Discogs - Let's Use It!

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Discogs - Let's Use It!

Postby Carter Van Pelt » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:10 pm

This is a note of encouragement to everyone here: Please consider contributing accurate release information from your collection to Discogs where it is not presently available. I would love to see the reggae database in Discogs get to the point that it could be considered comprehensive, obviating the need for a paid service. It is far from that point right now, but I've found roughly 90% of titles in my collection are already listed in some form, and I'm going through everything in my collection with a goal of a new listing for every non-listed title.

As long as you learn how to use it, follow the format rules, and enter information with some curatorial care, especially use track runout/matrix info when possible, you will be doing the reggae community a service.

You can also keep track of your own collection, and it will compile price data from past sales. This gives you a basic idea of value for insurance purposes (within a broad range), which is what motivated me initially. Now I see it as having greater potential for documentation of Jamaican music.

--Carter

P.S. You can find me there as cartervanpelt - no fake names, less bad behavior!
Carter Van Pelt

Re: Discogs - Let's Use It!

Postby Baba Jonah » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:32 pm

I've sold on there for a few years, contributed around 130 releases. Its way better than eBay for selling, and as a buyer people tend to price their tunes very well, certainly as far as reggae goes (check Reggae On Top as an example of this). I find the forum on Discogs very helpful as well, many questions I had both as a buyer and seller were already asked and answered on there.

Its not all good as a seller. Lots of people buy tunes then don't pay, then get moody when you message them about it, sad to say mostly in my experience of selling its Italians (no reflection on the majority of Italians who pay and buy again). Maybe I just got unlucky. The other complaint, and quite justified, is the postage argument. To send a 12 inch record in a card mailer recorded delivery to Europe costs £10.25 International Signed-For Delivery from Royal Mail, understandable a lot of European buyers resent this. Trouble is, in my experience of French and Italian post I've been unlucky (and with eBay too) in that if you don't use this service sending outta UK records tend to 'disappear', and sellers lose money, and the record.
http://www.facebook.com/jahecho.hifi
http://www.facebook.com/CentahSound
Baba Jonah

Postby jb welda » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Edit: on further reflection I decided I didn't really mean most of that...if Carter supports something, then I support it too. Carter is one person I know who will get it done and get it done right. massive respect cvp.

one love
jb
Last edited by jb welda on Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jb welda

Postby minidub » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:16 pm

I made my first purchase on discogs less than a week ago. speaking only as a buyer, it was extremely easy to do.

also, I like the idea of cataloguing my vinyl on this site, as it would have some relevance to value that listing them all on my website does not.

lastly, though many may not, i believe jah bill when he says he may just give them away to others, as i have benefitted from his generosity in the past. gwaan jb!

m.

ps--jb, those second set of seeds are progressing very nicely, thank you.
minidub

Postby Carter Van Pelt » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:22 pm

I didn't really intend to go into a discussion of selling, but I think the only way to sell effectively is to do a significant volume, absorb the bad into the good and be willing to let the law of averages work on your side.

Buyers prefer to save on postage through multiple orders, so you have to give them that opportunity.

I've been extremely happy with both my Discogs and Ebay selling. I prefer Discogs especially when I'm not entirely confident I want to get rid of something. I can list it and let it sit at a high price and wait for an offer. No harm done because there is no listing fee, only a sale fee.

On Ebay, you have to put a lot of work into a very large listing to get good results. Listings have to be tight and professional or buyers will stay way. I've watched the growth and ridiculous success of a friend of mine in New York who was new to selling reggae online as of 4 years ago and now he does more volume than almost anyone.

Baba Jonah, that's great that you've contributed 130 listings to Discogs - exactly what I'm hoping people will do and what I intend to do. I think I've contributed less than 50 so far, but have hundreds set aside. I have hardly scratched the surface on my 7-inch collection. It will take some time but I'm looking forward to it.

As long as I have my data entered and downloaded before iTunes buys Discogs, I'll avoid the problem Jah Bill is predicting, oh my sour old friend :)
Carter Van Pelt

Postby Billy_Boom » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:49 pm

I'm a big fan. The reggae entries have really been filling out over the past several years! It's a bit tricky creating entries at first but it does all make sense once you figure out how.

I highly doubt it will become a subscription service — the 8% taken from every sale is almost certainly more than discogs would make if they charged to use their database. Discog's sales would plummet if you needed to pay just to log on and folks would just sell entirely on ebay again.

