Jamaican reggae tour guide?

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Jamaican reggae tour guide?

Postby Hotpie » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi All,

I'm considering a holiday to Jamaica later on in the year. My partner and I want to go on an all inclusive type break, but we can't go to Jamaica without seeing the real sites!

We would love to get in contact with someone who can give us a real experience and show us the historic reggae places. Has anyone done this before? Any ideas on friends/family or official tours that can hook us up?

I'm not really sure where we would want to go. Probably Hope Road, 9 Mile, Trenchtown, Studio One (or where it was) a couple of record shops and maybe a visit to trench town. It would be great to get hooked up with someone reliable and trustworthy before getting there.

Thanks
Here's some ear candy... http://www.mixcloud.com/jacktrend/
Hotpie

Re: Jamaican reggae tour guide?

Postby dj745 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:08 pm

Hi I have a good friend who has travelled around with me in kingston amongst other places for the past 15 years and has also helped quite a few people out on the board pm me if I can help.

Cheers
dj745

Postby dj745 » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:09 pm

Ps there is a previous thread on record shops in kingston or jamaica that I can't locate right now but has some useful info-I was last there in January so could update it as it's a little out of date.
dj745

Postby dom » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:07 pm

Trinity, he drives, knows everyone , safe driver, good laugh, on time and likes to hang out!
dom

Postby Hotpie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:47 pm

Nice one... Any suggestions on good places to check out?

Any ideas on what a fair price for this sort of thing would be?

We're looking at a place in Negril so its on the far side of the island. Should I look at a hotel near Kingston?

Any recommendations appreciated!
Hotpie

Postby Hotpie » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:48 pm

dom wrote:Trinity, he drives, knows everyone , safe driver, good laugh, on time and likes to hang out!

Hi... Who is Trinity? thanks
Hotpie

Postby dom » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:11 pm

Trinity is Wade Brammer AKA Junior Brammer, veteran DJ, voiced for Yabby You, Bunny Lee, Joe Gibbs, Channel One etc, friendly artist who can take you around.

Ill find the name of the apartments that non JA producers and business people use.

ta
dom
dom

Postby dj745 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:25 pm

Depending on your exact plans and how long you plan n staying in kingston a hotel would be the best thing it's too far to travel back and forth from negril. Most of the hotels in new kingston will serve your purpose well none of them are that great but it's a safer part to stay.

In terms of what to do in kingston it really depends on how deep you want to go, I've been back and forth for years and it's only on my last trip that I managed to make it to King tubbys studio location in Waterhouse. By contrast I always manage to find time to go to some of the current working studios and through my friend managed to get a tour inside the studio at studio 1-something I've never had a chance to do despite going there 6/7 times in the past to buy records from the store rooms upstairs.
dj745

Postby johnnyB » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:30 pm

Mikuzi B&B in New Kingston is a nice & cheap option.Make sure you take a walk in Downtown Kingston on your own without guides.You'll be surprised how friendly & relaxed people are down deh.As for Negril I would avoid it.Portland area more genuine.Have a nice trip!
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby Apostle » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:39 pm

Apostle

Postby Leo5 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:34 pm

the hotel situation in KGN is more expensive nowadays and kind of wack after the wyndham burned down. try airbnb for a plethora of cheap apartments. in case you want to head out on your own, most cab rides in kingston do not top $5 US Dollars. go ahead and explore! but if you want to go into the ghetto, probably better to go with someone from there. downtown is also not so scary like people want to make out (you will be warned away but it's a crucial stop)
Leo5

Postby Leo5 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:38 pm

also, any time day or nite you can all on-time taxi service in KGN (876-926-3866) and they will actually show up on time (usually in 5-7 minutes). if you catch a dude on the street just make sure he doesn't overcharge. have fun
Leo5

Return to General discussion