Chronixx - live

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Chronixx - live

Postby BMC » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:44 pm

dan i dubdub wrote:Young people going for him

True, but plenty of 'older' people too. When I saw him in Amsterdam the crowd was a nice mixture of young and old at least.

I'm sure you'll be enjoying the show Reggie! Do report how it was, ok?
BMC

Postby Reggie Love » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:24 pm

Yes, will :D definitely report back
Reggie Love

Postby Primitive Don » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:00 am

Saw the clip of Chronixx on Jimmy Fallon; he and Zinc Fence delivered a great performance. I thought it was neat he dipped into some Jah9 and Jesse Royal lyrics from their tunes on the same riddim. I would have loved to have seen Chronixx at his free concert in Central Park NYC. From reading comments on Facebook, it appears some concertgoers were turned away due to the large audience turnout. Apparently Mick Jagger turned up with family members to see the show.

Favorite Chronixx tunes are 'Beat and a Mic,' 'They Don't Know' and 'Smile Jamaica'. Also love his hooks on 'Who Knows' and 'Selassie Souljahz.'
'Let Jah arise and let his enemies be scattered away' - Barry Brown
Primitive Don

Postby Reggie Love » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:10 am

A little review, BMC this one is for you: Chronixx - Brixton Electric. 10/08/14

I hadn't seen anticipation levels this high for a visiting yard artist since Damien Marley traded rhymes with Nas on a sweltering July evening in Hammersmith four years ago. But this was 2014, this was Chronixx, this was 500 people queuing around the block at 7.30. Last time Chronixx came to London there was talk of tickets for the Scala in Kings Cross being oversold. Now, I wouldn't want to level that accusation at the Electric but the place was rammed, unfeasibly rammed; make it to the toilets and you might not make it back to your mates rammed.

Talking of rams, here he comes , Ram Jam Rodigan, ready with a musical history lesson to put this special night in context. Leaping around one minute, sitting next to the decks soaking it all up the next, flinging down dubplates from Tarrus Riley back to Barrington, Buju, and Stitchie; spinning classics from Slim Smith, Delroy Wilson, Dennis, Gregory and. . . Gyptian. He exited with Marley. Enter the new. . nah, you won't catch me saying that :D , but the atmosphere in the Electric was shock-inducingly electric. .

Chronixx ran on from stage left doing scissor-kicks, and looking super cool in wooly rasta hat and crisp white shirt. He kicked off with a mean and moody bass-heavy 'Alpha and Omega', then Aint no giving up. Then. . . I can't quite remember, because it seemed to go flat. Suddenly his voice seemed too frail to reach the back of the venue; he wasn't able to hit the high notes; he was singing unfamiliar, softer material that sounded a bit weak and inappropriate. What was going on? We'd been told he had been stuck on a coach for five hours coming into London. Was he fatigued, overwhelmed? The crowd still lapped up every second though. There was a collective will for this to be something special, you could feel the huge goodwill towards the young man with massive expectations on his shoulders. But I wasn't quite feeling the music. . . yet. In a fleeting moment, I wondered, was this the Emperor's new clothes?

And then it all came together, he'd found his voice. Ah, boy, had he found his voice? Starting with a captivating 'Capture Land', Chronixx now commanded the stage and the mic. Had he had a big swig of Spirulina? 'Here comes Trouble' was immense, with snatches of Jesse Royale and Jah9's versions on the riddim, just like on the telly. And then he brought on Protoje-ay-ay for 'Who Knows' and. . . ah, boy, the place erupted - so much so you could hardly hear the tune at times.
All the tracks from the album were played, plus 'Smile Jamaica', 'Start a Fyah'… Have to big up the Zinc Fence Redemption Band here; once the show really kicked off, they were superb.

Rodigan popped back on, inviting us to agree that reggae history had been made this night in Brixton. Then Chronixx was back, delivering one of the highlights of the night, a stunning version of 'Warrior' segueing into 'Odd Ras' - urgent stuff, vital, innovative, tuff. He was freestyling lyrics now, even offering up snatches of Supercat, 'me a rude boy youth and me nah look back' (?). He ended on another high with Eternal Fire,and then it was all over, out into the relatively cool Brixton air to reflect.
Almost immediately I was accosted: 'I'm gonna tell you three quick jokes and if you like them, will you give me £1.80?' None were funny, two didn't even make sense, but I handed over something anyway. It was that kind of night.
Last edited by Reggie Love on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reggie Love

Postby KEEL » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:43 am

got to agree with the review Reggie Love, spot on.

Grumpy alert....however this mobile phone filming business is so damm stupid it gets right on my nerves, and then the young rude girls swooning and singing so badly it was excruciating. Nevertheless worth it for a memorable night.
Throw out your life line...
KEEL

Postby BMC » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:16 pm

NICE ONE, Reggie! Very nice read. Too bad the show got flat at some point, wonder what were the tunes on that portion. But good it went back to quality after all. Been wondering how he's gonna deal with the huge and continuously growing expectations and pressure on him. Hope he (and the people around him) manages to keep his head cool and just take one step at the time, he's very young so all the time to grow in the music and business side of things. Also his tourschedule is quite busy for some time now: EU, US, back to EU for festival season, UK now, than back for more festivals I believe. Must be hard, or that Spirulina really is good! :wink:
BMC

Postby Reggie Love » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:25 am

Cheers Keel, I just tried to describe it as I saw things so its good to know that someone else experienced it in a similar way. I agree with you about the phone-filming thing, I just find it bizarre, and of course annoying, a modern scourge for sure.

BMC, glad you liked the review. Overall, it was a great show and one I would have really hated to have missed. I think Chronixx said the show was in three parts and, after the initial excitement, it was in first part when he was singing with a stripped back accompaniment - I didn't recognise the material at all. Also, perhaps it took a while to get the sound right - they said he arrived quite late at the venue, so maybe not time for a decent sound check- and it was a while before his voice really cut through.
Yes, really hope things push on well for him. Looking forward to hearing what he comes up with next.
Reggie Love

Previous

Return to General discussion