Help with dating of Yabby You represses

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Help with dating of Yabby You represses

Postby jahkob » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:25 pm

Until recently it didnt give the different labels on all the Yabby U represses much thought, but since I now have three different releases of the same tune to pick from I feel i need some help.

From what Ive understand theres three factors (or are there more?):
- the colour of label
- distribution adress on label
- which side yabby yous face is turned towards

In my case I got a blue, a yellow and a red label to choose from. All with the face turned to the left. Cant see any adress though. Usually discogs supplies alot of info needed but on all of these the date of release is missing. The tune in mention in this case is the great Death Trap.

So my question is from what year are the different represses are from? The blue, the yellow and the red.

All help very apprici-loved!

PS: it just struck me that I failed to mention that this concerns the Vivian Jackson label and not the Prophets label.
Last edited by jahkob on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jahkob

Re: Help with dating of Yabby You represses

Postby rastapopoulos » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:33 pm

first press is the white label with green logo,
2nd yellow label (late 70's early 80's ?)
3rd red label (mid 80's ?)
4th blue label (90's ?)

just a wild guess...
rastapopoulos

Postby jahkob » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:50 am

If only it was so easy. From just looking at label on discogs I come to this conclusion:

- Yellow label with face turned to the left: year 1992
- Blue label with face turned to the left: year 2000
- Red label with face turned to the left: year 2006

This stands for most part of stuff up on discogs but there are quite a few exceptions.
. . . live good and good shall come to you . . .
jahkob

Postby jay-b » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:31 pm

it would be easier if you identified the particular track - and even easier if you could post the images!
jay-b

Postby jb welda » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:38 am

at one time a friend or associate of mine and possibly some others here either pressed up or got supplied somehow a bunch of yabby you 12"s with I think the blue label. this had to be early 90s, possibly 92. I think he might have also had some 7". if i recall right there was some kind of address on the label which sort of looked like they were double printed with one image slightly off the other, blurry. most of the pressings were very very shall we say dubious in sound quality and if I remember right some had extreme edge warp pretty much making them unplayable. I was given some copies, don't remember the songs, but threw most of them away because they were just stylus eaters. I also believe that despite being 12" in size, they only contained short vocal version on one side and short dub version on the other, nothing more than a 7" pressed out on a 12".

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby jahkob » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:12 am

I simply come to the conclusion of not buying any of these represses of the internet. Hopefully Ill come cross some of them when crate digging some time and can then listen to them to verify if its worth buying.

I remember coming cross loads of Yabby You represses (7, 12 and LPs) back in 2000 but not buying anything because of the sound quality. Now Ill go hunting originals and continue with the wishful thinking that BAF will re-releasing the Jesus Dread comp.

Many thanks for the help and input giving people! Always apprici-loved!
. . . live good and good shall come to you . . .
jahkob

Postby edgar » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:57 am

look at the rings on the label. If it has a small ring it's most likely a repress.. a larger ring only an original.. I know that was the case with a batch of rockers international repressings from a couple of years ago (2003/2004?)

thank you putting this on here- best reggae track ever, apart from most bob marley tracks
edgar

Postby jay-b » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:10 pm

haven't heard the "ring size" idea before - interesting - however in terms of the "Eastman sound" 12" pictured, I'm pretty sure the original didn't come in that design......(mine's certainly different)
jay-b

Return to General discussion