Randall Grass on Shanachie Yabby You Project

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Randall Grass on Shanachie Yabby You Project

Postby guillaumebougard » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:24 pm

Peacemakeya wrote:Received an advance copy today. EPIC & ICONIC ... Congrats to Randall Grass & Shanachie for a beautiful, powerful and masterful collection. The amount of love, time & effort that went into this project is obvious. It packages a time from the 'Golden Age of Roots Reggae' that was and will never be again. IMO no reggae collection is complete without this audio. artistic and printed-word storytelling masterpiece. Who knows how long it will be available. Suggest one & all get it while the gettings good.

Shanachie you again proved you earned your name on this one

Shanachie ... from the Gaelic "seanchaidhe" - traditional storyteller and keeper of the history

This message should be nicknamed:

"How to make the massive DROOL with anticipation!!!"
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby ras2thebone » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:38 am

Agree 100%. The best and most definitive Yabby You set available. The 28-page booklet is worth the purchase price alone.
ras2thebone

Postby flashman » Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:21 am

Ordered today! Can't wait. Amazingly enough Ernie B had it. Had to navigate through some Taylor Swift, Procul Harum and Dvorak to find it!

However, between the B&F and Pressure Sounds comps ( that's, what ,at least 6 discs?) plus the recent reissue of Jah Jah Way, I get so confused as to what's what. There's a ton of overlap and lots of rhythms appearing over and over. I wish someone would put together something like a concordance that lays it all out. A Yabby You rhythm matrix of some sort.I guess I could, but will I? Probably not.
flashman

Postby 99thfloor » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:10 am

flashman wrote:...between the B&F and Pressure Sounds comps ( that's, what ,at least 6 discs?) plus the recent reissue of Jah Jah Way...

Here's what I got, am I missing some important re-issue or something on a major (relatively) label:

Blood & Fire:
King Tubby's Prophesy Of Dub
Jesus Dread
Dub It To The Top
Deliver Me From My Enemies

Pressure Sounds:
Deeper Roots
Deeper Roots Part 2

Island (Universal):
Jah Jah Way
+productions (B&F):
Trinity: Shanty Town Determination
Tommy McCook: Blazing Horns / Tenor In Roots
99thfloor

Postby guillaumebougard » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:09 am

for those interested in wav / flac and other lossless downaloads, Jonodownload has a number of record like conquering lion etc...
guillaumebougard

Postby Peacemakeya » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:42 pm

flashman - However, between the B&F and Pressure Sounds comps ( that's, what ,at least 6 discs?) plus the recent reissue of Jah Jah Way, I get so confused as to what's what. There's a ton of overlap and lots of rhythms appearing over and over. I wish someone would put together something like a concordance that lays it all out. A Yabby You rhythm matrix of some sort.I guess I could, but will I? Probably not.

That's been part of the wonderful, wild, wackies world of reggae since the get go ... regardless, IMO this collectors-set is a must have for even a couple of the never till now released singles ... I've got the 2 songs: "Mercy & Truth" and "Reggae Mek Ya Feel Alright" on daily rotation (Would love to know who voiced - 'Reggae Mek Ya Feel Alright) ... It's obviously a Yabby You production but Shanachie tried & was not yet able to determine the audio-archeology and i.d. the singer. (much of Yabby's surviving studio tape archives have no credits or track sheets)

Apart from those 2 previously unreleased GIGANTIC classics ... the collection contains a heap of minimally released classics ... I've been told some of them were only ever pressed on limited runs of a hundred - 7 inch

At risk of being repetitive I'll again remind the massive that this collectors set also contains a 29 page booklet of photos & written words never before seen or published. How many know the story that in Yabby's home parish they named him 'Ajax' and accorded him the respect of an indigenous chief?

guillaumebougard » for those interested in wav / flac and other lossless downaloads, Jonodownload has a number of record like conquering lion etc...

G - glad you letting the massive know there are legit places to find downloads ... Is human nature nowadays & easily convenient to cruise the internet for our musical foods ... but IMO a digi download will never be the same as holding a collectors-set

Nevermind the prevalence of bandooloo download ... There are certain universal laws - i.e.. gravity ... Disrespect the law of gravity & you get a beating ... there is another law called reciprocity (a.k.a. karma ... a.k.a. reap what you sow ... a.k.a. what goes around comes around) ... what me saying is that if ya bandooloo the works of some one's blood. sweat & tears ... when we talking about the blessings to be found in the wordsoundpowahs of musics like Yabby You's ... ya then negating your own self-blessings that flow thru the mystics via these musics ... Also reminding the massive that all royalties from this Yabby You collectors box-set going directly to Yabby's widow Jean ... The music industshitty never was kind to the reggae veterans ... so it will be good if a likkle recompense can now ease Jean's life ... She is now an elder with health issues ... her and Yabby were not able to have children so no help for her in her old age that way and Jamaica has zero social services.
Peacemakeya

