Barry Brown - The Thompson Sound 79-82

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Barry Brown - The Thompson Sound 79-82

Postby mghifi » Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:16 am

mghifi

Re: Barry Brown - The Thompson Sound 79-82

Postby RB » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:45 am

straight reissue of the Thompson Sound LP from the late 90s it seems. bit of a shame to see this somewhat haphazard collection (and that not-great photo of Barry also from the late 90s) re-appear rather than a more carefully curated comp. of the Linval produced material. couple of the best tunes are missing, and at least one (but i think more as well IIRC) of the songs on the TS LP are just earlier tunes re-titled.
still, better to see material like this be available again regardless. big up hotmilk sameway. sorry to be critical, but BB is my favorite artist!
RB

Postby Congo Bunny » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:20 am

Didn't catch it first time around, not seen it anywhere before. I was struck the other day by just how much Barry Brown I own, so guess it's foregone that I will be buying this
Congo Bunny

Postby jah_vaults » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:44 pm

IS this Barry Brown a C.D. release only no vinyl ?
jah_vaults

Postby jah_vaults » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:05 pm

RB wrote:straight reissue of the Thompson Sound LP from the late 90s it seems. bit of a shame to see this somewhat haphazard collection (and that not-great photo of Barry also from the late 90s) re-appear rather than a more carefully curated comp. of the Linval produced material. couple of the best tunes are missing, and at least one (but i think more as well IIRC) of the songs on the TS LP are just earlier tunes re-titled.
still, better to see material like this be available again regardless. big up hotmilk sameway. sorry to be critical, but BB is my favorite artist!

Hot milk says most of theses tracks are all mostly unreleased and were shelved at the time and not released I think most are not unreleased and not unheard before now has anybody listened to the clips? Or As RB said most tracks were released on the Barry Brown Thompson sound Vinyl Lp

Here is the tracklist from the Barry Brown Thompson sound Lp

A1 Please Officer
A2 Please Officer Version
A3 Ketch-A-Fire
A4 Can't Stop Natty Dread
A5 It Rough My Brother
A6 Mount Zion
A7 Free Dreadlocks
B1 Don't Mess With Natty Dread
B2 You Don't Know Who To Trust
B3 Life Is So Funny
B4 Life Is So Funny Version
B5 Love Jah So
B6 Love Jah So Version
B7 Love Is Pure

Here is tracklist from the Hot milk Cd and Seven inch boxset
Barry Brown - The Thompson Sound 1979-82 (Hot Milk) CD

Final release of an album recorded with producer Linval Thompson way back in the early eighties, but never released at the time due to one thing or another. Featuring the late Barry Brown, head-top youth singer supreme, atop a selection of fine Roots Radics rhythms, many familiar from other better known cuts, recorded at Channel One and mixed at King Tubby's with Scientist at the controls.

Track listing:

1. Please Officer
2. Please Officer (Version)
3. Ketch A Fire
4. Can't Stop Natty Dread
5. It Rough My Brother
6. Mount Zion
7. Free Dreadlocks
8. Don't Mess With Natty Dread
9. You Don't Know Who To Trust
10. You Don't Know Who To Trust (Version)
11. Life Is So Funny
12. Love Jah So
13. Love Jah So (Version)
13. Love Is Pure

So was this released or unreleased?
jah_vaults

Postby jahkob » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:47 am

don't know if it wasn't released when it was thought to be released back in the late 70s/early 80s but it did see light as RB states in the late 90s as Thompson Sound: http://www.discogs.com/Barry-Brown-Barr ... se/2322880

could be it haven't been released on CD before though.
. . . do good and good will follow you . . .
jahkob

Postby guillaumebougard » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:44 am

the music is great but they could have picked a picture of Barry looking in better shape.
I got the wav files release so I could have it now!!!
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby Ranchie » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:45 pm

Anyone get a hold of the Record Store Day 7" box set of this? Curious about the sound quality before I lay down US $45 for it ;)
Ranchie

Postby flashman » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:12 pm

I got the RSD set. It is very impressively done in terms of the packaging. And they made different Hot Milk labels for each 7", which I thought was going the extra mile. Very handsome. I admit it's gimmicky, like most RSD releases. But I think it was worth the price.

