The Last Great Producer

Talk to your hearts content.....but keep it sweet! No record sales, live events listings or ebay labba labba.

Moderator: B&F Moderator

Re: The Last Great Producer

Postby formula » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:29 pm

keety roots is still producing bad tunes
formula

Postby formula » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:32 pm

and what about martin campbell
formula

Postby capullo » Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:22 pm

hopefully not the "last" but for me, nick manasseh is one of the most gifted! can do any style, always top quality...
capullo

Postby Dubba » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:50 pm

If you're going to start mentioning people like mannaseh and Keety roots, then Russ D must surely get a mention. Has a far greater body of work than a lot of people being touted.
Dubba

Postby johnnyB » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:29 pm

Donovan "Don Corleon" Bennett.Not a favourite over here but the release of his Drop Leaf Riddim in 2004 gave roots reggae in JA a new coat of paint.I consider Protoje's latest album he produced a modern classic.
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby jb welda » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:58 pm

I think that dougie guy deserves a mention too

one love
jb
jb welda

Postby SolarHighPower » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:23 pm

FATTIS!!
would add up Bobby Digital if him wouldn't produce so much wack tunes lately..

Don Corleon a great producer must be a joke
SolarHighPower

Postby SolarHighPower » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:26 pm

johnnyB wrote:Donovan "Don Corleon" Bennett.Not a favourite over here but the release of his Drop Leaf Riddim in 2004 gave roots reggae in JA a new coat of paint.I consider Protoje's latest album he produced a modern classic.

this new style actually killed the traditional dancehall reggae and roots reggae and invited whole heap of weird people to reggae.. how this could be consider great?
SolarHighPower

Postby SolarHighPower » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:28 pm

actually Sly And Robbie are still active and is always a joy to tune in to a Taxi rhythm.
Sly and Robbie are the last real producers.
SolarHighPower

Postby roots tradition » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:24 am

SolarHighPower wrote:actually Sly And Robbie are still active and is always a joy to tune in to a Taxi rhythm.

Personally don't regard Sly and Robbie as great producers (great players though) so the prize has to go to Scratch.
roots tradition

Postby johnnyB » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:47 pm

@SolarHighPower: first of all Donovan Bennett didn't kill anything.Some of his tunes & riddims were and still are successful and consequently influenced other producers & artists.Never heard he stopped other people from producing heavier music.About inviting new weird people into reggae well...don't know who you're talking about.To me it's always been the more the merrier.
You don't have to like his music to admit he created a new style with a consistent amount of quality releases.If I listen to a tune and can tell who's the producer then to me that's a great producer.Even if the tune sucks.
...who feels it knows it...
johnnyB

Postby lankou » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:16 pm

The last great producer???? pHEEEEW, that's a tough one!!!!
Must be Lenky Marsden for me, way ahead of his time, too much of a maverick in the conservative reggae world, i suppose, great at reggae (check certain 90's sounds on Penthouse), brilliant at dancehall when it used to be innovative, still trying to develop new sounds - not always successful but points up for trying!
I'd say more or less of the same about Sly Dunbar but he just can't be the last great producer!
Difficult to say as many producers mentioned are basically executive producers, like Donovan Germain.
Bobby Digital is definitely one of the last great ones, alongside Fattis (who relied a lot on Sly & Robbie and other musicians/producers, but who injected his own vibes) and Dave Kelly (who rarely impresses in the 2000's. Richard Bell is also in that top list, though he relied heavily on his pool of musicians, all of them also being producers in their own rights (Sly & Robbie, Firehouse Crew, Mafia & Fluxy). At least, Star Trail had their own vibes.
In the UK, hard for me to tell. I'd say Mafia & Fluxy, Ruff Cutt, Carl McLeod and Musclehead, though the latter are mostly executives. Nowadays Mike Pelanconi and Mungo (though they've not reached greatness yet and rely on well-tried formulas).
BDF and Lone-Ark are also tops but have not yet reached greatness, it's basically because they don't evolve in a world where reggae still plays a major part.
I think Fattis 's son has what it takes to become a great producer, unfortunately, how can you become one in a world where such music doesn't sell anymore?

"this new style actually killed the traditional dancehall reggae". "Traditional" and "dancehall" don't go too well together,oxymoron!: dancehall kept evolving for many many years and still does, though way less fast and impressively than it used to, not everyone has to enjoy the current vibes but this is just a conservative point of view. I don't enjoy Corleone's stuff much, to say the least, and feel that his reggae is often a real weak sound but he did some great hardcore dancehall in his time. His influence on reggae was rather unpleasant to my ears, let alone what his followers did.
lankou

Postby guillaumebougard » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:52 pm

roots tradition wrote:
SolarHighPower wrote:actually Sly And Robbie are still active and is always a joy to tune in to a Taxi rhythm.

Personally don't regard Sly and Robbie as great producers (great players though) so the prize has to go to Scratch.

If they are not great producers, not a lot of them are... they porobably have more hits produced by themselves than anyone else.
https://www.facebook.com/slyandrobbieofficial
guillaumebougard

Postby underated » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:00 pm

Some interesting thoughts,
& so much music to check out in depth in the future.

Sly & Robbie just seemed to be so creative in the 80's & early 90's.
Much more than just session musicians.

I used to listen to a lot of their stuff.
Would like to hear them get back to the experimentation board.
Forget about the clock & sessions & just mess with electronic gear.
Get back to that creative side.

Then again i might have missed some of their material, so much music all around it's hard to keep up with artists.
As regards to the UK, same thing not familiar with plenty of producers & sounds.
What i did hear sounded a bit retro though, like being stuck in time , the early 90's never went away kind of thing.

I guess the Mad Professor is the last great producer from the UK.
Very creative type, smooth productions.

Well at the end of the day it's all about opinions & it's nice to hear others.
underated

Postby roots tradition » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:43 pm

I'm not saying Sly and Robbie haven't produced some great chunes (Wailing Souls, Viceroys, Gregory Isaacs) but as producers I don't think they're quite up there with Coxsone Dodd, Duke Reid, Bunny Lee, Scratch and Pablo.
roots tradition

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion