Pick A Dub - The Junior Walker connection

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Pick A Dub - The Junior Walker connection

Postby Werner » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:41 pm

Interesting story, I don't think I've heard about this before. I also notice that Junior Walker has reissued Pick A Dub on his Jusic label.
http://jusic20.wordpress.com/2013/02/27/pick-a-dub-feat-king-tubby-the-barrett-bros/
So has this been acknowledged elsewhere?
Werner

Re: Pick A Dub - The Junior Walker connection

Postby roots tradition » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:13 pm

Didn't know he was involved with Pick A Dub (Familyman is credited as co-producer), but he was credited with Keith Hudson on the later Nuh Skin Up Dub lp. Also didn't know King Tubby was involved as the cover says it was mixed at Harry J's.
roots tradition

Postby roots tradition » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:18 pm

roots tradition wrote:the cover says it was mixed at Harry J's.

...not the cover Roots Archives.
roots tradition

Postby capullo » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:08 pm

capullo

Postby Mr B » Mon Mar 03, 2014 5:58 pm

Amazon link to his book below - Junia Reggae : The Journey from King St. by Norman Walker

http://amzn.to/1eMHeF1
Mr B

Postby jb welda » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:22 pm

you know, when I hear "junior walker" I think of Jr Walker and the All Stars, specifically Shotgun (shoot it fore you run now). evidently this jr walker has nothing to do with that jr walker? or are they somehow connected?

otherwise, never really heard of a Jamaican jr walker and don't understand why this would be something to note. fill me in please

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby j j » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:25 am

Junia walker was a friend of Keiths & had some music business dealings with him. I have that book & although there are some interesting parts in it, it does end up being about a long list of people who pissed Junia off over his life time. Not the best reggae read by a long shot.

j j
j j

Postby capullo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:40 am

according to the book, junia produced this dj track with jah woosh at king tubby's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lesjxAjC68
capullo

Postby Peter Dalton » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:52 pm

j.b.welda: I don't know to much about the Jamaican Junior Walker, except he had nothing to do with the American who recorded "Shotgun," and besides a handful of tunes under his own name for his own Jusic Music label he also produced a Jah Stitch single called "Jail House Rock."
Peter Dalton

Postby capullo » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:28 pm

from the book "junia reggae" by junior walker

after playing those songs a man came to me and gave me a pile of records and said: "bob send this for you". he gave me seven or eight records he was selling in his store mostly from associate labels and his friends. he would have heard from what i was playing that i had most of bob marley's and wailers records already, ones i had previously bought from selvin. later on the album "rastaman vibration" was released with the track "roots, rock reggae", it was years after his death i put together the fact of the lines that said "play i on the r&b, i want all my people to see, we bubbling on the top 100, just like a mighty dread". "rainbow country" already had "hey mr. music (junior walker), you sure sound good to me" so he re-worked it to include those words as if saying at last he got a chance to show his neighbours who were oblivious to the strides he was making and i came and gave them a preview by "playing him on the "r&b". in those days news wasn't as global as it is now, bob would do a show abroad and months later you might see an article wit a photo and that was it.
capullo

Return to General discussion