Oh, you asked about sound. I'd say the sound is good. I doubt anyone would be disappointed with it.
flashman

Postby Ranchie » Fri May 01, 2015 1:36 pm

Thanks for the reply flashman, I'll probably pick it up. The combination of artist/producer/period in that format is too good to pass up. Need to add some reggae this year to my haul of Grateful Dead RSD releases :)
Ranchie

Postby jah_vaults » Fri May 01, 2015 3:55 pm

Maybe The Album will be pressed on vinyl album LP by hotmilk Label even though seven inch box set has been released.

Anybody know if it will see vinyl LP album release
jah_vaults

Postby jah_vaults » Thu May 14, 2015 9:21 pm

jah_vaults wrote:
RB wrote:straight reissue of the Thompson Sound LP from the late 90s it seems. bit of a shame to see this somewhat haphazard collection (and that not-great photo of Barry also from the late 90s) re-appear rather than a more carefully curated comp. of the Linval produced material. couple of the best tunes are missing, and at least one (but i think more as well IIRC) of the songs on the TS LP are just earlier tunes re-titled.

Hot milk says most of theses tracks are all mostly unreleased and were shelved at the time and not released I think most are not unreleased and not unheard before now has anybody listened to the clips? Or As RB said most tracks were released on the Barry Brown Thompson sound Vinyl Lp

Here is the tracklist from the Barry Brown Thompson sound Lp

A1 Please Officer
A2 Please Officer Version
A3 Ketch-A-Fire
A4 Can't Stop Natty Dread
A5 It Rough My Brother
A6 Mount Zion
A7 Free Dreadlocks
B1 Don't Mess With Natty Dread
B2 You Don't Know Who To Trust
B3 Life Is So Funny
B4 Life Is So Funny Version
B5 Love Jah So
B6 Love Jah So Version
B7 Love Is Pure

Here is tracklist from the Hot milk Cd and Seven inch boxset
Barry Brown - The Thompson Sound 1979-82 (Hot Milk) CD

Final release of an album recorded with producer Linval Thompson way back in the early eighties, but never released at the time due to one thing or another. Featuring the late Barry Brown, head-top youth singer supreme, atop a selection of fine Roots Radics rhythms, many familiar from other better known cuts, recorded at Channel One and mixed at King Tubby's with Scientist at the controls.

Track listing:

1. Please Officer
2. Please Officer (Version)
3. Ketch A Fire
4. Can't Stop Natty Dread
5. It Rough My Brother
6. Mount Zion
7. Free Dreadlocks
8. Don't Mess With Natty Dread
9. You Don't Know Who To Trust
10. You Don't Know Who To Trust (Version)
11. Life Is So Funny
12. Love Jah So
13. Love Jah So (Version)
13. Love Is Pure

So was this released or unreleased?

Does anyone have the Barry Brown Album Called Barry Brown On Thompson sound vinyl LP what is sound quality like? Is It good On The Thompson sound Lp or crackly and hissy pressing ? Or are some presses better then others? Anybody own the Lp on Thompson sounds?, Was curious as the 7inch boxset released for record store day was said to be of very good sound quality along with the c.d. released by Hot Milk Label. Anbody know if they were remastered by Hotmilk before being released is there any info on the maybe re-mastering of the C.D. album and the 7inch boxset?
jah_vaults

Postby skunkride » Thu May 14, 2015 10:00 pm

The Thompson Sound LP isn't noisy or crackly, however it have quite a long playing time so the sound is a bit flat. Not too bad but i'm sure it sounds a lot better on 45s...
skunkride

Postby Tomcat » Thu May 14, 2015 10:06 pm

I got the RSD release sound is top top
Tomcat

Postby flashman » Sun May 17, 2015 8:12 am

Sound leaves nothing to be desired. But I just noticed one strange anomaly. Out of all the 7's, one side, Ketch a Fire, runs at 33 rpm rather then 45. In keeping with random quality issues typical of reggae releases. Wonder if it was done on purpose, tongue in cheek? :-)
Update: just realized it's probably just that the running time of that tune is too long to fit on 45.
Last edited by flashman on Sun May 17, 2015 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flashman

Next

Return to General discussion