Postby skunkride » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Peacemakeya wrote:Would love to know who voiced - 'Reggae Mek Ya Feel Alright

Thats Nathan Skyers
skunkride

Postby guillaumebougard » Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:18 pm

you're right, Alex, about the digital format shortcomings: a "package" like this one, or what PS and B&F have released is A MUST HAVE and blows files out of the water.

By the way, the sound on Conquering Lion and a couple other YY dub releases available on Juno is totally crappy, weak and distorted. Do not waste your money.
guillaumebougard

Postby jahkob » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:07 pm

Soundclips can be heard at honestjons.com. For all scandinavian massive I recommend you check ginza.se och bengans.se who got this release for the very good price of 159-189 SEK.
https://www.mixcloud.com/DUBDISCO45/
jahkob

Postby yms » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:46 pm

Received my copy yesterday from Amazon.

Amazing compilation and worth the price alone for some of the sides on disc 3, absolute standout for me being the Alrick Forbes & Willi Williams - Warn The Nation Dublate. Couldn't get past that one, stuck in traffic on the car player today. Must have had about 7 plays back to back. Top class.
yms

Postby Apostle » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:00 am

Is this a CD only release or is there a vinyl as well?
Apostle

Postby 99thfloor » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:27 am

jahkob wrote:For all scandinavian massive I recommend you check ginza.se och bengans.se who got this release for the very good price of 159-189 SEK.

Wow, that is a really god price! Wonder how they manage to keep it down so low (equal to £12/€16 at Ginza), but I'm not complaining, didn't even expect them to be stocking this.

Tack för tipset!
99thfloor

Postby j j » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:12 am

The last 3 tracks on this set are virtually unlistenable. the sound quality on Black Is Our Colour dub plate is so noisy that I wonder if it should have been included?
I know theses are rarities but come on, the noise on this one is as loud (if not louder) as the actual music :shock: After all this is music - which is to be listened too, not looked at!

listened @ Juno.com

j j
j j

Postby Ringo » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:57 am

j j wrote:The last 3 tracks on this set are virtually unlistenable. the sound quality on Black Is Our Colour dub plate is so noisy that I wonder if it should have been included?
I know theses are rarities but come on, the noise on this one is as loud (if not louder) as the actual music :shock: After all this is music - which is to be listened too, not looked at!

listened @ Juno.com

j j

Two ways to look at this, I think. I just listened to the samples on Juno, and yes, they're very noisy. I've ordered a copy anyway, personally I want to hear them. I'm a lover of dub, especially that which came from King Tubby. I relish the prospect of hearing what Tubby did with some of my favourite producer's best work. I'm fascinated by the different cuts of it to hear what different decisions he made trying to get a new and interesting sound for each cut of the same rhythm.

It adds a further dimension of enjoyment to hear the dubplates taken by different operators to play on their sounds in Jamaica in the 70's. Years ago I wouldn't have believed I'd ever get to hear so many of them, I'm grateful they've survived and somebody has made the effort to source them and make them available for me to listen to without having to spend big on the dubplate collectors circuit.

Having some of the noisier versions on the CD might mean I don't listen to it as much, which is a shame, but having access to this music outweighs the problems for me. I'm glad they haven't been cleaned up badly, I want to hear them more or less as they were cut to acetate.

In the age of digital music systems I think the thing to do is digitise all those Pressure Sounds, Blood & Fire & Shanachie Yabby You rarities and put the ones you want o hear a lot on your media server for general listening, and keep the less listenable cuts for when you want to hear them. I doubt I'll bother with the effort though :D
Purple Radio - Every other Wednesday 6:30 - 8pm http://www.purple-radio.co.uk

Archive of old shows http://www.crytough.com/purple.html
Ringo

Postby Reggie Love » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:06 am

I got my copy on Sunday and haven't had a chance to listen to it all through yet. I did the play the rarities disc yesterday though and I noticed that the dub plate cuts get progressively worse in terms of sound quality; by the time the last one came on I did wonder the same as you, JJ. Still, I'm sure they are deliberately at the end of the disc so that you can always cut the playing short.
Looking forward to giving the whole thing a decent listen this weekend. Big up Shanacie for putting it out.
Reggie Love

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion