElPNj0 http://youtu.be/QebjsLESrhc


track#1 sounds like a try of regular dub
track#2 eurodub at its finest..
SolarHighPower
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:57 pm

Re: What Is Euro Dub ?

Postby dougie conscious » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:37 am

dougie conscious
 
Posts: 2535
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:05 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests