Suggestions for recording vinyl to pc

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Suggestions for recording vinyl to pc

Postby StepDubStep » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:05 am

I have recently bought a new pc and I am excited to finally have the opportunity to digitize some of my vinyl collection. I don't think my soundcard is going to cut it. Any suggestions on what soundcard or software and method is good for this would be much appreciated. I will mostly be using these digital files for casual listening. I have a beast of a pc that is pretty much compatible with anything. Dell xps730x i7 3.2 Ghz quad core. Thanks!
Me no skin teeth and me no play!
StepDubStep

Re: Suggestions for recording vinyl to pc

Postby SteveT » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:01 am

I've always used Audacity. Just run a lead from the mixer to the laptop.
SteveT

Postby kalcidis » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:53 am

Buy a good AD-converter and as SteveT says use audacity (free and does everything you could ever need out of it). If you want the music as mp3's you can either install LAME on Audacity or use a separate software to convert the WAV files with. I save my music as both WAV and mp3.
kalcidis

Postby beenie bongo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:41 pm

kinda obvious but.. DO clean your records before recording them.
beenie bongo

Postby StepDubStep » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:34 am

I appreciate your advice. I will certainly clean each record first. And WAV format is just fine as I have plenty of storage space and would prefer it anyway. Forgive my ignorance, But I have an idea of what I would like to do and really don't know what I need to accomplish it. The ADC makes sense to me. But am I correct in assuming the signal needs to be amplified between the turntable and the ADC? All I have currently is my Tubby's 3way. Will that work? Is there a way to monitor the analog input levels in Audacity? And maybe someone could recommend an affordable ADC?
Me no skin teeth and me no play!
StepDubStep

Postby nyah » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:53 am

Hi,

Heard some good things about this - Pro-Ject Record Box USB -
I think the price should be around 100euro.
I have their debut carbon turntable and trust they deliver quality products.
No need to use an amplifier between your turntable and this box.

http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=recordboxusb&cat=boxes&lang=en

Hope this helps you a bit!

Grts
inna rub-a-dub style
nyah

Postby Rockers Galore » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:38 am

nyah wrote:Heard some good things about this - Pro-Ject Record Box USB

Yes I have slightly earlier version of that Pro-Ject Phono Box and it works a treat connecting my deck to a Mac Pro. I use Roxio's Toast software (Spin Doctor) to record my vinyl. Not cheap (£85) but does loads of other stuff too depending on what version you buy. Never used Audacity but if it's free probably worth a try first.
http://www.roxio.co.uk/
Review here
http://www.macworld.com/article/1159137 ... eview.html

Another discussion on the same topic here...
http://www.45cat.com/45_forum_topic_view.php?t=3181
Rockers Galore

Postby Turna » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:27 pm

i use a little usb interface as my computer does not have a line-in, so i just plug the mixer direct into the interface with mini jack, then usb from interface to computer. then i simply set up the audio input recording level and use either audacity or cool edit pro (later renamed adobe audition) as your software to record. cool edit pro is quite handy as it is multitrack so you can add sound fx, jingles etc quite easily aftrwards - you then just bounce down to a single track as your master file.

if your computer does have a line-in mini jack input then you might not even need the interface.

my interface does not appear to even have a name but it was only about £15 from amazon or maplin (i cant remember) and the quality is fine for the purposes of doing mixtapes and podcasts
Turna

Return to General discussion