Chronixx - live

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Chronixx - live

Postby lankou » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:26 pm

"(in some cases it almost reads as people are proud to not like him or so, weird)".
Then, i'm probably one of the "culprits" and i'll stand my ground. It's good to feel enthused by current artists after having been into this music for a long while, like you are. I can too but, frankly, looking back, would this artist have really stood a chance when the "modern roots" scene was so large? You know the 90's scene very well, though it tends to be overlooked very much these days by reggae buffs (old and new). Heaps of 45's were released every week, even in this genre, by well-known, not so well-known and even obscure artists. Apart from some chosen few, not so many singers made it big. Yet, imho, a good number of singers showed far superior vocal skills when compared to Chronixx.
People like, for instance, Paul Elliott, Utan Green, Iya Shanti, Mark Wonder, Daweh Congo or Aaron Silk... weren't even in the major league. Where would a guy like the most hyped up JA talent today have ranked? Of course, we will never know, but...
I know it's all down to personal perception! Like you, i enjoy seeing serious new JA reggae talents popping up, after a very long lethargy (or what i perceive as such, as i really hated that "nu roots/one-drop" era opened by Corleon). It's just that, unlike others, Chronicle's son doesn't do much for these ears. Nothing weird, nothing to be proud of! :wink:
lankou

Postby BMC » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:00 pm

lankou wrote:Chronicle's son doesn't do much for these ears. Nothing weird, nothing to be proud of! :wink:

I'll repeat just to be clear, I certainly do not find it weird that people do not like Chronixx, to each his/her own. What I mean is that in the comments I've seen it sometimes reads as if people take pleasure out of not liking him (in a 'look at me going against the hype' kinda attitude). That is what I find weird.
Reggae mixes (old & new) and more: BMC's Reggae Blog
Latest episode: The Impressions - The Jamaican Connection
Facebook: BMC's Reggae Mixes (page)
BMC

Postby lankou » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:10 pm

OK, then it's just not my perspective. Maybe you are just more lenient than me.
Yet, i really wouldn't mind if more younger ones bothered to document themselves on previous generations of artists instead of going with the grain. Some of the laudatory comments on YT are just plain ridiculous : they read as if C were the long-awaited messiah everyone had been longing for since... Marley's death????? And it is also visible in many mainstream media, whose hacks must have been deaf since dog knows when...
Oh well, i'd probably say the same about Marley's offspring, anyway, never mind!
lankou

Postby finbar » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:08 pm

lankou wrote:OK, then it's just not my perspective. Maybe you are just more lenient than me.
Yet, i really wouldn't mind if more younger ones bothered to document themselves on previous generations of artists instead of going with the grain. Some of the laudatory comments on YT are just plain ridiculous : they read as if C were the long-awaited messiah everyone had been longing for since... Marley's death????? And it is also visible in many mainstream media, whose hacks must have been deaf since dog knows when...
Oh well, i'd probably say the same about Marley's offspring, anyway, never mind!

It negates Marley's uniqueness to suggest that there even could be a "next Marley", and such expectations can only be an albatross for young artists striving to express themselves. Marley is Marley, Chronixx is Chronixx.
finbar

Postby BMC » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Wow, can't recall the last day I posted 3 replies on one day on the B&F forum! My average the last few years has more been like 3 posts a year or so. :lol:

Anyway, I understand where you're coming from lankou and respect your opinion, always have (good to see we're still having discussions on the music after all these years, means there's still worthy things happening in the world of reggae). In the end it all comes down to taste and I happen to rate Chronixx highly, higher than some of the names in your previous post (either in style, vocals or both). I've heard the mention of 'the new Marley' etc since 2013 or so, but can't say I'm too bothered by it even though I certainly do not see it happening. What I do appreciate, is that he does bring forward a very diverse crowd, as seen again yesterday. From elderly local rasta's that I rarely see at shows anymore to people bringing their kids to witness this to students to my wife etc. Very diverse, and he delivers something worthwhile for each category, which is not something that every reggae artists can pull off. There's something about him that makes his star rise higher than most other JA artists and I'd just say good for him, good for the music. The fact that this didn't happen in the past with other talented Jamaicans is not a reason for me to down grade his achievements.

Funny you mention the Marley's. To me that's very similar indeed. I regularly see people taking every opportunity to tell that they do not like the Marley kids and have to repeat this statement on every occassion their name pops up. Find that weird too, for the same reasons. Feel free to not like 'm, but also here there sometimes seem to be an urgency to tell so. I for one think that Damian Marley is among the most interesting and talented JA artists of the last 15 years. Not because he is a Marley, what usually is the claim for the critics, but because I truely think he is really really good. Sure his name helps him and he uses his father in his musical path, no doubt, but what he reached goes beyond being a Marley. All imo ofcourse. 8)
BMC

Postby lankou » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:04 pm

Well, we basically agree to disagree in a cool way, that's fine ! :wink:
Not written a lot here either for quite some time but i just happened to have some spare time on my hands, and it's hard to find decent posts on forums nowadays. I don't intend to join FB but i'm not sure it's every bit as good as what forums used to offer. B&F still can be good when people with versatile tastes communicate.
I must say that i'm not the biggest fan of Damian M, though i'll always reckon he has recorded some solid tunes. I wish so many current artists - including many who are not jamaican - would stop aping his vocals as mere copycats. True, unlike other Marleys, he has always done his own thing, but i find him quite tedious after a while. Anyway, i'm looking forward to hear his new album, can't be all bad, for sure !
Yet, i don't mind if certain up and coming talents borrow part of his style while bringing their own touch (Kabaka does that, and i rate him). Frankly, it's just impossible to avoid, given his visibility all through the years since the early 2000's. The guy is picky and he can afford to be, he has no pressure to rush up things and mostly releases well produced music.
Of course, we can be moved / excited by it or not, but that's subjective...
On the other hand, i've become really interested in a number of Ghetto Youths Int'l productions and do rate Stephen Marley as a very good producer, very versatile, progressive and rootsy at once. I believe DM definitly owes him something in terms of finely crafted music, but i prefer what he does with other talents such as Black-Am-I or Chris Ellis, for instance. A fairly recent tune with now veteran Determine also came as a pleasant surprise. Too bad none ever came out on 7"s.
lankou

Postby BMC » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:10 pm

lankou wrote:Not written a lot here either for quite some time but i just happened to have some spare time on my hands, and it's hard to find decent posts on forums nowadays. I don't intend to join FB but i'm not sure it's every bit as good as what forums used to offer.

I can assure you: it is NOT! I've joined FB some years ago hoping for nice talks about the music and all and get into contact with artists and producers. The latter did happen in some cases, the former hardly ever. No way near the fun and depth of discussions we had over here throughout the years. FB is a lot about ego and that's mainly what I use it for too to be honoust, promoting my mixes (I do not share family stuff and such there). Am in very nice contact with some other music lovers there, but discussions/conversations on the music rarely happen. I regularly post album covers I am spinning or have bought and such there too, but it rarely leads to even 1 comment, only 'likes'. As the man Chronixx says (bringing it all back to topic, ha): do it for the love, not do it for the likes.

Agreed on Stephen's talent as a producer! I also rate some tracks on his albums. He and Damian are the only two Marley's I follow closely.
BMC

Postby johnnyB » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:09 pm

I wasn't moved by Chronixx album at first. Now after a month or so and several listenings I can say some songs are very good,most are good and a few are average. One is one of the worst songs I've ever heard on a reggae artist album (I Can). All in all its main virtue is being up to date contemporary music. Chronixx probably holds in high esteem being contemporary. After all we all happen to hear here and there dubstep,electronica,europop,etc. Why shouldn't these sounds influence an international star? Being the guest of major talk shows or being on the bill of mega crossover festivals like Glastonbury or Coachella influences musical choices too. Anyway I don't mind this diversity, I just expected something different,heavier and rootsier.
Stony Hill by Jr Gong is more or less in the same vein,crossover most of the time and a handful of roots numbers of high quality. I like it more than Chronology. As for the other Marleys I'm big fan of Stephen whose albums are all great works. Kymani "Conversations" with Gentleman is a very solid but overlooked album too.
I like Chronixx and I hope the best from him has yet to come.
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Previous

Return to General discussion