The 8% seller fees are reasonable and I've occasionally had good luck finding records for much less than the going ebay rate. I've had one negative experience with a buyer (which worked out in the end) and a couple times I received damaged records, but overall it's been a hassle-free experience for me. The correspondence area on the order page is something that I really love. Ebay discourages sellers and buyers from communicating (no ebay, you did not answer my question!), whereas on discogs I've had some great ping-ponging messages on the order page about reggae.
Billy_Boom

Postby dan i dubdub » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:58 pm

when I first joined Discogs (which I don't use very much and have only sold 2 records through so far) I tried to contribute some record details and I must have done something very wrong (hmmm) because I got dozens of emails about my having put something in the wrong confusing box. Haven't bothered trying to do that again and I really don't have the time unless I was selling more tunes.

Apart from that, I am a fan and have bought several things at good prices.
bring love spread peace

dan i
dan i dubdub

Postby guillaumebougard » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:17 pm

Carter Van Pelt wrote:
P.S. You can find me there as cartervanpelt - no fake names, less bad behavior!

Slight correction, Carter: you're found under carter van pelt, with spaces between carter, van and pelt, not cartervanpelt
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby Mark T » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:40 pm

I love Discogs. I've bought a lot from there (haven't sold anything - but that's mainly because I don't sell things), have edited and contributed releases. There certainly needs some cleaning up as people have for instance listed Joe Gibbs Gold Series as original press (just an example). Contributing is a bit tricky at first but it tells you which sections need correcting.
It's an easy way to create a wants list as well.
Mark T
Mark T

Postby Carter Van Pelt » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:38 pm

Hey there Guillaume,

I was actually referring to my account name/id. I didn't realize until your comment that I show up in a couple album credits - only because some kind soul entered the data in a comprehensive way, including the name of the compiler/album note writer.

To the general conversation, the Discogs way of doing things is challenging at first, but then it starts to make sense.

There is certainly an incredible amount of updating/correcting to do on reggae entries, and that's why I'm calling reggae experts to arms to check the entries against their personal collections. It can only improve over time.

Yes, I've entered a number of original pressings where only a repress entry existed. More of that needs to happen.

--Carter
Carter Van Pelt

Postby jb welda » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:42 pm

don't give me that sour old bullbleep Carter, its what happens when you catch me before the first draw of the day.

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby rastapopoulos » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:20 pm

At first I was really enthusiastic about the whole concept. I submitted about 20 titles. It is quite some work, but I liked the idee that the information would be preserved. Until I was confronted with a so called voter. Some participants get a higher status, they can decide whether submitted information is right or wrong. I had the bad luck that one guy decided to pick on me and started to scrutinize my entries. He voted negative for any entry where he could find a little mistake (like correct info entered in the wrong box). For the entries which were entirely correct he wouldn't vote, but simply ignore them. The result was that I got a message from Discogs that I am not allowed to contribute anymore, unless I was going to ask for positive votes from their voters. Than you have to line up on a waiting list, etc. I didn't feel like getting into a whole new bureaucracy, I felt it was so injust that a guy is trying to put a newcomer down in order to protect his own high ranking status as a voter I guess, so I just forgot about the whole contributing thing.

I think I was crazy that I wasted days to find out how to contribute and took hours and hours to enter information, for a website that in the end has a pure commercial goal. I rather spend my free time at message boards like these, where people with real love for the music meet.
rastapopoulos

Postby Mr Thô » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:01 am

Mr Thô

Postby Reggaemusicstore » Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:07 am

I've got a lot of tunes for sale there now too and have contributed quite a few as well http://www.discogs.com/seller/Reggaemusicstore . From a sellers point of view I like it and the big advantage over Ebay of course is the lack of listing fees. I've tried to be as accurate as possible when submitting things but at first I also got a number of messages from trainspotter types ranting about inaccuracies in my listings, including one who demanded I include the category "electronic" on one of my own Jah Warrior productions! In the end I just turned off notifications for those type of messages cos I don't have time for it.
Reggaemusicstore

Postby Rockers Galore » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:22 am

As an alternative to Discogs you could try 45Cat http://www.45cat.com/

Not much new stuff up there yet but pretty good for UK labels running through the 60s and 70s. Dead easy to add an entry (once you're a member) and the overall look and feel of the site is a bit clearer than Discogs I think. There are separate sites for 12s, LPs etc http://www.45worlds.com/

It's not a buying or selling site though so don't go there if you want to buy any of the records.

Here's a few entries to get started...

Blue Beat
http://www.45cat.com/label/blue-beat

Island
http://www.45cat.com/label/island

Coxsone (UK)
http://www.45cat.com/label/coxsone

Studio 1 (UK)
http://www.45cat.com/label/studio-1

And a bit more up to date...

Jah Tubbys
http://www.45cat.com/label/jah-tubbys