Randall Grass on Shanachie Yabby You Project

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: Randall Grass on Shanachie Yabby You Project

Postby KEEL » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:18 am

I have Sir Coxsonne on kiss playing 'what a sufferation' but credits it to Wayne Wade, could this be the same cut?
me say she look so pretty from afar..
KEEL

Postby jahkob » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:58 am

Have the dubplate cuts to the Born Free riddim been released? Those would do good as a proper release as well.
. . . live good and good shall come to you . . .
jahkob

Postby RB » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:07 pm

KEEL wrote:I have Sir Coxsonne on kiss playing 'what a sufferation' but credits it to Wayne Wade, could this be the same cut?

definitely Patrick, you can't really confuse him and wayne wade IMO...also as i said i spoke to patrick about it, and he re-voiced it for me on a Channel 1 rhythm... :)
i'll release it sometime before i die hopefully, hahaha
RB

Postby Peacemakeya » Tue May 13, 2014 12:21 am

Greetings roots reggae lovers …

This an up^date on the soon-come triple CD long-box release - with extensive booklet writings and artworks

working title: ‘THE YABBY YOU STORY’

I been fortunate to be asked to collaborate on this project with some studio master tape archives Yabby placed in me trust - as well as contribute some writings of little known history of Yabby’s runnings

I have no financial stake in these works other than the intention to help support Yabby’s surviving family. As to the integrity of this project -> me know Yabby carries a profound message, unique from all the other pioneers from the Golden Age of Roots Reggae and me know this message need be documented for the present and future generations.

For example … few in the world know that in Yabby’s home parish of Clarendon, people called him - ‘Ajax’ and accorded him the respect of an indigenous chief … this story of him being named Ajax is a history and a teaching in itself.

Likewise this a labor of luv for Randall Grass & Shanachie Music … To those who question the integrity and intention of the brother from Shanachie putting this project together … Know this: Being a music producer is a different thing from being an audiophile or music collector - those aware of the reality of the present day music marketplace -> know this not a money thing for Shanachie … it is Shanachie putting untold hours of time, energy & moneys into it with the intention of historical preservation for the future generations and to help Yabby’s surviving family.

Let not anyone be too quick to assume this is a thankless work for Shanachie for they now reciprocating in their deep respect of Jamaican culture in general, roots reggae in particular and Yabby You specifically.

However to the audiophiles and collectors … regardless certain edgy vibes - your input is still appreciated and weighed in the balance. Be assured this release will contain nuff previously unreleased songs of the highest possible audio fidelity.

Shanachie is still digging deep into the audio-archeology of Yabby’s archives. Unfortunately some of the studio tapes have disintegrated due to the difficulty of ghetto peoples storing the old tapes in climate and temperature controlled conditions. Realize we talking about some rare tracks due to the suffrah reality of Yabby often running his own label during the pioneer era of roots reggae – nuff of these songs were on very limited 7” release – ie. limited runs of 40 pressings. Furthermore, few of the surviving tapes have credits or track sheet info (Yabby’s filing system was between his ears) so this really is an audio-archeology labor of luv.

Some are commenting they feel it unfortunate that the forthcoming Shanachie release will only be a CD and not vinyl. >> Suggest keep tings in perspective and give thanx this project come at all so that the message will be preserved for future generations.

Just as if more Dead Sea Scrolls and Naghamadi Scrolls were to be discovered - what sense would it be to gripe that you cannot get your copy on parchment … times change and this the digi age.

Yabby was much more than just a unique singer songwriter. He identified himself as a Prophet like the prophets from the Days of Old. This was not an idle claim for when you read more of his history in the accompanying booklet, you will see Yabby was what the Jamaicans call a 4 Eyes (aka the gift of Second Sight). Yabby called his label ‘Prophet’ and he named nuff man prophet – ie. Michael Prophet, Curtis Prophet. Good thing tho he named Half Pint – Half Pint because a Half Prophet would have gone flat. :D

This project quite likely will be the only book to be written about Yabby until we get to see the Book of Life. So if you support Yabby message and you want a heap of rare and unreleased musics - mi suggest you support this release.
====<><><><>====
inna di good cheer
A. Peacemaker
Peacemakeya

Postby j j » Tue May 13, 2014 2:24 am

Well I for one give thanks that so much unreleased YY music is now available, with PSounds & B&F & now Shanachie all helping this happen. Can't wait :!: :D
Thanks for the update Peacmeaker.

j j
j j

Postby Donovan » Tue May 13, 2014 3:22 am

You won't hear me bad-mouthing Shanachie, RAS or Heartbeat. People forget how difficult reggae music was to obtain back in the pre-internet days. Those three labels were huge in getting reggae out into the North American market. I'd say half my cassettes are Shanachie green and yellow. They're easy to spot and they get constant play. :D

Having said that, I would encourage Mr. Grass to relook at vinyl. Things have changed so much since the last Shanachie reggae release in 2008. Vinyl is king again and there is nothing looming to top it (downloads are a complimentary format). So many options in pressing houses, prices, weights, # of copies, colors, etc. And it wouldn't just be a favor to the fans - It would sell better, I'll bet.

...But I'll buy my copy regardless. :D
Last edited by Donovan on Tue May 13, 2014 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby Donovan » Tue May 13, 2014 7:02 am

One more thing while I'm talking about Shanachie. My second favorite reggae critic of all time* was "The Phantom Rocker" who did short, concise reviews for the Shanachie newsletters. I think they came out quarterly back in the early 90's before disappearing. Were you "The Phantom Rocker" Alex?

* Favorite critic was Michael Turner, who could be tough sometimes, but never played favorites or sucked up to anyone. Does Mr. Turner still post here?
"Touch them magically with the rod of melody, We will never let them go" Roy Shirley, Touch Them
Donovan

Postby slengteng » Tue May 13, 2014 6:18 pm

skunkride wrote:Give Thanks & Praise was released on a Grove 12", maybe also released on BAF as a CD bonus cut...

Another YY-produced Gladiators song, Blessed Are The Meek, was released as a bonus track on Trinity's Shantytown Determination. But I have serious doubts about this one. However it is not that rare, as I own the 12", and I'm far from being a vinyl addict. The 12" is not that expensive and not so hard to get, I guess.
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby ras2thebone » Wed May 14, 2014 1:04 pm

slengteng wrote:
skunkride wrote:Give Thanks & Praise was released on a Grove 12", maybe also released on BAF as a CD bonus cut...

Another YY-produced Gladiators song, Blessed Are The Meek, was released as a bonus track on Trinity's Shantytown Determination. But I have serious doubts about this one. However it is not that rare, as I own the 12", and I'm far from being a vinyl addict. The 12" is not that expensive and not so hard to get, I guess.

I have a tune by the Gladiators called "Blessed Are The Poor" on a 7" Prophet label. Same tune?
ras2thebone

Postby ras2thebone » Wed May 14, 2014 1:10 pm

jahkob wrote:Have the dubplate cuts to the Born Free riddim been released? Those would do good as a proper release as well.

He tried but the guy wouldn't allow it. If there is anyone else who will allow it then its a possibility. Does anyone know who did the original plate and when? They are being sold off by the hundreds on acetate by at least one guy. There are also a couple being credited to the Prophets but one is a Niney production with Mr. Stone on the vocal 1978.
ras2thebone

Postby slengteng » Wed May 14, 2014 5:34 pm

ras2thebone wrote:
slengteng wrote:

I have a tune by the Gladiators called "Blessed Are The Poor" on a 7" Prophet label. Same tune?

Same tune. "Blessed are the Poor" is the 7", "Blessed are the Meak" is the 12" with Trinity starting toasting at 2:35, "Blessed are the Meek" is the exact same 12" as the BAF CD bonus track.
"hablo de estar a la vez en miles de hogares"
slengteng

Postby skunkride » Wed May 14, 2014 7:39 pm

ras2thebone wrote:There are also a couple being credited to the Prophets but one is a Niney production with Mr. Stone on the vocal 1978.

Theres 'Roots Natty Congo' & the chanting piece, both by Yabby You. The other one is 'If You Want To Be A Man' by an unknown artist, doesn't sound like Mr. Stone to my ears. Sound clips here :

http://soundcloud.com/marleyarchives/ya ... y-congo-if

- - -
skunkride

Postby RB » Thu May 15, 2014 12:55 am

don't think he meant the 'born free' rhythm cuts, think he was just making another point on top of that?
RB

Postby ras2thebone » Thu May 15, 2014 9:31 pm

RB wrote:don't think he meant the 'born free' rhythm cuts, think he was just making another point on top of that?

Yes, I was talking about other plates aside from the "Born Free" riddim. Here is one I have that is credited to the Prophets. Definitely a Niney production.

https://soundcloud.com/marleyarchives/p ... ed/s-AdINz
ras2thebone

Postby jahkob » Fri May 16, 2014 1:12 pm

ras2thebone wrote:
RB wrote:don't think he meant the 'born free' rhythm cuts, think he was just making another point on top of that?

Yes, I was talking about other plates aside from the "Born Free" riddim. Here is one I have that is credited to the Prophets. Definitely a Niney production.

https://soundcloud.com/marleyarchives/p ... ed/s-AdINz

That sounds like a dubplate cut to Mr Stone´s "Jah Jah Higher Than I", which Niney indeed did produce. I have no idea who Mr Stone is though. Maybe he´s Prophets affiliated?
. . . live good and good shall come to you . . .
jahkob

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion